How much flashlight do you need for camping? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2018, 03:31 AM   #61

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Ah yes, good old carbide lamps.
I happen to have a collection of about 200.

Walt
wow.

i've used them. they are amazingly effective lamps, just need calcium carbide and some water.. never actually owned my own, nor even seen one in 20 years.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #62

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I want a carbide light

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:35 AM   #63

Missouri
walit I collect telegrag keys I have about 100 some very expensive they will probably go into a dumpster when I die!!

bob
Old 01-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #64

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Carbide lamps are serious collectibles. The most I have paid is $1,200 and I know of one that sold for $8,000

Walt
Old 01-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #65

Missouri
seriously

walt that is what happens when I started ham radio 60 years ago telegraph keys were treated like junk. Since fone was starting up no one wanted them. 30 years later prices had skyrocketed now I don't know what they are worth probably a lot. some I paid 1k to 1.5k for but you never know. I do know of some keys in the 10k range but that s out for me.

another fad is microphones big big money now. seems if someone starts up a collection everything goes crazy!

I am sure the pickins on carbide lamps is the same way now. it sure is fun though! as I think about all this its going to be big labor to sell them when the time comes!!

good collecting

bob
Old 01-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #66

Missouri
good story dave by the way have you ever sewn a dogs ear back on?

bob
Old 01-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #67

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I want a carbide light

bob
Here you go. This store has all kinds of off the grid stuff. I visited the store once while on vacation. Get their catalog.
https://www.lehmans.com/product/carb...flint-striker/
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #68

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Carbide lamps

My brother did quite a bit of cave exploring years ago and had a pretty good lamp or maybe two, can’t remember. If I remember correctly they are subject to corrosion if not cleaned properly? If I was looking for them I’d check the second hand and Junke shops in the Areas of the country where coal is/was mined. If I’m looking for a particular antique I look extra hard when I’m in an area where they were commonly used. Felling axes, where logging was prevalent, corn picking gloves, Iowa, Nebraska etc. you get the idea. I did buy a telegraph key new in the box about 15 years ago at a garage sale. Gave it away. Gonna hit a
farm estate auction on Saturday. My mantra “You never know” Bob, I never sewed on a dog.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #69

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I was inspired by the recent thread, "How much knife to you need for camping?" to start a similar thread for portable lighting devices, commonly known as flashlights, headlamps, lanterns, and (in some countries) torches. I will start the ball... er, batteries... rolling.

Hi. My name is Mike. And I am .......... a flashaholic.

Attachment 115162

This is a fair sized chunk of my collection. Yep, that's right... I own more lights than this! I love to collect 'em, carry 'em, caress 'em, and (you bet I do) use 'em.

I have 3 lanterns (not pictured) but I find that I don't use them much because the light just goes everywhere... including straight at my eyes... and that makes it harder to see what I want to look at. So I tend to use flashlights and headlamps instead.

Top left, you'll see a pair of 4D Maglites. The black one has been custom modified with 7 XM-L emitters and now runs on 4 26500 lithium cells, for a 4200 lumen output. This has been a mainstay camping light for me.

The little ones just to the right of that black Maglite are Maratac single-AAA 3-mode "twisty" lights (tighten or loosen to turn on/off or change modes), and these are my "EDC" (every day carry) lights. I have one in my pocket 98% of the time. They're super handy and are hardly felt in the pocket. I'll have a couple of these with me when camping.

Another must-have light is the Zebralight which you see attached to a headband. Another XM-L LED with 1,000 lumen output on an 18650 cell, but a very wide beam. It's my favorite headlamp. I'll usually have one of the other single-AA Zebralights along for the outing in case I feel the need for AA power.

The light on the far right is a Fenix TK-70, and I've affectionately dubbed it "the Plunger" for obvious reasons. A bit over 2000 lumens on 4 NiMH D cells, the Plunger has a much more focused beam ( and therefore more "throw") than the brighter Mag. I like this light for spotting distant wildlife. It also came in handy for signaling the campers in Yosemite Village while standing atop Glacier Point; several of those campers were signaling back, too (which was fun, until some idiot with a green laser got into the act, and that's when I quit).

Near bottom center I have an Eagtac 3-AA and a Nitecore 4-AA, and these are my bedside lights. They each have a low mode of less than 10 lumens and a high of about 1,000. Plenty of runtime, too. If I'm going hiking toward evening, I will carry one of these (plus a Zebra and a Maratac as backups) in case I am out after dark and have to find my way back.

Two of the pictured collection have red, green, blue, and normal LED capability: the Quark RGB and (a month-ago acquisition) the FiTorch MR35. I like having one of these along for camping just because they are so much fun. The vivid colors they put out are amazing... far better than colored filters can achieve. The FiTorch's regular output is 1,200 lumens; the color emitters are offset (not centered) in the reflector and produce an ugly dark spot in the middle of the beam, so I smoothed out the beam with some DC-Fix diffusing film.

Finally, my newest addition which is at bottom center, vertical: the BLF Q8. This light will replace the Maglite on all my trips. Running 4 XP-L emitters on 4 high-drain (30A) IMR 18650 cells, this light ramps smoothly between a low of 2 lumens (with 1500 hour runtime) and a high of 5,000 lumens. Brighter than your tow vehicle's high beams. It tail-stands easily to provide extra light in the trailer. The switch glows a soft green so it's easy to find in the dark. What fun! This will definitely be going camping with me!

Ok, so it's your turn. What lights do you like to take camping?
Mostly what we use are Walmart $1.00 flashlights. I bought a dozen.
I prefer no or very little light. My night vision is pretty good and I want to keep it that way.
If you're afraid of the dark and the boggy man you might want more light.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #70

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
"How much flashlight do you need for camping?" [emphasis added]

One.

$0.97 2D from Walmart. It's pink because my girls picked it out. Stays in the Scamp, batteries pulled in storage.

It's a rare night when I can't make my 3am trek to the bathroom without it, but the girls want it.

Our main outdoor light for late dinners and clean-up is a Coleman propane double mantle lantern that runs off the same bulk tank as the Coleman stove. Both 30+ years old.

I'll confess the idea of a small LED flashlight running off AA or AAA batteries is tempting, since that one pink flashlight is the only thing we own that runs on D cells.

But I don't like bright lights. I might think I'm dead.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #71

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Linck View Post
...Night vision is a wonderful thing and is often endangered in campgrounds today.
And in the rest of the world.. Quoting an excerpt from https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ellite-vermin/

Day and night are actually less and less distinct for many of us. A recent study charted the growth of artificial light in our cities and habitats, and the results are pretty staggering. Human eyes are getting less and less opportunity to adapt to the natural, exterior night.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:07 PM   #72

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
"How much flashlight do you need for camping?" [emphasis added]

One.

$0.97 2D from Walmart. It's pink because my girls picked it out. Stays in the Scamp, batteries pulled in storage.

It's a rare night when I can't make my 3am trek to the bathroom without it, but the girls want it.

Our main outdoor light for late dinners and clean-up is a Coleman propane double mantle lantern that runs off the same bulk tank as the Coleman stove. Both 30+ years old.

I'll confess the idea of a small LED flashlight running off AA or AAA batteries is tempting, since that one pink flashlight is the only thing we own that runs on D cells.

But I don't like bright lights. I might think I'm dead.
You don't like bright lights? That Coleman is plenty bright! I have a double mantle one also (but I no longer take it camping because I grew tired of replacing the ultra-fragile mantles... one little bump and they turn to dust). I will admit though, there is something satisfying about hearing the lantern burning gas; the hiss sort of says, "We're roughing it in the great outdoors, like our fathers did."

But LEDs hardly ever burn out, which makes them handy. Jon, this might be about your speed: https://www.batteryjunction.com/rayo...lashlight.html Only 13 lumens (not at all bright), 2 AA, $2. Runtime up to 23 hours (it keeps getting dimmer as time goes on). Some Walmarts have 'em.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #73

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How much flashlight do you need for camping?

I've never had much trouble with the mantles- maybe one every couple of years. We run it off a post, so it doesn't get knocked over, and store it in a hard case. Usually run it at the lowest setting, so not too bright or too loud , but you're right- there's something familiar and nostalgic about the sound.

Thanks for the LED recommendation. Girls are teens now, so I don't think they'll mind if I retire the pink flashlight. Does the light have the bluish cast of some inexpensive LED's? That's a deal-breaker for me.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #74

Name: Shirley
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrorojo View Post
I feel so relieved - I thought I was the only person in the universe with a flashlight fixation. I'll see you at the meeting.
So glad I'm not alone 😙
Found a bunch of crank up flashlights at a garage sale still in the package, 50 cents each, no batteries needed.... not a high beam or anything but enough light in an emergency to see......I might have bought a few ???
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #75

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I prefer a very subdued light around my camp in the evening. I use two kerosene lanterns. Plenty of light to move around without tripping, and doesn't blind you or the neighbors.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #76

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I prefer a very subdued light around my camp in the evening. I use two kerosene lanterns. Plenty of light to move around without tripping, and doesn't blind you or the neighbors.

During our backpacking days I used a candle lantern. Plenty of light.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #77

Mid Left Coast
Hi, My Name is John, and I have a flashlight problem...

i always carry a tiny single-AAA powered LED flashlight, it has three brightnesses, medium, low, and very high, a Fenix LD01 (probably discontinued)

camping, I also usually have a headlight in case I need to do something outside in the dark at night, a Black Diamond Iota, which provides a nice soft diffuse light, its USB charged and lasts for many many hours of continuous use.

in the glovebox of my truck is a cheap super-bright LED light with a zoom head that puts out about as much light as a motorcycle headlight, this is something I would use in emergencies, its powered by an 18650 liion rechargeable.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #78

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
My wife wanted a flashlight she could see with, I bought this one and it works. Not cheap, but if you want to see at great distances this one works. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tk35ue&hv...l_3ue6rojn2g_p

Fenix TK35UE

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #79

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
My wife wanted a flashlight she could see with, I bought this one and it works. Not cheap, but if you want to see at great distances this one works. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tk35ue&hv...l_3ue6rojn2g_p

Fenix TK35UE

trainman
3200 lumens?!? thats about as bright as a pair of car high beams. I find that much light at night is counterproductive, it blinds you so you can ONLY see whats directly in the beam... I do see it has a 20 and 100 lumen mode...
Old 10-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #80

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I see it's a "tactical" flashlight.
Whatever that is.

1 relating to or constituting actions carefully planned to gain a specific military end: as a tactical officer in the field he had no equal. (of bombing or weapons) done or for use in immediate support of military or naval operations: NATO already has about 7,000 tactical nuclear weapons in Europe. Often contrasted with strategic.2 showing adroit planning; aiming at an end beyond the immediate action: in a tactical retreat, she moved into a hotel with her daughters. 3 British (of voting) aimed at preventing the strongest candidate from winning by supporting the next strongest, without regard to one's true political allegiance: Labour supporters in the city organized a tactical voting campaign.

Tags
light