How far is too far.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
...to attend a fiberglass RV rally?

What's the farthest you've traveled?

We've yet to attend one...but hope to this year in Washington.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
What's the farthest you've traveled?
[b]6,800 miles... and I was in SECOND place!

The Oregon Gathering gives out prizes in different categories for the farthest distance traveled.
I competed in the "Indirect Route" category in 2005. And lost.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiber_Stream_Map.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	19060

The sticker map on the front of my trailer was filled in as shown all in one trip in the following order:
  • California (Starting in San Diego)
  • Arizona
  • New Mexico
  • Texas
  • Oklahoma (stopping overnight to meet a FGRV member)
  • Missouri
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • New York
We spent [b]a weekend at my family's reunion on the north shore of Oneida Lake in central New York.
Then we headed west:
  • from New York to
  • Pennsylvania
  • Ohio
  • Indiana
  • Illinois
  • Iowa (stopping for [b]an afternoon to meet a FGRV member)
  • Nebraska
  • Wyoming
  • Utah
  • Idaho
  • Oregon
The interstate takes you from Boise, Idaho up to Portland, Oregon. Then from Portland, we drove south down I-5 to Medford (to see a member of Robert's family who was in the hospital at the time) and then Back up I-5 and across to the coast to Bandon to attend the Gathering.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Depends I suppose if it's part of a vacation or a weekend get away. The Oregon Gathering and Bluebonnet, being among the largest events get people from all over the U.S. and Canada. Bill MacDermod and his lovely wife along with Merle Lilly have attended the Oregon Gathering and they all live in Sarasota Florida... which is something like 3,200 miles one way! Yeow. Jamie Hubbs has been several times and he came from Yellow Knife Northwest Territories which is a bit further than that ... another Yeow! My plan, when I retire is to keep a calendar and hit as many events as I possibly can. I'd really like to meet more of the people who are members here on FiberglassRV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Does seem different if it's part of a longer vacation, rather than just driving X number of miles to the gathering, then turning around and driving X number of miles back home.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Quote:
My plan, when I retire is to keep a calendar and hit as many events as I possibly can. I'd really like to meet more of the people who are members here on FiberglassRV.
I hear you Donna..12 months away for me God willing. Right now work consumes me, 24/7 and [edit] the June weekend in Wa. away from the chain gang is no small feat, or er, foot as in Big Foot.
For 2009 my wife and I have a pact - no RV opportunity goes wasted! Even if it's "just" an overnight er..

- Frederick, who took 1st?
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
- Frederick, who took 1st?
I don't remember their names...
It was a couple from Toronto, Canada I believe.
They started the trip at their home and drove directly to Rice, Texas to pick up their brand new Casita. Then they went on a [b]meandering tour of the United States, keeping track of their miles, until they wound up at the 2005 Oregon Gathering.
Their mileage count was almost [b]double what mine was!

I think they also took the prize for the [b]newest trailer in attendance that year.

(I don't think they ever went home...)
Old 04-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
We had a couple from Canada attend our Hill-a-Pollaza Rally in Johnson City Texas
They were in a 70's Trillium
Tony Armstrong & Cindy Sinclair, - Ontario,Canada
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Bolerama at Emily in Ontario, Canada regularly attracts people from southern US states and the east coast of Canada.

Speaking for ourselves, it would have to be PEI from Toronto. (as part of a longer trip to Cape Breton)
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Towed the little trailer from S Ontario to Sask to attend their 2nd Bolerama. Then on to Edmonton Alberta. Hope to do it again sometime.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
2062 miles directly from California to Hollister, Missouri. In 2003 there was conversation about having a National ScampCamp. So I stepped up to the plate and organized one. I wanted it somewhat central in the US that meant to me either Colorado or the Ozarks. Having been to Colorado many times and never to the Ozarks, the Ozarks won. So I hosted the gathering at Turkey Creek CG, Hollister, MO. just south of Branson. I was not the furthest travelled. Al and Libby also from California live over near the coast and travelled some 200 or so miles further than I.

3210 miles California to Grand Marais, MN. This last summer while planning my trip to the Great Lakes Nancy suggested having a Fiberglass Gathering in Minnesota as I came through. I picked the place on my route and Co-hosted it at Grand Marais. For some reason I always thought that GM would be a great place to go to and it was. I do have to say that the trip to GM could have been slightly shorter but I wanted to see the headwaters of the Mississippi near Bemidji and then it just seemed natural to go north to Int'l Falls and down through Ely. Now prior to Grand Marais at my 1569 mile mark I stopped off in Nebraska for Doris' Minden, NE Gathering. So I actually hit 2 gatherings on that 3210 mile trip to GM.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Last month I drove from STL to West Palm Beach,Fl. and then to the Sebring Rally and then did the reverse.
2600 miles but now it seems like a Sunday drive compared to Freds trip!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Our limitation is time not willingness to drive. We can only do close gatherings due to hubby still being in the work a day world. We are very lucky to have at least two great gatherings close by, Casitas Lake a and San Antonio Lake. We really wanted to go to NOG but have to save vacation time to pick up a trailer when we find it.