How long is it...? @#$% Smile - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
How long is it...? @#$% Smile

I thought I'd share a recent experience that I was able to laugh at myself about.
I bought my 13' Trillium this summer and have been on the road constantly. (I'm leaving for Florida Thursday..) I have a retirement business carving walking sticks and buy much of my wood in large planks. I recently combined a camping/road trip with the purchase of walnut planks. The planks are 10' long and my plan was to put them on the floor under the dinette/bed. I thought I may have to prop them on top of the front bench but that wouldn't pose a problem. To load them, I would open a rear window, remove the screen and they could slide in easily.
Of course, that assumes (major error...) the Trillium 13 is 13' long INSIDE... I always measure my wood twice before I cut it... but I never measured the Trillium. I just assumed the 13' was an inside measurement. I bought the wood ( it was raining so the wood had to be transported under cover ), backed the trailer into the loading dock, and with the help of a vendor, proceeded to insert the first of the planks. ??? Goodness... there seems to be a problem?@#$. I finally was able to make them fit by turning them on their edges and aligning them from one passenger side rear corner to the driver side front corner. If they had been 2" longer they wouldn't have fit.
What an uncomfortable trip... (laughing...) Live and learn and don't assume anything.
Cheers,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I had that same experience trying to fit some boards into my van, that I (oops) miscalculated on. I needed to use the same way of transport, only a couple boards were nearly sitting on my shoulder, good thing my trip was only 5 miles home from the lumberyard....and it wasn't raining. Thanks for the LAUGH!!
I'd love to see some pics of your walking sticks
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I had that same experience trying to fit some boards into my van, that I (oops) miscalculated on. I needed to use the same way of transport, only a couple boards were nearly sitting on my shoulder, good thing my trip was only 5 miles home from the lumberyard....and it wasn't raining. Thanks for the LAUGH!!
I'd love to see some pics of your walking sticks
Hi Pam,
I'm happy you shared in my humor/experience.
You can see my walking sticks on my web site;
:: Welcome to Down East Walking Sticks ::
Cheers,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Barrie,

Pretty walking sticks. Your side bar links did not work for me.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My husband worked at a lumber yard in Grad school. He couldn't believe what people expected them to get into a vehicle.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I remember waiting in line at my local Home Depot, behind a pickup truck and watching in disbelief as a hi-lo brought out a huge pallet of shingles and then proceeded to lower it down onto the truck bed. Now as they did that, truck bed dropped lower and lower, and things started creaking and groaning, and just about the time I thought the tires would explode, the truck's owner yelled, "nononono !!pickitup pickitup !! " They decided at that point that a home delivery would be more prudent.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
I watched a man load 14 sheets of 4X8 drywall onto roof racks on his car - then was puzzled as he couldn't open the doors!
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I remember waiting in line at my local Home Depot, behind a pickup truck and watching in disbelief as a hi-lo brought out a huge pallet of shingles and then proceeded to lower it down onto the truck bed. Now as they did that, truck bed dropped lower and lower, and things started creaking and groaning, and just about the time I thought the tires would explode, the truck's owner yelled, "nononono !!pickitup pickitup !! " They decided at that point that a home delivery would be more prudent.
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote