How much flashlight do you need for camping? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
These new LED flashlights are AMAZING! and that's just the cheap ones...
TomK has one which will burn the limbs off of trees a half mile away and make a bright spot on the sun at noon! I heard he once turned that thing on in his basement in the daytime and the neighbors called the fire dept. (You think I'm Kidding?)
Floyd, those cheap LED flashlights that come in a multi-pack are pretty much all I use now, unless I am outside in daylight and I want to see something in a tight recess. Then I will try to use a mirror and redirect sunlight. I do have a Maglight that takes 3 C cells and a couple small ones that use AAs but I rarely use them these days.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #22

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I have a couple of LED key chain lights that I call pocket light bulbs as the end that lights up is half round like a tiny little light bulb. https://www.amazon.com/Nebo-Brillian...ain+flashlight and then there is the little thumb light that sticks to the key it self to make it easier to use the key in the dark. https://www.amazon.com/Smallest-Brig...9RM0EVAZC3FA62
Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #23

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Been through some torches and flashlights, but never really found a good one that does it all, the right way.

I have a red 6D Mag with LED(?) bulb. Not as impressed as the halogen upgrade, but uses D batteries a little slower. Also handy for self defense as it is about the length of a baseball bat.

I have a Streamlite Stinger at work. Plenty bright with a blend of bright spot and flood. Same version I have seen people using for couple decades. Has a clip on charger base that can use a 12V or 120V adapter cord to charge. Also has a spot for charging a spare battery. Which bring me to the down sides - relatively short battery life and no focus ability. BUT can't complain as it was a gift and works well enough.

Hand full of those AA and AAA check out line flash lights. Small enough for a key chain, good for poking around in a dark cabinet. Most seem to fail faster than batteries wear out.

Need to find the video of the guy who build the water cooled LED "flash light" that put aircraft landing lights to shame.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #24

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Unless you can change the batteries in the dark you need a second flashlight with you.

I am strongly prejudiced in favor of electronic "stuff" that uses AA or AAA batteries that mere humans can buy nearly anywhere.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #25

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
I am strongly prejudiced in favor of electronic "stuff" that uses AA or AAA batteries that mere humans can buy nearly anywhere.
I agree, including avoiding the button type batteries in favor of the "A"s.

Growing up, anything serious meant D cell batteries with very limited usable lives. the only alternatives were light duty stuff with C cells, and bulky lanterns with huge, heavy batteries.
Alkalines were a major, major improvement, but the biggest breakthrough was with LEDs. Now almost everything is AAs and AAAs, with much longer lives and, obviously, smaller, lighter formats. Life is good.
I also try to avoid anything with a 9v battery if I can find an equivalent that uses AAs.
Another major breakthrough is the newer rechargeables, NiMh, and to a lesser degree Li-ion to replace NiCads, which I never got along well with.
Now I power everything with rechargeable NiMh "A"s and almost never have to buy batteries. Good for the environment too.

Walt
Old 01-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #26

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Whenever I buy NiMH cells nowadays, I get the low self-discharge variety, like Eneloop (the best IMO) or Tenergy Centura. That way the ones in the drawer are pretty full when I grab them, instead of half-discharged from sitting around.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:59 PM   #27

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Yeah, mine are nearly all Tenergy. I buy from All-Battery. I do have a small number of Panasonics; a gift from my son.

Walt
Old 01-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
mike is there any left for you to buy?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #29

Missouri
lights

I must have 20 free harbor freight free lights here. put new batteries in them they are great!

bob
Old 01-22-2018, 11:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
mike is there any left for you to buy?

bob
They are always coming out with new ones!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:07 AM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
those insanely bright LED torches are extremely annoying when something nearby is flailing around with one.

i mostly use a Black Diamond "Iota" rechargeable headlight that puts out a wide field soft light thats dimmable, and a little single-AAA pen light that can put out a respectable 100 lumen in turbo mode, but normally is a 40 lumen light, which is way plenty bright enough for most things. I do have a couple cheap 18650 powered 1000 lumen torches with zoom heads, those come out if I think I hear an intruder or wild animal or something.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #32

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
My new must have flashlight for travel is an LED NEBO Redline flashlight. It is a tactical style and makes the perfect replacement for the old style high power flood light lanterns. Amazingly bright and shines for a very long distance away. But it is also has a dimming feature so it is good for regular household flashlight use. The width of the beam can be varied. One light to rule them all

I also received a NEBO Poppy lantern light for Christmas, it will go with me when I travel. It came in very handy at home during a long power outage the other evening. Also has a dimming function and a flashlight in the base end of it. But pops open for the lantern function.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #33

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I have a UST 60 day LED lantern that is advertised to stay lit for 60 days on the low sitting. Living in Hurricane country where power outages are a real possibility in the summer having a lantern that will stay lit longer than any outage is real nice. Also nice to take camping.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:05 PM   #34

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Anybody know of a flashlight that is bright, waterproof and does NOT have a red, strobe, or flashing mode?

I dislike having to go through an entire sequence.

For instance, I have a couple of lights with modes that are bright, dim, then maybe another lower dim, red, then strobe, then off.

So if you are on dim, the next time you turn on it goes to dim. The problem is that if you want bright you have to go through the entire sequence.

Hence my search for a simple, bright, dimmable, waterproof LED flashlight.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
In the dark

I’ve liked flashlights since I was a kid. I have quite a few especially the old silver Ray o vacs. I have a couple we keep in the camper plus I’m fond of the clip on your hat bill type for hands free light when walking. After shooting hours one night I walked out of an area owned by the state on a good equestrian trail. It was dark of the moon but easily navigable. When I reached my truck, the game
Warden was waiting and sure he had a poacher operating without a light. He gave me the 20 Questions routine and did not like my answer as to why I did not use a light. ( Because I can see better than you?). But no violations and no tickets, just a surly attitude. He did not last long with the DNR. I think I’d have been ok if I’d have used my trusty ray o vac.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #36

Missouri
flashlight

dave is that rayovac the one that took like 6 batteries in a long row. my dad had one boy it was great for the coon hunting expeditions!!

bob
Old 01-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #37

Iowa
Outshines them all

[/U]
Quote:
dave is that rayovac the one that took like 6 batteries in a long row. my dad had one boy it was great for the coon hunting expeditions!!

bob
Hi Bob,
Yup , I actually have two of those battery eating dinosaurs. One I bought and one I bought for my father in law and inherited. Both about 35 or 40 years old. PR13 bulb, 7 D cells, adjustable to 3,4, 6 or 7 cells. Shined a few coons with one when I lived in western Iowa during the 77,78, 79 fur boom. Those $40 coons paid for plenty of batteries.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #38

Missouri
lights

hey those coons don't bring 40 now do they?

amazing still considering dogs probable come out about equal. here the big thing is coyotes!!

bob
Old 01-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #39

Iowa
Auction

Quote:
hey those coons don't bring 40 now do they?

amazing still considering dogs probable come out about equal. here the big thing is coyotes!!

bob
Hi Bob
The Iowa Trappers Association fur auction was two weeks ago.
2400 coon sold. $15.00 top, $6.05 average
309 coyote sold $50.00 top, 24.05 Ave
9 Bobcat sold $65 top $47 ave.
Most of the guys who “put up” their fur (skin, flesh, stretch and dry) ship their stuff to the NAFA auction in Canada. Country buyers are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. The world market is controlled by the whims of fashion in China and Russia. More money in woods grown Ginseng, mushrooms, and shed antlers.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Anybody know of a flashlight that is bright, waterproof and does NOT have a red, strobe, or flashing mode?

I dislike having to go through an entire sequence.

For instance, I have a couple of lights with modes that are bright, dim, then maybe another lower dim, red, then strobe, then off.

So if you are on dim, the next time you turn on it goes to dim. The problem is that if you want bright you have to go through the entire sequence.

Hence my search for a simple, bright, dimmable, waterproof LED flashlight.
You might like a Fenix E20. https://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-e20-2015.html It will run on 2 AA and has 4 light levels, but no flashing modes or color modes. IPX 8 rating (good down to 2 meters of water).

This new Streamlight model https://www.batteryjunction.com/streamlight-88061.html is not as bright, has 3 light levels, IPX7 (1 meter), and can run on either 1-AA or 1-CR123A (a handy bit of flexibility).

For a flashlight that can double as a lantern light, check out this Nitecore LA10 https://lightjunction.com/collection...ng-led-lantern . It's only IPX6, but that's good enough if you dropped it in a puddle or something. 3 light levels, twist the tailcap for on or off or light level change. And it has a retractable diffuser for lantern use, and a magnetic base.

Tags
light