How much flashlight do you need for camping? - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #101

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm glad to see this old flashlight post resurrected. Am I the only female on this post? Like some others who have posted, I like the basics. I like to be a minimalist and having been a Girl Scout I follow their motto "Be Prepared". In spite of growing up in a city, my first overnight camping experience was in a little public park, next to the zoo. We heard the lions roar as our wake-up call!! While I can't imagine doing that today, it is an experience I will never forget and always treasure. I also subscribe to the premise that camping is best enjoyed as a minimalist activity. When I began to trailer camp I continued using many of my best backpacking skills.

I used to light our campsite with a big lantern with a mantle, loved the "hissing sound" but found the light too bright and I am extremely bothered by others who light up "the county" with a bright light. Our "go to" light at the picnic table is still the candle lantern; easy to pack, no batteries (just keep extra candles and matches), soft light.

My favorite flashlights consist of small, metal-cased handhelds ALWAYS with a "loop" or lanyard/chain to hold on wrist or around neck. The "loop" is extremely helpful in the trailer for hanging on cabinet knobs or at home on doorknobs so they are readily accessible in the dark or in a power outage. I also keep one, at the ready, in my car glove compartments, my "go bag", my nightstand, travel luggage and one per room on the doorknob. At home, I love the "flashlights" that plug into and outlet and go on when the power goes out, lighting my way in an emergency.

That said women, especially, are often advised to carry a long, heavy "tactical" flashlight to be used as a weapon should the need arise. Remember, ladies (and gentlemen) "Be Prepared!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #102

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM89 View Post
I know two year old post and i;m posting, But I have some doubt,

First I'm confuse here, "if we take one branded or durable flashlight during camping, is it okay? "

Sometime we get struggle and flashlight is the one life survival tool too, So I'm getting confuse to carry one flashlight.

Or the another option I have found is to keep extra smallest one keychain small flashlight during camping.

Really it's helpful to carry extra small flashlight or its depend on requirement?

Flashlight batteries only fail in the dark. I find that I need a second flashlight if only to help change the batteries in the first flashlight.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #103

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
When I was much younger, I was camping at a camp ground, with my family. In the middle of the night I had to go. The bathroom was lit up like a carnival so I just got up and walked to it. However, since it was like 3am, there was no other light on in the camp ground. I was bouncing off tents, and stepping in fire pits. I was starting to get desperate when, out of the darkness, I heard my father’s distinctive snore. I was saved! I followed the sound to his tent and from there was able to find my tent. A small flashlight would have helped a lot.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #104

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
oh dear. I have an 'every day carry' flashlight in the left front pocket of my jeans, this is a Fenix RC05SE, that has 4 brightnesses, from dim to 300 lumen, rechargable lithium. in the trailer, there's a couple different Goal Zero LED camp lamps, USB rechargable. In the trailer, there's also a box of CR2032 powered LED votive candles, amber and red, that are good for night lighting. in the top drawer across from the trailer door, there's this cheap LED 'zoom torch' (18650 rechargable powered), that has a bright mode that will sear your eyeballs, its nearly as bright as a motorcycle headlight. under the back seat of my car is this emergency work light, I think its CAT brand (like the tractor) and is something we picked up at Costco, has a magnetic base, and is great for road side emergencies, like working under the car. I always have a couple different headlights, a Black Diamond Iota, and some other torch thing that has both spot and flood mode, these two live in that top drawer across from the trailer door.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:39 PM   #105

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Flashlight Inventory:
L L Bean Solar rechargeable flashlight
2 Solar rechargeable Luci lights
1 Harbor Freight battery powered LED work light (free) with hook and magnet
1 battery powered Cobb LED Lantern (like the TAC Lantern from TV) with magnetic base.

I pretty much only use the solar recharging lights these days. I'm getting too old and cheap to keep springing for batteries. You bet I got all three on wicked good sales!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:49 PM   #106

Mid Left Coast
a 10 watt solar panel is several square feet. a 5 or 10 W USB port is miniscule. One of the LED lights in the trailer is a Goal Zero Torch 500, which has a built in solar panel, but it would take a week of direct sun to fully recharge as that solar panel is only 1.2 watts. it recharges in 4 hours on USB, which is powered by my trailer battery which has 160W rooftop solar to keep it charged.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #107

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
No panels required for the LL Bean flashlight or Luci lights, they already have the solar built in. Set them outside for the day and they stay fully charged.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #108

Mid Left Coast
I suspect those have considerably smaller batteries than that Torch 500, 18.7Wh (3.6V, 5200mAh), which with the integrated 1.2 watt solar panel means 24-48 hours to charge, vs 4 hours with USB. The Torch 500 has a 50-300 lumen flood lamp/lantern in addition to a 50-300 lumen spotlight. Medium power (150 lumen) on either the flood or the spot gives about 7 hours of battery life, the flood makes a very nice patio light..
Old 09-13-2021, 05:19 AM   #109

Name: Lee
Trailer: Oliver
Delaware
Thank you all for replying kind way, now I understand very well
LeeM89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:32 AM   #110

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Seeing the light!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM89 View Post
Thank you all for replying kind way, now I understand very well
Hi: LeeM89... Our old rechargable LED lantern is now going the way of Dinosaurs. Big, heavy, and clunky compared with the flashlights of today. They're small enough to keep one in every drawer of our trailer and give off way more light too!!!
You only need a flashlight when you can't see the batteries.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light