How Far Can a Gas Truck & an Electric Ford Lightning Go Towing the Same Camper On ONE - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-13-2022, 06:17 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
How Far Can a Gas Truck & an Electric Ford Lightning Go Towing the Same Camper On ONE

How Far Can a Gas Truck & an Electric Ford Lightning Go Towing the Same Camper On ONE Fill-up?
The F-150 Lightning could only go 80 miles.

jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:58 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
More on the topic in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
How Far Can a Gas Truck & an Electric Ford Lightning Go Towing the Same Camper On ONE Fill-up?
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...cle-99082.html
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:43 AM   #3

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Other threads on this same video have devolved far beyond any semblance of this apples / oranges "comparison", so I'm adding my comments here.
Let's use common conversion factors to get an apples to apples comparison:

Ford: 98 kWh of usable battery capacity (at 33.7 kWh energy in a US gallon of gasoline, or the same energy as in 2.9 gallons). 85.9 miles claimed at .7 kWh/mi rate of use as stated is 60.13 kWh consumed (from the battery).
The DC fast charger used has less energy loss than an AC to DC converter/chargerunit, and the battery wasn't charged to 100%, so the actual electric energy used to regain the 60.13 kWh consumed is unknown. I expect it will be somewhere around 10% more than what was used (based on my AC/DC home measurements of 15% loss at 115 VAC, 12% at 230VAC). So 65 kWh needed to put back 60? At 33.7 kWh equivalent to a gallon the MPGe (miles per gallon equivalent) is 48.2 or 43.4 if counting the charging loss.
Chevy: 24 gallon capacity tank (equal to 809 kWh). Fuel usage was 17.37 gallons to go 155.8 miles or 8.97 MPG.

So: 40+ MPG towing, but a "3 gallon" equivalent tank, or 9 mpg towing with a 24 gallon tank.
Old 08-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #4

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Can't wait for this same video to be posted again......
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #5

Wisconsin
Registry
And some lemons??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon MB View Post
Other threads on this same video have devolved far beyond any semblance of this apples / oranges "comparison", so I'm adding my comments here.
Electric is the source of the month this month. But that new "Inflation Reduction Act" just signed will be promoting hydrogen. My local truck stop installed natural GAS when it was the next big thing and now I seldom see a truck filling there. CHANGE IS THE ONLY CONSTANT!

https://spectrum.ieee.org/hydrogen-e...-reduction-act
Old 08-23-2022, 12:01 AM   #6

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: In market
Michigan
Snowbird trips

When I do my snowbird trips, it is 1509 miles one way. I do it in three days. 500 mile, 10 hour days. I don't have time to wait for a full charge several times a day. Electric trucks may be in the future, but for now they just don't cut it for cross country travel.
L. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by L. B. View Post
When I do my snowbird trips, it is 1509 miles one way. I do it in three days. 500 mile, 10 hour days. I don't have time to wait for a full charge several times a day. Electric trucks may be in the future, but for now they just don't cut it for cross country travel.
Sure. But more specifically they don’t work for your needs, trailer and driving schedule. They might be fine for someone else.

We have crossed most of Canada and back towing a small trailer behind our EV. Works fine. Great combo for us.

There are thousands of happy RVers towing their trailers with EV’s. Everybody travels differently and with different sized trailers.

Jmho.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:39 AM   #8

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Oregon
Quote:

We have a '21 Ford F150 hybrid ("Powerboost"). It has done a 'best' mpg (not laden or towing) of 26.6 mpg, and a towing (Escape 19) average of 16.5 mpg. It has a 30 gallon tank, so towing range would be 495 miles. I never take it below 1/4 tank, so this is not proven, just calculated.

Doug VP
Oregon USA
Doug VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug VP View Post
We have a '21 Ford F150 hybrid ("Powerboost"). It has done a 'best' mpg (not laden or towing) of 26.6 mpg, and a towing (Escape 19) average of 16.5 mpg. It has a 30 gallon tank, so towing range would be 495 miles. I never take it below 1/4 tank, so this is not proven, just calculated.

Doug VP
Oregon USA
Hi Doug. My guess that ford lightning truck would tow your Hymer closer to 200 miles. Frontal area, height, width and weight play into it a lot.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:50 PM   #10

Virginia
This New Electric Car Has No Battery and Shakes Up the Entire Car Industry.
This may be the answer.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:13 PM   #11

British Columbia
Depends. What’s the question. .
Old 08-24-2022, 09:18 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
Scotty's usual click bait

Quote:
This New Electric Car Has No Battery and Shakes Up the Entire Car Industry. This may be the answer.
It still uses a battery. It's just an extra subscription fee.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:12 AM   #13

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
It still uses a battery. It's just an extra subscription fee.
12 dollars a month & takes less than 5 minutes to have a fully charged battery.
You drive into a bay & a robot removes the battery & replaces it with a fully charged battery in less than 5 minutes.
The company is in Asia countries & in Europe.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
12 dollars a month & takes less than 5 minutes to have a fully charged battery.
You drive into a bay & a robot removes the battery & replaces it with a fully charged battery in less than 5 minutes.
The company is in Asia countries & in Europe.
90 percent charged but yes.
Old 08-26-2022, 01:54 PM   #15

Massachusetts
Hadn't Tesla considered this? Until they didn't. There were a LOT of advisements from owners to keep the new battery in the new Tesla and only swap out when the battery was degraded to the point that a swap for an unknown battery was likely to be a better one suffering less degradation.

Why should I swap my new, but just emptied, 20 lb propane tank for some unknown expiration date tank the Blue Rhino rep chose for me?

Your brand new cell phone's battery is run down for the first time? I'll swap for mine. See 'ya!
Old 08-26-2022, 03:32 PM   #16

Virginia
Quote:
Hadn't Tesla considered this? Until they didn't. There were a LOT of advisements from owners to keep the new battery in the new Tesla and only swap out when the battery was degraded to the point that a swap for an unknown battery was likely to be a better one suffering less degradation.

Why should I swap my new, but just emptied, 20 lb propane tank for some unknown expiration date tank the Blue Rhino rep chose for me?

Your brand new cell phone's battery is run down for the first time? I'll swap for mine. See 'ya!
It's a business that is working. The price of the car is cheaper. You can go from near empty to 90% in less than five minutes instead of waiting 90 minutes for a charge. You can do five battery swaps for $12 a month.
If you have a problem with the battery in your current car, you are stuck with an expensive repair.
Like any business, you can chose to do business with them or not.
They are looking to build a factory in the US.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:39 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
It's a business that is working. The price of the car is cheaper. You can go from near empty to 90% in less than five minutes instead of waiting 90 minutes for a charge. You can do five battery swaps for $12 a month.
If you have a problem with the battery in your current car, you are stuck with an expensive repair.
Like any business, you can chose to do business with them or not.
They are looking to build a factory in the US.
All good info except the 90 minutes to charge to 90 percent. That’s more like 30 minutes. Typical road trip supercharge for us is 15 to 20 minutes. But our stops are more determined by how long it takes us to pee and refill the coffee cup than the charge itself.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:41 PM   #18

Massachusetts
Nio is allowing lease holders with subscriptions to buy their battery, but which battery is that? The one they have installed at the time? The original identified by the serial? And who has that one now?
Price? equivalent of $11k for a 75kW, or $19.95k for a 100kW. No credit for prior rental period.
https://electrek.co/2022/04/26/nio-i...-ev-batteries/

Nio vehicle prices, interestingly in US dollars, $50k to $77.7k. Now add the $11k to $20K for a battery to go with that.
https://evcompare.io/cars/nio/

If there is reluctance, as there appears to be by a vocal set here on this forum, to renting a tow vehicle for those several times a year, what make any of us think a battery rental program will be accepted?
Nope. I'm happy with my current (pun?) Volt. 8 years on, 80k miles (80% on battery, 20% on generator), and still getting 44+ electric miles from a charge vs. the when-new EPA estimated 38 miles.

What me worry?
Old 08-26-2022, 06:03 PM   #19

Virginia
Quote:
Nio is allowing lease holders with subscriptions to buy their battery, but which battery is that? The one they have installed at the time? The original identified by the serial? And who has that one now?
Price? equivalent of $11k for a 75kW, or $19.95k for a 100kW. No credit for prior rental period.
https://electrek.co/2022/04/26/nio-i...-ev-batteries/

Nio vehicle prices, interestingly in US dollars, $50k to $77.7k. Now add the $11k to $20K for a battery to go with that.
https://evcompare.io/cars/nio/

If there is reluctance, as there appears to be by a vocal set here on this forum, to renting a tow vehicle for those several times a year, what make any of us think a battery rental program will be accepted?
Nope. I'm happy with my current (pun?) Volt. 8 years on, 80k miles (80% on battery, 20% on generator), and still getting 44+ electric miles from a charge vs. the when-new EPA estimated 38 miles.

What me worry?
I wish they still built the VOLT. They were an awesome vehicle. I had a Prius.
The market will decide the winners. I like seeing this new technology.

Thank you for the discussion.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:47 PM   #20

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Get one of these in your pickup and then the question will be how far can YOU drive:

https://atitank.com/products/dot-ref...fueling-tanks/
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light