How to get title/license before picking up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
How to get title/license before picking up

Hi all,

Just got our bill of sale and title for the new (used) to us Oliver. Since we have to go to Arizona to pick it up, we figured we get the license before we left for the trip back. However, when we go to the title/license bureau here in Michigan, they will want the weight. The last time we had to do this with our last trailer we just took it to a scale but if course, we won't have it here to do that this time. Maybe I'm missing something? Is there some official place where one gets the weight?

Thanks, I hope this isn't a stupid question. Ha ha. I'll probably have more.

Karen
Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'm guessing that it's not on the AZ title?

I'm sure your DMV wants the manufacturers factory dry weight and/or it's maximum weight, usually not an actual weight.

Call the seller and have them look on the trailer, there should be a tag somewhere showing the shipping (dry) weight and the maximum allowable weight, it's a required sticker.

But it's a surprise that's all you need. In California, to register an out-of-state vehicle they want to eye-ball the VIN. But you can get an emergency moving permit.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #3

Michigan
Registry
Thanks Bob,

It is titled in TN. But sitting in AZ. And going to MI. HA,

I think I will just stop by and see what they say as it's confusing to say the least. There is a possibility of a temporary 30 day permit. Perhaps that will be the way to go....or if we get the weight from on the trailer itself from the owner, which would be easy enough, and they just let us tell them....?

At any rate, the Vin is listed on the title and on the bill of sales....

Karen
Old 03-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Helite
Here in Virginia we can get the title and license plate just by going to the DMV. We can also get a onetime transport plate that's good for a few days. Check with your DMV.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #5

I know about VA. At one time it had the highest number of fraudlent drivers license applications in he nation.

When I lived in Springfield, VA I bought a Airstream Bambi that had a MS registration and title. Turned out the seller had gotten it registered by a cousin in MS and no one ever questioned a thing about it, including the fact that it was stolen.....

I got out of it clean, the seller was arrested for GTA, and now I am forever careful about buying vehicles with out of state titles, hot titles or from 3rd party sellers.

The seller in Sedona, AZ couldn't give me the 13' Scamp they are trying to sell. What with a title in someone else's name & from out of state, & no current registration.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
According to the below paragraph from this State Of Michigan page, if the weight isn't on the Title/registration you already received, you'll need a weight ticket from a certified scale. Unless the seller can provide you with that, looks like you're sort of stuck...although you might ask your DMV if some sort of letter from the manufacturer will suffice.

Quote:
The empty weight of the trailer will be needed for registration purposes. The empty weight (shipping weight) will show on a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, or, in the case of a used trailer, on the seller's Michigan registration.

If the weight is not available from either of these documents, you will need to have the trailer weighed at a certified scale. By law, a trailer may be towed without a license plate, using the most direct route, to a certified scale to have it weighed (MCL 257.216). Certified scales are typically found at truck stops, grain elevators, scrap metal recyclers, and junk yards. Bring the scale weight receipt when you visit a Secretary of State office.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
I did read that at the Michigan site. Obviously, there must be a way to get it from there to here even if we don't have the weight since we can't be the first ones. I think I will stop in there In person with what I have and find out what the drill is. I will also get ahold of Oliver trailers. They did tell me the weight. Just not sure if state will take my word for it or if it needs something more legally. Binding....whatever that would be.

Karen

Ps. I did figure out how to post on iPad app.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #8

Registry
Ya know...there aren't that many 2008 Oliver 17's out there. If you get in touch with the factory with the trailer VIN they might be able to provide a duplicate of the original mfr. Certificate of Origin, the other document deemed acceptable by your State.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
thanks Francesca

I will email them and see if they have it. Since it was owned by one of the Olivers, hopefully they will still have that in their possession. ,
Karen
Old 03-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You can drive it back without a plate. Mi law states, if you buy a vichicle you can drive it home without a plate. Go to the SOS site and print it out.
I'd Add it to your insurance policy before hauling back.
I do it all the time.
Unless your going to take it on tour? It would be cheaper to ship it.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #11

I don't know about MI, but you can't move anything on a public hiway in CA, and most other states without some sort of a permit, registration and/or at least a current plate. And there are a lot of different states between AZ and MI. If it had a CA plate it would stay with the trailer, how about the TN plate it has/had?

Sounds like peeps in AZ don't like to re-register trailers when they move there???

Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #13

Registry
Depends on your State's rules. In my State (Washington), the plate goes with the vehicle, and is transferred therewith along with all responsibility/liability attached. This last so long as release-of-interest docs are executed at time of sale.

Some States issue plates to the vehicle's owner, and they have to be retained by that person if they sell the vehicle the plates are attached to.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #14

Ya BUT that is MI vehicle code. In CA, and many other states, the plate(s) (unless they are personalized plates) stay with the vehicle.

Again, they have to get from AZ to MI and intermediate states won't be interested in what done in MI, much less TN.

This entire sale exemplifies the mess one can get in with mixed up sellers & registration issues. If it had AZ plates I am sure they could easily get a moving permit in AZ if the plates don't stay with the vehicle. But I am sure that it is long overdue in AZ for AZ registration and state taxes.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
In NY, you have a choice - the "Dry Weight" from the manufacturer, or actual weight from a certified scale (our transfer station will provide a certified weight for $10.00).
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #16

All he needs is to have the seller get it weighed, next day the weigh slip.
Take it, and the title to the SOS pay the taxes and register it. He can have his plate by Friday.
If it weighs under 2500 lbs it's $75.00 for a permanent plate. Over 2500 it's $200, plus title fee.
Not a big deal!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #17

Michigan
Registry
Well to just finish this up. Oliver trailers can give us a 30 day permit to move it across the states in order to bring it home and get the liscence. So all is well for me. Interesting issues. Thanks all. Karen
Old 03-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #18

NOT DONE YET.....

I'd be very careful using a 30 day moving permit from a trailer manufacturer. In most states manufacturers can assign state issued temporary registration for new trailers, being moved from their in state location, to a permanent location. But moving a used trailer, that has previously been registered in another state, and originating in a third state, may not be so clear.

I would check with both the AZ DMV as well as your insurance company to verify that it would be legal in AZ, as well as that your insurance would cover you if there were any issues.

That offer walks like a duck and talks like a duck.....

Old 03-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #19

Good job Karen!
Enjoy your new camper.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #20

Michigan
Registry
Yikes bob. Another issue....ha. I will get to the bottom of it....

Tags
license, title