How many times have you been asked if your rig is for sale? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 04:39 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Trail mite
California
How many times have you been asked if your rig is for sale?

Curious how often everyone else gets asked by people driving by if their rig is for sale? I used to say no then they ask about my truck sometimes. I’ve now decided to change up my answer and tell them yes 20,000 got to do it today for the first time. They asked if that was the real number. I told them yup that’s what I would let it go for.. I think they were actually considering it. I got a chuckle. If they dropped 20,000 into my hands they probably would tow it away.
Digger Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:16 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Sadly, a majority of those "offers" are just a front for people who are casing your joint, and may be looking to steal it. It's called a "soft probe," where someone innocently comes up, asks a few benign questions while eyeballing everything, looking the place over, and then comes back when you aren't home. These little trailers make wonderful remote bivouacs for hunters out in the sticks and also for mobile meth labs for the "low lifers" who make it. Keep a good eye on your stuff, and have your trusted neighbors watch out as well, especially when you're not home. Not to be overly paranoid about it, but this kind of crap happens all too often nowadays. Never hurts to be a little cautious about these people. Not everyone who asks about it wants to steal your trailer, but then it only takes one to ruin your day.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:47 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I think a lot of people that ask are unaware of camper pricing. So they think it is $500, maybe $1000 max. So the question is naive, but honest.

I usually do not talk about money even with people I know, and with people I don't know, even more so. My answer to this question is typically "more than you might think." or "the price would surprise you". The people asking are not potential buyers, they are more like dreamers.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:03 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’ve never been asked at home- we live off the beaten path and keep the Scamp tucked away in a garage- but I have gotten a few inquiries on the road, none I’d consider serious. Usually seems like they’re either new to the market and surprised at how much they go for, or they’re flippers looking for someone who doesn’t know the value of what they’ve got.

I’ll take time to educate the former, giving them the tour and directing them to the various online sites. Like Bill, I’m deliberately vague about prices. But an offer to buy with barely a cursory glance at the outside is my cue to bow out with a polite, “I’m afraid it’s not for sale.”

It happened more often in the early years of ownership. People now seem to know about them.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My trailers are mostly parked in my back yard, which has no gate, (I have to take down a section of fence to get them out). But my travel van:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ver-60777.html
is parked, across the street, on my neighbor’s property.
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Street.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	140805
He has been getting several inquiries about if it is for sale. To the point that he has asked me to put a, “Not for sale” sign in the window. I can’t say that I am worried about it getting stolen.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #6

Name: Nigel
Trailer: Scamp 13
Minnesota
We had TV problems driving from Minnesota to Florida and pulled off the freeway in a small Georgia town to get fixed. The Scamp was sitting in the garage forecourt while they worked on the Ford, I guess it looked like it might be for sale. In the space of one hour, three cars stopped to ask the price and two people called the garage.
nigeleccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Sadly, a majority of those "offers" are just a front for people who are casing your joint, and may be looking to steal it.
Even if it happens in a fuel filling station? That is where it generally happens.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
I'm glad I don't live in an area where "soft probe" is part of the lexicon.

Like with Jon, most inquiries happen at gas stations, sometimes camping areas. Often, it's friendly envy from owners of big rigs.

My Scamp is so personalized that I'm sure it isn't a good fit for anyone but me and my dog.

Not for sale.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #9

Name: Don
Trailer: Trail mite
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Sadly, a majority of those "offers" are just a front for people who are casing your joint, and may be looking to steal it. It's called a "soft probe," where someone innocently comes up, asks a few benign questions while eyeballing everything, looking the place over, and then comes back when you aren't home. These little trailers make wonderful remote bivouacs for hunters out in the sticks and also for mobile meth labs for the "low lifers" who make it. Keep a good eye on your stuff, and have your trusted neighbors watch out as well, especially when you're not home. Not to be overly paranoid about it, but this kind of crap happens all too often nowadays. Never hurts to be a little cautious about these people. Not everyone who asks about it wants to steal your trailer, but then it only takes one to ruin your day.
Indeed possible, have some neighbors who watch. Never have a time where no one is home, what they won’t see from their driving by view is the tow chain secured to the axle and frame and locked up to a tree. Yea where I am at as well had the major city scummy types always trying to get ahead on others hard work.
Digger Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #10

Name: Jim
Colorado
Registry
Dan,

Depending on the year of your Scamp and any mods made to it, you may actually be a little on the low side there with your price!!

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/...319262095.html

If you think that is high for an RV, you should see what is happening to the price of housing in Denver.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #11

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
My trailers are mostly parked in my back yard, which has no gate, (I have to take down a section of fence to get them out). But my travel van:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ver-60777.html
is parked, across the street, on my neighbor’s property.
Attachment 140805
He has been getting several inquiries about if it is for sale. To the point that he has asked me to put a, “Not for sale” sign in the window. I can’t say that I am worried about it getting stolen.
I think I would chain up the NSX. Great fun to drive but takes some track time practice to drive at it's limits.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
I think I would chain up the NSX. Great fun to drive but takes some track time practice to drive at it's limits.
NSX? Bill, that’s a 1997 Ford Probe GT, (I guess I stretched that picture too much). It has a Mazda 626 drive line, and an impressive power to weight ratio. It's my wife’s car, though I have been known to bounce it off the occasional curb, in the middle of a four wheel slide. It’s very fun to drive, but I have no track time.

It's currently in the shop.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #13

Name: Bob
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger Dan View Post
Curious how often everyone else gets asked by people driving by if their rig is for sale? I used to say no then they ask about my truck sometimes. I’ve now decided to change up my answer and tell them yes 20,000 got to do it today for the first time. They asked if that was the real number. I told them yup that’s what I would let it go for.. I think they were actually considering it. I got a chuckle. If they dropped 20,000 into my hands they probably would tow it away.
About 2 or 3 times a year, people stop and ask. Some do not know what it is. Others have offered as much as $6,000. 1982 Scamp 16 project still in process.
Bob Durrstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:44 AM   #14

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I have been asked that a number of times and now I'm getting phone calls inquiring if I would like to sell my house. I ask them where would I live if I sell my house and that is where they hang up.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #15

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
We’ve had people knock on our door to ask, and at gas stations. They don’t even ask if it’s for sale, just ‘How much?”. If they werent so hard to come by used, I’d just quote them an outrageous figure, cash only! It took me 2 years to find mine.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #16

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
There is no such thing as not for sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger Dan View Post
$30,000
Attached Thumbnails
06 14 inch tires 2.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale