How much knife do you need for camping? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #41

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
that Byrd CaraCara2 I mentioned a few dozen posts ago, it is an import version of the Spyderco, only like $18 or something vs $70+ for a 'real' made-in-USA spyderco... way good deal for a way sharp and serious knife. its a lock blade, and the hole in the blade helps you open it one handed (hold knife, put thumb on that hole, and flick it open). instead of a sheath, I carry it in my left front pocket, with the clip over the rim of the pocket, and all the way to the outside of said pocket. the clip can be mounted on either end of either side, I arranged it as it is because I'm a leftie, and so that when I pull it out of my pocket, its oriented correctly for immediately opening.
Attached Files
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When I was a small boy, there was a company which made a cheap pocket knife called Imperial. They apparently broke easily.
On two different occasions I was out playing in the dirt somewhere when I spied what I thought was a MARVELOUS treasure. What looked like an Imperial knife mostly buried in the dirt turned out to be a great disappointment. In both cases it turned out to be only the thin sheet metal side which had broken off and was discarded.
I still see one of those junk knives once in a while but I wouldn't pick it up even if the whole thing was there!
It was something like the one below, only it was still black.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #43

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Floyd that is a neat nife. we have a menards here they run them free every once in awhile I am a terrible knife loser. I have lost some nice ones so I quit buying them. the story of the guy who skins 300 coons a year floors me.

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #44

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Red O’Hearn

Hi Bob
There are tens of thousands of raccoons in Iowa. They are pursued by sportsmen of all types, primarily for the value of the fur but there’s also a “meat” market. A good friend of mine from SW Iowa is among the premier coon harvesters anywhere in the country. He’s also a beekeeper and one of the best motivational speakers I’ve heard. I’ll drive 500 miles to hear him speak and buy a couple quarts of honey to talk to him for 15 minutes. Raising 6 children all of whom are doing well and never having collected a paycheck in his life, Red is special to me. Red uses a $10 knife and wears out a few each year. If you want a peek into another world that most people don’t know much about, google Red O’Hearn. It will open your eyes.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #45

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
well I live in mo we have coons plenty of them but he must be hunting them 24 hours a day. is he trapping or dog running? I must admit I have never eaten coons or possum but about everything else. I used to like squirrell brains until they said to stop.

I eat all the rest though I have never equaled my dad in shooting either he was a head shooter no matter where they were!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #46

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Coons

Trapping with a twenty four hour check. He ranges down into missouri with a non resident license. His wife is his partner. Have you ever read the Robert Ruark chapter on squirrel hunting in the Pecan grove from “The Old Man and The Boy? Pure poetry.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #47

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I carry an Aluminum handled paring knife that was my mothers, a Rosewood handled $0.98 paring knife, a 6” and 9” fillet knives, and leatherman tool in the trailer in my right front pants pocket is always a 3 blade Real McCoy from Mt Ida Arkansas.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:41 PM   #48

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
The KNIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Link to Guy Clark and The Randall Knife:
This knife, owned by singer-songwriter Guy Clark's father, inspired his song "The Randall Knife. The artifact is in the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum's exhibit "Outlaws and Armadillos: Country's Roaring '70s."
Attached Thumbnails
2021-09-13 22_36_34-Greenshot.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:47 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
And a link to the song:
Old 09-14-2021, 01:39 AM   #50

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that Byrd CaraCara2 I mentioned a few dozen posts ago, it is an import version of the Spyderco, only like $18 or something vs $70+ for a 'real' made-in-USA spyderco... ....
and now, that same Spyderco Byrd Cara Cara2 is $32,
https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Cara...dp/B004NKY3SI/
(also available with a plain edge instead of half serrated), and the similar 'real' Spyderco is now around $240. ouch.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:49 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Iwear an original Leatherman, and for the kitchen a 3" paring knife & an 8" chief's knife. Both are high quality (sharpenable) stainless.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #52

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I bring a utility knife, a Leatherman and Swiss Army knife.

My wife brings a good selection of kitchen knives. For this reason, among others, I don't mess with her.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #53

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
For the last 30 years, I have caried a Swiss Army Knife almost exactly like this:Click image for larger version

Name:	Adverturer.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	143292
It is attached to my keys, so it goes everywhere I do.

Recently I got my 17 year old daughter this knife:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger Grip 79.JPG
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	143293

I liked hers so much, (though I think the saw makes it too bulky) I am considering upgrading to this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger Grip 61.JPG
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	143294
I just wish it was available with a screw driver vs. the cork screw.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #54

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Kitchen knives
couple or four of steak knives
couple of sharp paring knives. Fluorescent green and came with a slip on blade cover. Have debated one larger sharp knife but so far have not needed it.

Pocket knife is a very small, inexpensive lock blade with a 1.5 inch blade, little bit of serrations at the base of the blade. Opens packages, peels fruit, cuts string. Key is it is kept very sharp.

Other pocket knife is a swiss army, basic model. has two blades, one has a broken tip, I really should grind a new point on that.

I have a multi tool in the first aid kit that has a knife blade.

I used to carry a Gerber Guardian 1 but as many jurisdictions have gotten somewhat negative attitudes about dagger point blades that length, attitudes expressed by making them illegal to carry, I no longer carry it. Did make a very nice belt or boot knife back in the day when that seemed an appropriate accessory.

Camp axe, sometimes called a pack axe. Full sized head but slightly shorter handle. Sufficient to split store bought or my own firewood. I tend to look for downed wood the thickness of my wrist or upper arm. No splitting just cut to length with bow saw.

Bow saw I have been using for about 50 years. Trick is to use a flat punch and reset the teeth to maintain the kerf by resting blade on soft end grain of a piece of wood and giving every other tooth a tap in the opposite direction to restore the kerf. Little touch up of the teeth with a stone or fine file doesn't hurt either.

I find hatchet is too small to be useful, folding bow saws work but since mine isn't that big I don't feel a need to buy a folding one.

Someplace I have a motley collection of assorted knives ranging from fillet knife to machete. Never use them, none that I recall are of especially good quality and a poor blade is an injury waiting to happen and a poor handle is either uncomfortable to use or a tail wind on that road to injuring yourself.

I do keep a butterfly knife in my winter gear. I can open that with gloves or mittens on without taking the hand coverings off.

I have seen some very good knife sharpeners. I still usually use a flat stone but have been eying some of the ceramic rod set ups. Have seen them put an amazing edge on with little effort.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote