How "Green" is a FiberglassRV??? Really!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... In this day of "Environmentally sensitive" living, just how green do you think the building, owning, and using of your fiberglass trailer is?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:46 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
When I pulled the ensolite back on my +30 year old Scamp, I see they used a green resin in their glass. That’s green enough for me. How many 30 year old stickys are still around and not filling up landfills? The fiberglass and curved aluminum trailers are probably the most recycled vehicles on the road. Maybe we need to put recycle decals on the rear windows of our recycled (used) trailers to be politically correct.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
First thing that comes to mind is that they very rarely make it to a landfill as they last much longer and many re-furbishes ...... so the landfills have less of a burden. How many stickies built in the 70's and 80's are still here today campared to fiberglass?.....Less gas consumption on the much lighter glass trailers being towed compared to the behomeths.
Joe

Eddie: We must have been typing at the same time and it's interesting that we both have just about the same answer. LOL
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
This green ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	24228
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I agree; I think the greenest aspect is staying out of landfills.

Second (or maybe more important) is better gas mileage while towing, but that may only apply to the smaller trailers.

Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Dear LORD! if THAT rig ever gets hit, i GUARANTEE it ain't no accident. You just cannot say (with a straight face) "Office, I just didn't SEE it!"

[quote]This green ...

Attachment 24228
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hi: All... In this day of "Environmentally sensitive" living, just how green do you think the building, owning, and using of your fiberglass trailer is?
Fair question, Alf, and one that we should ask ourselves about lots of things. It's not just the disposal issue that needs to be considered, but also the energy and other resources required to build our trailers. Obviously our footprints would be lighter if we all stayed home, but that's not how I want to spend my retirement. And pulling my Scamp 13 (with my 4-cyl. car) a couple hundred miles instead of hopping on an airplane seems like a good choice to me.

Jeff
Jeff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
also...once theyre there they aren't draining much from a power grid ..opposed to if you stayed home and had everything going there like we all do.and some dont touch the grid...charge on the fly so it comes into the fuel bill again.lowering that actual use....they heat easily,another lower usage..same for cooling them...the actual list is probably quite long. I'd believe theyre alot greener than most think.........Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	resized_pictures.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	24230

Green was the colour when we got it.

The energy it uses is from a battery re charged by the sun. How many of those huge bulge mobiles can do that on a regular day-to-day routine?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Just think septic tank on wheels.
How green is a septic tank?

I guess when it was made the fumes could gag a maggot, but since then - I dunno - I guess it's inert now. Mine sure won't see a landfill for many years I'm sure.

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
There is certainly nothing "green" about the ingredients and manufacturing process of fiberglass. Talk about toxic! And it's not very biodegradable, either. An egg in a landfill would be there for a loooong time.

I'd say it's like cars in that respect - more "green" to keep an older, already produced one going vs. manufacturing a new one (even moreso for trailers, since there is not the aspect of older ones being "gas guzzlers," like there is with cars). We can't improve the "green-ness" of how they were made, but we can at least keep the older ones going, so we don't have to make as many newer ones.

Really though, there's no way to really make something you tow along while getting 16mpg or so, "green"; there are only degrees of "not so green" and "really really not so green." I strive for the former as much as possible.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I know when we are done with our Compact Jr. (no time soon,though) someone else will love it as much as we do. It will be recycled for many years.
No matter where we go-it is a conversation piece-people want to know about it and see inside. We gladly give the grand tour.
They are surprised to see we have a refrig, stove, heater, a/c and a big bed and they also ask about the bathroom-we open the bottom cabinet door and pull out the porta potty. What else could you want-we love it.
The simple life!
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
I suggest that everyone might want to view the powerful video called "Ocean Acidification" -- we all know about global warming, but ocean acidification is less well known. Both are due to human activity -- burning of fossil fuels.

http://www.nrdc.org/oceans/acidifica...outthefilm.asp

While a fiberglass trailer is better than other more energy consuming alternatives, we all need to be trying to reduce our carbon footprint as much as we can.

Brian