How long can one "rest" at a rest stop? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=CPW;493709]I take it you don't camp too much in Canada. Or Mexico.

You are correct sir!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #22
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Moderator moment:

Folks - a number of posts have been removed from this thread because they ran afoul of our community rules regarding discussions about weaponry. FGRV isn't a gun rights debate venue. Let's focus on the things we have in common - Fiberglass trailers and leave the other stuff at the door please. This thread is about how long you can stay at a rest area and all pertinent discussion is welcome.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Stay limits in rest areas.

Everything you wanted to know about rest areas but were afraid to google.

The above link and links within that article should tell you all there is to know about staying in rest areas.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:18 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
How long can one "rest" at a rest stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Everything you wanted to know about rest areas but were afraid to google.

The above link and links within that article should tell you all there is to know about staying in rest areas.

Link doesn't work, Byron. Get "no such URL" message, at least on the iPhone. Do you have another link?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There were too many "lls," in the html. Try this: Rest Stops

Remember too, this is coming from a private party, not from any official site. Use the information at your own risk. Remember everything on the WWW is true

As the site owner says "All tips and advice on this web site are purely the personal opinion of the author who assumes no responsibility or liability for any consequences resulting from following said advice."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #26

Florida
Right you are, Donna. Thanks. I was curious because I didn't think I had ever seen that particular website.

You mean everything you read on the web isn't true? I'm shocked! :LOL

Old 11-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
...You mean everything you read on the web isn't true? I'm shocked! :LOL
Is this true?

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #28

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Is this true?

Before I answer, you will need to define "true!"

Old 11-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #29

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
'Thought you all would find this report of a famous rest stop south of San Francisco interesting. Famous rest stop reopens
Former caretaker Jerry Morissette not only deterred an "undesirable element" he maintained a beautiful garden with flowers and vegetables. When I lived on the SF peninsula I used to love to stop here. I'm kinda sorry that he was required to leave.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #30

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
That is the problem with internet quotations as a source, they are often inaccurate - Abraham Lincoln
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #31

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1974 Hunter Compact II
Oregon
In Oregon it is 12 hours. In fact, drivers are encouraged to rest, if needed. Often times there are trails nearby to explore.
LarryTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #32

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Here in the SE many states are between two and four hours max. I’ve never gotten quality sleep at a rest area anyway. All the big rigs keep there engines running so it’s too noisy for me. TN, limit is two hours.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:37 PM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Here in the SE many states are two hours max. I’ve never gotten quality sleep at a rest area anyway. All the big rigs keep there engines running so it’s too noisy for me.
FWIW, our escape has the extra insulation, double pane windows, and undercarriage foam. its blissfully silent inside, even in a noisy environment.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:30 PM   #34

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
In places like Montana, I figure you're ok so long as you aren't conspicuous. I just slept at a rest stop last week with a "no camping" sign. The truckers were obviously sleeping there. I took "no camping" to mean "don't be obvious". Whether sleeping overnight is technically allowed or not, I would guess that around here, the state troopers have no interest in knocking on your door and kicking you out. So don't make them.

If you pull in at 8pm and set our your lawn chairs and make yourself at home...you might have issues. If you pull in at 10pm and just climb in the trailer and go to bed, you'll probably be fine. The rumbling diesels aren't preferable, but they did create a steady white noise to cover the sound of the occasional traffic passing by.

On a side note, I feel it's going to get harder and harder to "get away" with stuff. There are so many campers on the road these days. The combination of the push by the industry and the economy leaving many people with little choice other than living in their campers, they're everywhere, which will cause people to complain, laws to be passed and enforced. More and more no camping signs will go up.

Starting in March I could pull into our grocery store and see 6 camper trailers in the little parking lot, taking up half the spaces. Not camping, just stopping through and getting groceries. But there are so many. It's going to hit critical mass, and something's going to have to change.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #35

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
. . . but if it's a "rest" area, who is to say how much rest is enough rest and determine it's time for you to move on? Just curious if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with this, and it might be helpful to know in which state, just for reference....
We "rested" last night for about six hours at a highway rest stop in Missouri. We read the rules very carefully. There was no limitation, except "camping" is not permitted.

The previous night we read the rules at a rest stop in Illinois. In that state, "rests" may not exceed 3 hours. But on the contrary, there was a separate sign in the semi-truck area that advised truckers that they must rest 10 hours after driving 11 or more hours.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
This so much depends on the State. Some publish a few hours but no enforcement, some seem to be mostly unlimited. I think there's some that enforce their stay rules, but not many.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #37

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I can't imagine truckers stopping for just two hours, given all the rules on rest they have to comply with.

TN official rules:

"No overnight parking is allowed. There is a two-hour parking limit."

Too bad, as when we are coming home from a trip, a rest stop (longer than TN) would be quite a nice benefit. Our last 75 miles to home is the windy, dark, and narrow I-40 through the mountains. Not a good place to be late in the evening if you are tired or if it is raining.

I've started to identify some Cracker Barrels on our typical route. They tend to have good RV parking and encourage overnight stays. And a good dinner and breakfast are nice too.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:12 PM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
On our recent trip from Nevada to Alabama and back through texas, we stopped a lot at rest stops. Each state is slightly diffrent in appearance and function, but I've seen it clearly stated that nobody could stay longer than 24 hours and you cannot set up a camp.

Arkansas had the absolute best stop we saw and we stayed for about 18 hours. Big forested are with semi-private parking, a large interactive map system and huge bathroom complex. Amazing.

Texas has "picnic areas", "parking areas" and "rest areas" with posted signs about a fine of $1. to $200. for erecting a tent. Each type of area was different in it's layout. We stayed at one picnic area and had the whole place to ourselves with a fantastic view. We never hurried to leave. Near San Antonio, we found one off the highway that was very quiet and overlooked the road from a half mile away. Again, a leisurely stay.

New Mexico had a huge Picnic area that went on for a mile or so. Very nice with barbeques and sun covers. We definitely took our time there too.

The best way to use these is with a trailer because you don't have to sleep in the car and you don't have to set anything up

It's not hard to find quiet areas either. Just avoid the big parking lot style ones full of trucks, and look for the forested ones, or large picnic area style. Sometimes we'd pull into a stop and find it full of running trucks and close parking. In those cases we just went on in search of another one.

We found ourselves really enjoying them and never hurried to leave or keep a low profile. You will not be hasssled, in our experience, if you stay less than 24 hours, and I never saw anybody keeping track.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
We stayed overnight at a rest stop on I-40 just east of Amarillo on our way to Colorado. It had RV parking and 24 hour security. Also, on our way to Florida last fall we stayed overnight at the Atchefalaya Rest Stop on I-10 in LA. Also 24 hour security. I parked and walked over to the security guard and said we’d be overnighters and he said have a restful evening, he’d be there all night. We found both of these on the Ultimate Public Campground App. Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #40

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
All the big rigs keep there engines running . . .
Very true. Why exactly do they do that?
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote