How much knife do you need for camping? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
How much knife do you need for camping?

How much knife do you need for camping? I keep a couple of knives in the kitchen drawer for chopping veggies, etc. But I seldom carry any other than a multitool on occasion. Do you find a knife useful around the camp? Are you Rambo?

BTW. I do carry a folding tree saw. I carried a hand axe in the past, but no more since we seldom have fires. And I have the marshmallow forks for protection from invading zombies. ;-)

John
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 7.20.57 PM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #2

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
It depends. I have a small one that only cuts small stuff and opens beer bottles for the minimalist days. Then I have a couple of multitools somewhere for the mechanically challenging days. I have a "going to the scary city" knife as well. But these knives go in and out of hiding and I can usually locate only one of them. I do think I might have a Swiss Army knife somewhere...

I have some pastel handled knives in my trailer. They are not very big but I have cut a watermelon up with them. I like the pretty handles and the rest of the knife seems to be sharp. They are kept where they can be found and are used in the trailer--not taken out to the woods.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Blades

[QUOTE][/QUOTE
We used to hunt deer every year. We all carried fairly large fixed blade hunting knives, the Buck 119 and Schrade Golden Spike being favorites. We went hunting one day with a co-worker who harvested about 300 raccoons a year. He killed a deer, field dressed it in about 5 minutes and cut a stout stick to hold the body cavity open to cool and another to carry the deer out. He used a $10 pocket knife with about a three in h blade. But it was razor sharp. That was enough for me. I went to a medium sized 2 blade folding hunter. Never looked back. If you need to cut up limbs, get a folding saw. Split wood, get a two
Or Three pound hammer and a couple wedges. Use the right tool for the job.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Buck Folding Hunter , Wife gave it to me over 30 years ago for our wedding anniversary . Will be my favorite knife till the day I die !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I'll often carry a Benchmade Griptilian axis lock knife with 3" blade; it's so easy to deploy and fold one-handed, and the lock mechanism is IMO the best around. But I'm also fond of my Buck folding fillet knife.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
One of my favorites is a Rampur folding knife with a 12" blade. The other is a 6" hunter from Toledo Spain.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Buck Folding Hunter , Wife gave it to me over 30 years ago for our wedding anniversary . Will be my favorite knife till the day I die !!
My father gave me a Buck folding hunter many years ago and it's one of my favorites too. But my favorite among my Buck knives is the Alpha folding hunter. Just a great little knife.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My favorite knife is a Russell belt knife ( made in Canada ), although I've never used it or even had it on my belt. I inherited it from my father-in-law, but that's not why I like it either. I just like the way it looks and feels.
My favorite song is "The Randall Knife", by Guy Clark. If you like knives and sentiment, you should look it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Russell Knife.jpg  
Old 01-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Swiss Army knife. Two blades, can opener, bottle opener, screw driver's, awl, scissors, tweezers and probably more. It's got to be 30-40 years old and gets used every trip.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have a good sharp medium sized knife in the kitchen.
I always carry a couple of pocket knives.
But the Gerber shown below is the most useful knife I have ever owned for everyday and I never have to sharpen it.
I use IRWIN replacement blades because they are MUCH stronger than regular razor knife blades...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
These are the knives we carry.

Kitchen knives - 3 or 4
Steak knives - 2 or 4
Fishing knife
Leatherman
Utility Knife
Folding pocket knives - at least 2

I do carry a folding pruning saw and would never leave home without my Granfors Bruks Small Splitting Axe. We love to have a fire whenever possible, though do now carry a propane firepit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #12

How many times have you cut yourself Floyd?
Looks wicked.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #13

Link to Guy Clark and The Randall Knife:

Old 01-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How many times have you cut yourself Floyd?
Looks wicked.
I have never cut myself that I recall with the one shown in the picture. Each blade can be reversed as half gets worn, so I replace the blade every other time.
This knife is safe in the hands of an adult.
Gerber's first version about a decade ago had a narrow retainer which did make it possible for the blade to slip out, that one was dangerous. The ones they sell now are solid and safe to use and worthy of the brand name.
Look at the photo of the first design below and you can see that the blade was fully exposed and capable of slipping, also it allowed your finger to slip as well.
(compare the blade guard/retainer on each design)
Of course the one below has been out of production for years and should be discarded if found.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #15

Yup. That one looks similar to the cheapo version I picked up at the hardware store counter. But, I take extreme care, especially when changing the blade.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Yup. That one looks similar to the cheapo version I picked up at the hardware store counter. But, I take extreme care, especially when changing the blade.
If you are talking about that $4 Dollar one which has the push button blade release I have one of those, Its even worse than the first Gerber and it kinda scares me! It does have that string cutter feature though. Still I think it will languish in my drawer as I am too cheap to discard it!
I just looked at it and the only brand on it was "China" and they weren't proud of it as I had to use a magnifier to read that!
Old 01-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Mora Companion
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mora-Sweden...gAAOSwEZdaG38f
Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
D H Russell

Quote:
My favorite knife is a Russell belt knife ( made in Canada ), although I've never used it or even had it on my belt. I inherited it from my father-in-law, but that's not why I like it either. I just like the way it looks and feels.
My favorite song is "The Randall Knife", by Guy Clark. If you like knives and sentiment, you should look it up.
Those Grohmans made in Nova Scotia are truly a thing of beauty. I do not own one but have seen and handled them. I have several Dunn knives that I use as hunting knives and skinning knives. They have the Dymonwood handles and SV60 steel. They are very hard. I’m currently using the Ken Onion Worksharp to work them up. Seems to works well. Knives, axes and hatchets are things of beauty to me. I can’t help myself at gun shows, flea markets etc.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I always have a Leatherman on my belt and we have a multi-use-kit with knife that can attach to the handle and an assortment of steak knives if we have guests over for a meal in the kitchen draw.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #20

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Are there any Pat Mcmanus fans out there? Since reading one of his stories about knives, I find myself always saying "Be careful, the knife is very sharp." when I hand it to someone. I'm thinking the story was about the time in a kid's life when they are finally trusted to borrow and use a knife. The adult lender always says that phrase. Sorry for the thread drift.

I have used my "going to scary town knife" more for debarking alder than going to town and it has the stain of our local red alder sap on it, as do some of my clothes.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote