How do you use this group/board? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've been hanging around here for about a year. Took me 6 months or so to register and I've noticed a change in how I use this site.

Initially, it was for learning about FG trailers and where to find one. Then it was looking for prices, problems, fixes and mods. Then thanks to the support and comments from a couple of the moderators here (Gina and Donna), I took the plunge and bought a wreck. Not to mention Jaye580 who showed me (and better yet, my wife) what could be done in a short period of time.

Since then, we've been to a couple of FG meets, done some fixes and mods. Took a 5000 Km trip and seen a lot of other FG trailers. We've met a lot of fine people on line with similar interests, by telephone, or even in person.

Seems like yesterday that we were in PEI with Karl for his first GT, meeting a great bunch of people and buying a set of replacement cushions. {BTW Karl, love your poster, but the door is curbside rather than street-side!}

Over a month has passed with family and work occupying our time, I just realized we have not downloaded a couple of months of pictures from the camera to the computer to post here. I'm really surprised I have not seen my tongue mods posted by others yet! That shows some respect from the people using the group.

So as one migrates from hunting for a trailer, learning about them, fixing them and then meeting similar people. I'm wondering where you are in the life cycle of this group and how you use it? Maybe one day, I'll understand where I am and where I'm headed.

So where are you in both your life and the life of your trailer?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
So as one migrates from hunting for a trailer, learning about them, fixing them and then meeting similar people. I'm wondering where you are in the life cycle of this group and how you use it? Maybe one day, I'll understand where I am and where I'm headed.

Phew! That's a deep and meaningful question you're asking there!

I'm maybe six months behind you

Seriously though, I reckon I'll be able to start the reno's on my Boler in about a month and plan on having it usable and able to attend the two Florida meets next Spring.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I'm wondering where you are in [b]the life cycle of this group and how you use it? Maybe one day, I'll understand where I am and where I'm headed.

[b]Fiberglass RV University
Administrators & Moderators = Faculty & Staff

Since I am currently in my 2nd Fiberglass Trailer, would that make me a Graduate Student?

I started out in a "Junior College", [b]The School of Hard Knocks
Bought a gutted out Compact Junior and wound up doing everything over twice just to get it right & keep it from falling apart.

It was more of an independant study program, since this was before I was directed here by another student (Lizbeth). Lizbeth has a double major, Stick-Built & Fiberglass, and she convinced me to transfer here from a Stick-Built school.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
As newbies, we come to learn about FGRVs. As veterans, we come back to share what we've learned with other newbies. That's what civilization is all about.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
.... and I'm still learning.

Like has been said: The more I learn, the less I know.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
It was more of an independant study program, since this was before I was directed here by another student (Lizbeth). Lizbeth has a double major, Stick-Built & Fiberglass, and she convinced me to transfer here from a Stick-Built school.
Oh my gosh I had forgotten about that. Didn't know what you were getting into huh?

I'm an internet junkie. Whatever is striking my interest fancy get looked up to death on the net, my neverending library.

I stumbled onto this site researching trailers in general. Small trailers in particuliar. We were working on a small water damaged sticky. I think (ok I know) I read every single post on here. Fiberglass sounded GOOD!

I found a trailer through a member on this site. Posted when thing appeared to go south on the deal, rejoiced when things finally didn't. Got lots of great advice on restoring her, which is a continuing effort.

Now I stay because I have met wonderful people here who share the same interests as I.
Dang now I'm interested in cast iron cookware.....

And as Suz says "The more I learn, the less I know."
Old 09-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
I stumbled onto this site researching trailers in general. Small trailers in particuliar. I read every single post on here. Fiberglass sounded GOOD!

Now I stay because I have met wonderful people here who share the same interests as I.
Dang now I'm interested in cast iron cookware.....
And as Suz says "The more I learn, the less I know."
These are all the reasons I am a member here...........as of yet I do not have an * Egg * sure do hope to someday real soon. I have learned so very much here about TT,Tugs and campers in general it is just a fun place to hang out and visit with people that all seem to have the same values and interest that I do. On top of all that I get to see places other people have been and learn about great places to camp or just visit someday. another added plus is the Okra .......fun to read,good to eat and the jokes topic is also good. Ok well I just like everything about this sight. [b]Thanks to all my FGRV Forum Friends
..........Lynn M
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I started hanging out here to learn about FG's compared to stick. Because people said that everything was repairable, I bought my Love Bug as a wreck from a Jamie. It was a project that he never had time to complete. I used the members here to learn to repair frame, floor, fiberglass, leaks, rivets, mold, windows and axles. Without the help that I got, I never would have even thought about trying the renovation of my Bug. When I brought it home, my family told me that they would never sleep in THAT THING.

My main purpose of visiting the site now is to see where everyone is going, look at cool pictures and occassionally through in my repair experience. I drop by the site almost every day to see how everyone is doing.

Have a great day.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I like this site because many, if not most, own trailers that are 'experienced' and therefore there is little rigid 'keep it stock' thinking.

Because of the above, I sometimes get a kick out of injecting a 'monkey wrench' comment or two into some discussions that follow the 'line of the establishment'. One of my favorites is the proponents of strict adherance to trailer rated tires of a certain size. Another is selecting a tow vehicle close to it's tow weight rating in the name of 'economy'.

Occasionally, there are some very interesting and imaginative mods that are published. So I check in and out whenever it is convenient.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry

Greetings All
I owned my FGRV for about nine uears before I discovered this site. All I could do was travel with it when time and weather permitted. Therefore it only got about 25 - 30 days use each year. Since joining this group, I have a constant year around source of stimuli to keep the FGRV in mind.
Because I think of it more, I plan and have begun alterations to the interior to adapt it better to our specific needs. In the spring of '07 it will get painted. We are working towards retirement and an extended trip with the Dolphin possibly taking up to 2 years. Even now our usage has expanded from April until early November. Last year We celebrated Easter by inviting all of the inlaws and outlaws to join us at the Carseland Wyndham provincial park, where We prepared for and served 14 people. a Sunshine Breakfast. Reading fellow FGRV'er ideas have helped us grow a few of our own and has increased our appreciation of the fun to be had.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote