How Millennials Are Changing The RV Industry - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
I have zero issues with young people taking up RVing. In fact I encourage it. The more the merrier. We've met some wonderful young people while camping. I don't think they are causing the crowding problems, despite all the articles about how they are "changing" the industry.

Limit the number of foreign tours and much of the congestion at National Parks would go away. It's often worse for our neighbors to the north, where foreign tour companies snatch up whole swaths of camping spots.

We've seen most of the more famous National Parks but we are in no hurry to see them again due to crowding and the long wait to get a spot. So far however, boondocking in a National Forest, or on BLM land is readily available, is far less expensive, and because of the lack of crowds we actually enjoy ourselves more.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
The answer is to limit such activity, but the park operators and government officials are loathe to do so. They see it as revenue.
I wish they wouldn't have reduced the fee increase that went through this year.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #23

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
I wish they wouldn't have reduced the fee increase that went through this year.
I'm an old fart, Maybe even a really OLD fart. I've had my National Park and Federal Recreation Land Senior Pass since the days when it was free, IIRC. It gives me free entrance and half price camping on Federal lands. So what do I care if they price most of the ordinary people out of the Parks? So long as they don't screw with my pass. Well, that's not exactly fair ether, is it?

It's a growing problem which I don't expect to see solved in my lifetime. So it's goodbye Parks. I'm off to the boonies.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:49 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Well I don't have a pass and don't mind paying full price. It's not like I go to national parks every day or even every year. But I'd happily pay more if it meant the park being a little less of a zoo.

If we as a country aren't going to adequately support the parks with broadly-acquired tax revenues then the burden needs to fall to those who utilize the parks. I don't care which one we pick but it seems like the choice lately has been "neither"; the repair backlogs are just shameful.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:15 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I don't think you can blame young people for crowded campsites. It's us baby boomers that are retiring and have the time and the money to recreate. We normally camp before the schools let out and after Labour Day, when the kids are back and the parents are earning money to pay the mortgage. But, I've noticed that the shoulder seasons are under more pressure these days.
We've seen the enemy, and it is us. -Pogo
Old 05-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Half a million new RVs produced a year... Judging by what I see driving around, 95% or more of registered RV's are parked in storage at any given moment.

That will only increase.

In a good year we are out 15 days. So that puts us near the 95% mark.

Glenn has a point that primarily retirees, who are mostly Boomers at this point, have the ability to spend much more time using an RV.

The good news is RV-owning Millenials may help turn the political tide that has eroded funding for public parks and lands.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't think you can blame young people for crowded campsites. It's us baby boomers that are retiring and have the time and the money to recreate. We normally camp before the schools let out and after Labour Day, when the kids are back and the parents are earning money to pay the mortgage. But, I've noticed that the shoulder seasons are under more pressure these days.
We've seen the enemy, and it is us. -Pogo
Somewhere between a third and half the campers I have been seeing recently at major National Parks are foreign travelers, always in a rental RV. Our parks are pretty damn nice, and global travelers have figured it out.

The good news is they seem to have tours that target major National Parks, leaving BLM, state/county/city parks still available.

I have enjoyed visiting Zion for decades, but recently, no so much. Meanwhile, a side area of Zion, just as scenic, and easier to get to, is still ignored. I'd love to see the park service develop this area. "Kolob Canyon".
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The good news is RV-owning Millenials may help turn the political tide that has eroded funding for public parks and lands.
I'm a trout fisherman in a region at the southern end of the cold water they need, with population pressure hitting the resource. In organizations focused on the resource, we often hear "why are we trying to develop or recruit new fishermen, they just get in our way?" It's always seemed to me that the wise answer is that trout streams need friends. So do the Parks. If there's no exposure, there's no support.

There are about twice as many people in the US as the day I was born (about 3X globally, not to mention increases in prosperity), and they can designate more places Nat. Parks, but can't create another Yosemite (well, maybe drain Hetch Hetchy). Essentially, I think it's inevitable, but not necessarily bad. Fortunately, if I want nature that's not necessarily what's on people's "bucket lists," there are less pressured places to do that. But, yeah, I still want to get to visit Zion and will just have to figure it out.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #29
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Please folks, take care to leave politics out of this discussion, and be nice. (Yes, post(s) have been deleted.)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #30

Washington
Should NPS be only for the better off

"Well I don't have a pass and don't mind paying full price."

"But I'd happily pay more if it meant the park being a little less of a zoo."

"If we as a country aren't going to adequately support the parks with broadly-acquired tax revenues then the burden needs to fall to those who utilize the parks. I don't care which one we pick but it seems like the choice lately has been "neither"; the repair backlogs are just shameful."

Sorry, I guess I got to close to unacceptable politics in my last post. It was one (maybe the only one) that got deleted. I'll try again.

The proposed "full price" IIRC was about $70 a day, and I don't remember if that was a car load or per person. My Senior Pass lets in whoever is in the car with me for free and if we are camping the fee is half price. That's a good deal. I've had it for many years, and I'm thankful for it.

If entry and camping fees are raised high enough that will surely keep out some of the riffraff and probably reduce the zoo like quality of the Parks. But the Parks are supposed to be "The People's" Parks, not just the nature playgrounds of the rich and famous, or even just the well off. But why should I care? I get in free anyway (at least as long as they don't mess with my pass). Well, I care about more than just myself and however many I can load into my car.

On the other hand, I do care about the zoo-like quality of the more popular Parks. Is that the result of Millennials invading the RV industry? Well, maybe yes. There are a lot lot them and the economy is allowing them more discretionary spending on recreational pursuits. On the other hand - not really. Population growth has been accelerating and is predicted to do so until there are around 9 billion humans on this little rock. To single out people born in any particular time period is disingenuous. It's a smooth continuum, not a bunch of stepped or blocked off time periods.

The solution? The above quote proposes two; either raise taxes or raise entry/camping fees. Neither will solve the long term problems. More money will allow setting aside more land for recreation and maintaining it better. But if that money comes from raising fees the parks will eventually be only for the well-to-do. Getting governments to raise taxes for Parks is like pulling teeth. But eventually, as population soars, there will be a need to set land use priorities as between land needed for everyday existing or recreation. The problem being that the best land for just living is also the best land for recreation. It's happening right now. I have a relative that used to live near Sedona AZ. In the last 20+ years much land that was "natural" and "scenic" is now residential. Just this week in our little hometown weekly newspaper here in the northwest corner of Washington State a letter writer stated, "If we are serious about saving what is left of the forests, we must stop growth." The same must be said about saving what is left of our recreational lands.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #31

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Visit Yellowstone twice per year, early may & october. That used to be a fairly undiscovered period for park visits. Not any more! Tour buses filled with foreign visitors have discovered shoulder season. My thoughts are that they come once then on subsequent visits rent a car or rv & travel independently. I do appreciate folks exploring our beautiful natural world but seems the most important things are taking selfies or stopping in the middle of the road to watch a bison. My vote is to raise entry fees for touring buses. Ok, rant is over but Yellowstone may become a lovely memory for me in the future.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:38 PM   #32

Washington
Hey, julmar, your profile picture is upside down. Or were you visiting Australia at the time it was taken?

I first visited Yellowstone in the early '50s. I thought there were a lot of people there then. I last visited Yellowstone in the mid '90s. It was utter chaos then as far I was concerned. I can't imagine what it is like now.

Our trip to Zion a few years ago (described above) was a total disappointment. One doesn't go to popular National Parks anymore to "explore our beautiful natural world." As you say, it is to take quick "I was there" selfies and move on to the next scenic background. "If it's Tuesday this must be Yellowstone."

I did my share of backpacking years ago. I am, regretfully, too old for that now, but you will never hear me say roads should be built into the wilderness so everyone can enjoy it. "If the wilderness is made accessible for everyone to enjoy there will be no wilderness for anyone to enjoy."
Old 05-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #33

Registry
Best times I have recently visited Zion were January and early February. May through November has become very crowded. At some point, watch for crowd control (limiting entries) as the trails and facilities are being over used.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
My experience with Millennials, and I am related to a schwack of them, is that for the most part they are as minimalistic as I was at their age. They do travel more, but so do folks of all generations, as it has become way more affordable.

I am stoked to see that all my kids, nieces and nephews, along with their significant others are living the camping style. Most with tents or small trailers, some in the backcountry. We are just about to head out for a good couple weeks now, starting with heading to our rec land for this long weekend. Out there we will have 9 RVs of all types (4 moulded fibreglass, mine being by far the biggest), and a bunch of tents. Always a great time camping with friends and family, having cocktails while playing guitar around a campfire.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #35

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
My crackpot political thoery

Is that when we eventually see single payer / medicare for everybody (and I'm not debating if that's good or bad because this is not a site for politics thank goodness) we will a whole lot more people retired and in campgrounds. There are lots of people working only for the healthcare.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #36

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Best times I have recently visited Zion were January and early February. May through November has become very crowded. At some point, watch for crowd control (limiting entries) as the trails and facilities are being over used.

As I remember it (it was 3 or 4 years ago) Zion was already limiting entries. The reason it took so long to make the last couple of miles to the gate was that the gate was closed to new arrivals. Each car without a valid camper/entry permit was being turned away. With only one lane in, that meant the those of us with permits had to wait in line to get to the gate while the situation was explained to each car that was turned away. Everyone, including the rangers manning the gate, was getting rather exasperated. I hope they have come up with a better "sorting" process by now.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #37

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Many millenials, and others, are enjoying the popularity of Car-Top Tents. We had seen these commonly in our travels to New Zealand and Africa. Read this article to find out what they are and why they are popular! https://gearjunkie.com/why-rooftop-c...ents-explained

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:14 PM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Concept is not new. 50 years ago another family we camped with had a rooftop tent on their Pontiac station wagon.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #39

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I see Tepui tents on the top of lifted Tacoma and 4Runner 4x4's all over town here.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #40

Registry
eCamper conversions on Elements are cool too.

I saw a lot of flip top camper tops on pickups last trip to CO. Looked a lot like a typical bed camper top except the top was flat and hinged. Opened up either to the side or forward.