How long can one "rest" at a rest stop? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #41

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Keep their fridges running?
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
My guess is so that they can keep either the heat or AC on and use all the power they want to keep the parking lights, electric fridge, DVD, and interior lights all going all night. It also keeps the air up and the truck ready to go.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 PM   #43

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
Very true. Why exactly do they do that?
Several reasons but things are changing as more states adopt no-idle trucking regulations. There are list around that show maps of where you can find some peace and quiet at truck stops and rest stops too.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
in no idle land, the truckers use APUs, which are small diesel generators to power their reefers and stuff. they aren't as loud as their main engine liding, but they aren't exactly whisper quiet, either
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 AM   #45

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
The reason trucks idle at rest stops is to run their AC or their heaters. For all intents and purposes trucks are their homes and they should be able to control the climate in them like people do in their homes.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 AM   #46

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
The reason trucks idle at rest stops is to run their AC or their heaters. For all intents and purposes trucks are their homes and they should be able to control the climate in them like people do in their homes.
Companies that supply products for the big rigs are now developing AC units that can be run off a battery bank for the duration of their rest stop. The no idle law is driving the improved technology as are the LiPo battery banks. As to heat, diesel fueled cabin heaters have been around for a long time so that problem has already been solved for many years.
https://www.voltaair.com/truck-no-idle-ac-iq/
Old 07-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #47

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Quote:
We "rested" last night for about six hours at a highway rest stop in Missouri. We read the rules very carefully. There was no limitation, except "camping" is not permitted.

The previous night we read the rules at a rest stop in Illinois. In that state, "rests" may not exceed 3 hours. But on the contrary, there was a separate sign in the semi-truck area that advised truckers that they must rest 10 hours after driving 11 or more hours.

I think in Missouri camping is when you build a campfire. Don't quote me on that though.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #48

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...The previous night we read the rules at a rest stop in Illinois. In that state, "rests" may not exceed 3 hours. But on the contrary, there was a separate sign in the semi-truck area that advised truckers that they must rest 10 hours after driving 11 or more hours.
Sounds like they are expecting long-haul truckers to use other facilities for their mandated rest periods, such as commercial truck stops. Makes sense to me, given the number of trucks on the road. I've seen rest areas with semis backed up on the entrance ramp and overflowing down the shoulders of the merging ramp. Always when I'm in a hurry to use the restroom!

It's a good safety rule, but there isn't enough available truck parking along some congested routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
I think in Missouri camping is when you build a campfire...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #49

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
As of December 2017 truckers were mandated to install electronic logs. The way that works is the company pays to have these devices installed in the truck. Then they pay a monthly fee (sort of like a cell phone bill). A driver is limited to being on duty 14 hours. That timer starts when he activates the log. That 14 hours cannot be broken up. Of that 14 hours he is limited to actually driving 11 hours. Keep in mind that it often takes four to six hours to get loaded or unloaded. The 11 hours driving can be broken up.

When the timer times out either through driving or duty time in some cases the log shuts the truck's engine down to idle so that it can only be driven to the edge of the road. The driver has to anticipate that and plan where to park before it shuts down. He may not go back on duty for 10 hours. In addition to time the devices also monitor location and calculate speed.

Trucks built after about 1994 have electronically controlled engines that have a maximum speed set. It requires a code to adjust it. Drivers, unless they own the truck, do not have access to the code to change the speed. Companies set those limits below the speed limit. That is why you see so many 62 and 63 mph trucks in 75 mph interstates. I almost never see a truck running over 72 mph now.

Many times (every night) there are not enough parking spaces for all of the trucks that must be parked. Not in commercial truck stops or anywhere else. If a driver gets sleepy while driving he usually does not have the option of pulling over and taking a nap or he is not going to get to his scheduled parking spot for his mandatory 10 hour break.

The electronic log company monitors the logs and forwards the information to the trucking companies. The DOT (law enforcement) also has access to the logs any time. Citations and fines are issued to both companies and drivers based on this information.

Now that the technology exists it can (and will) easily be built into private cars. That way speeding and other traffic violations can be addressed by authorities immediately. 40,000 to 50,000 people die in traffic accidents each year mostly in private vehicles, not big trucks. It won't happen next year but it IS coming.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #50

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
That is why you see so many 62 and 63 mph trucks in 75 mph interstates. I almost never see a truck running over 72 mph now.
You need to drive I-95 around the Fayetteville,NC area. I do 75 (5 above the speed limit) and am constantly being passed by 18 wheelers when I go to visit a friend in South Carolina. It is one of the few sections of interstate that I travel during the trip. I take back roads most of the way. Another section is on I-80 near Stroudsburg, PA. There I go 60 to 65 and still get passed by trucks.
Alex Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #51

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I think in Missouri camping is when you build a campfire. Don't quote me on that though.

If you do things like setting up an outdoor kitchen, put up a sun shelter or tent, set up lawn chairs, build a campfire, even a propane campfire you can be considered camping. Slide outs extended is another one that could be considered camping, although I've never seen it enforced.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
You need to drive I-95 around the Fayetteville,NC area. I do 75 (5 above the speed limit) and am constantly being passed by 18 wheelers when I go to visit a friend in South Carolina. It is one of the few sections of interstate that I travel during the trip. I take back roads most of the way. Another section is on I-80 near Stroudsburg, PA. There I go 60 to 65 and still get passed by trucks.
yeah, ditto I10 westbound out of DFW, and I40 from NM through AZ, lotsa trucks going 75+
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #53

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, ditto I10 westbound out of DFW, and I40 from NM through AZ, lotsa trucks going 75+
Like Bruce said, the maximum speed can be programmed to whatever the owner of the truck wants it to be, whether it's a company or owner operator. Another setting in a trucks computer is idle time, it can be set to shut down the engine at a preset number of minutes. Lots of info can be extracted from the truck's computer, one of those items being number of panic stops made. Amazing technology out there, but it can be abused.
Edit: I was one of those people that had the passwords to change the settings. Drivers were nice to me. (but I still wouldn't change anything)
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #54

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
We "rested" last night for about six hours at a highway rest stop in Missouri. We read the rules very carefully. There was no limitation, except "camping" is not permitted.

The previous night we read the rules at a rest stop in Illinois. In that state, "rests" may not exceed 3 hours. But on the contrary, there was a separate sign in the semi-truck area that advised truckers that they must rest 10 hours after driving 11 or more hours.
I have overnighted at IllAnnoy rest stops regularly for more than 40 years without a single issue.
The only problem is to stop early enough to find a spot since they are consistently completely full all night, every night.

The Scamp allows for expanded convenient choices, my favorite being particular Walmarts.
Security cameras, fresh deli food, red box movies and often parking next to grassy islands with shade trees. There is also the entertainment of shopplng if there is extra time to kill. Heck there are usually fast food restaurants within a hundred yards and a discount gas station on the premises.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:53 PM   #55

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have overnighted at IllAnnoy rest stops regularly for more than 40 years without a single issue.
The only problem is to stop early enough to find a spot since they are consistently completely full all night, every night.

The Scamp allows for expanded convenient choices, my favorite being particular Walmarts.
Security cameras, fresh deli food, red box movies and often parking next to grassy islands with shade trees. There is also the entertainment of shopplng if there is extra time to kill. Heck there are usually fast food restaurants within a hundred yards and a discount gas station on the premises.
My wallmart camping experiences include being woken up at night when they bring out the street sweeper to clean the lot. At least they are open all night so you can buy some ear plugs and hopefully get back to sleep in an hour or two. If you are a light sleeper just remember that Walmarts do not have "quiet hours". There may be noise all night long. You will also want blackout curtains.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #56

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
My wallmart camping experiences include being woken up at night when they bring out the street sweeper to clean the lot. At least they are open all night so you can buy some ear plugs and hopefully get back to sleep in an hour or two. If you are a light sleeper just remember that Walmarts do not have "quiet hours". There may be noise all night long. You will also want blackout curtains.
I once owned a TrailWest camper myself, so I know what you mean.
Never had those problems with the Scamp.... Truckstops, rest areas, Crackerbarrels etc. are generally close to the interstate, I choose the Walmarts which are too.
Love the sound of 18 wheels on pavement, I sleep like the proverbial baby.(not the ones who wake up crying every couple of hours.)

Where do you overnight while in transit?
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:54 AM   #57

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I've never had any of the problems of noise, lights ect mentioned here. The only time I had a problem was when a cattle or hog hauler decided to park next to me at 4 am .....we left 10 minutes later.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #58

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA/ 2016 Ram V6 Eco Diesel
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
First of all, I'm not suggesting nor condoning breaking any laws. That said, has anyone ever been asked by authorities to leave an interstate or highway rest area for "resting" there too long? Signs might say something like "No overnight stays", but if it's a "rest" area, who is to say how much rest is enough rest and determine it's time for you to move on? Just curious if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with this, and it might be helpful to know in which state, just for reference....
Hi: War Eagle... How long is a "New York minute"?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:26 AM   #59

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Sounds like they are expecting long-haul truckers to use other facilities for their mandated rest periods, such as commercial truck stops. Makes sense to me, given the number of trucks on the road. I've seen rest areas with semis backed up on the entrance ramp and overflowing down the shoulders of the merging ramp. Always when I'm in a hurry to use the restroom!

It's a good safety rule, but there isn't enough available truck parking along some congested routes.

I see this so much in the East that it is really the norm rather than the exception. Finding a spot to park in a rest stop late in the evening is getting very difficult, and stopping early kind of negates the advantage of a rest stop.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #60

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
On the interstates that we frequent, there are now electronic signs posting the current number of truck spaces available at one or more rest stops ahead. Also some of the rest stops are designated "trucks only".