How to know if fair deal? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Posts: 702
AmyFl, Fiberglass travel trailers are overpriced...that is a fact...new or used you are going to overpay.

Scams involving “cashiers checks” are not unknown.

Have you even inspected this travel trailer???....it may not even exist.
It is easy to obtain pictures of an item that may not exist.

When purchasing a travel trailer or an automobile I have carried large amounts of cash.
No big deal. If you want to close a deal have the cash in hand.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:24 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 3,190
wire transfer

I agree with you

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
The only way I would even consider taking your Cashiers Check is that you give me the Cashier's Check, I keep the trailer, I keep the title and when your Cashier's Check clears my bank then and only then can you come get your trailer.

Unfortunately for you so many individuals are so afraid of bank wire transfers as if the Russian's are going to steal your money. Trillion's of Dollars are transferred around the world every day via wire transfer yet for some reason so many people think people are out to steal their $20K from all the internet BS! I understand you want some sort of security in this deal by wanting the title upfront. I'm also not sending you the title until I get paid. Somebody has to trust somebody to make this deal work!

Are you trying to do this deal in person OR via phone/text/internet?

You are only 4.5 hours away from the seller. Go meet face to face. Since you state you will not carry cash have the seller meet you at your local bank branch in the seller's town if one is available and pay them from your bank account. If no branch of your bank is available in the seller's hometown open a new bank account at the seller's bank, wire transfer your money to yourself into your new account and then pay the seller standing in the lobby of seller's bank in the seller's home town.

Short of buying new you may experience this same situation not accepting Cashier's Checks and Bank Wire Transfer's without providing you the title upfront from many other seller's when buying a used trailer.

Something to consider!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 3,190
agree

I carry cash to buy. only thing I wont fly with cash I have bought a couple of cars and cash was demanded I gave them a choice cashiers check or wire transfer. After telling bank it didn't take long to do it!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
AmyFl, Fiberglass travel trailers are overpriced...that is a fact...new or used you are going to overpay.

Scams involving “cashiers checks” are not unknown.

Have you even inspected this travel trailer???....it may not even exist.
It is easy to obtain pictures of an item that may not exist.

When purchasing a travel trailer or an automobile I have carried large amounts of cash.
No big deal. If you want to close a deal have the cash in hand.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #44
Junior Member
 
Name: Patrick
Trailer: Researching My First Camper!
North Dakota
Posts: 1
Go here www.nadaguides.com/RVs/Manufacturers and you can get a value estimate on nearly every make and model. Note on Scamps, 2017 is the most recent year.
EverClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #45
Junior Member
 
Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 16
Illinois
Posts: 8
Cashiers check can be dicey under certain circumstances, I guess.. but when we bought a trailer recently, the seller established an account with our same regional bank. We inspected the trailer, went to the branch bank, with them, filled out bill of sale etc filled out the trnsfer section of the title, and had the teller notarize the bill of sale. Teller then did a direct transfer account to account.. Transfer verified, everyone happy. Might involve one party establishing a new bank account and keeping it for a bit, but it was the safest way for everyone involved. Nobody carrying large amounts of cash.. no waiting for a check to clear with the trailer long gone.
jtweigandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #46
Member
 
DebCost's Avatar
 
Name: Deb
Trailer: Casita SD-17
Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 46
Registry
I would have driven the 5 hours if I really wanted the camper. I drove from Chicago to Virginia for my Casita.
DebCost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Posts: 233
I drove from eastern Missouri to western Montana.

Nice drive.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #48
Member
 
AmyFL's Avatar
 
Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Posts: 53
I found a trailer 2.5 hours away. Nice couple - I am paying with a cashier’s check. So it all worked out. Thanks for all of the helpful advice.
AmyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #49
Junior Member
 
Judi in NC's Avatar
 
Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
Posts: 27
I had the same worries as well--too may scams on both ends for deals on trailers that couldn't be seen because of distances. I ended up buying a brand new customized Scamp 16' Standard Layout 6 last year and am VERY pleased with that decision.
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:18 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Posts: 554
Another thing to consider when buying a used trailer, is the 10 year old limit some campgrounds impose.
Camp Cracker Barrel, Camp Flying J, and state and federal parks don't care if your trailer is too old.
__________________
That's my job. I read...and I know things
Mitzi Agnew-Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,410
We don’t do electronic banking or much of anything else electronically
When we built our lake home in 1989 I went to the local lumber yard ,
ordered $10,000 worth of lumber / windows for and it was delivered the next Friday
When I asked about paying , the owner said I’ll bill you and if you don’t pay me , you won’t get any more lumber - end of discussion
Still have an account there , still pick out my lumber ,load it in my truck , say but it on my bill and leave
If you don’t want my cashiers check , fine , someone else will .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Posts: 1,231
I just sold a 2013 Casita. I priced it at a no haggle price. It included a great many modifications, not all of which the buyer probably really appreciated: He did not want the Honda generator. I felt it was priced high, but perfectly willing to let a buyer walk out the door. I received the first call within 15 minutes of placing the ad, the second about 20 minutes later. The third the next day. The second caller wanted it but could not get here within 3 weeks. The third called said he could arrived within the next day or two. I called the second caller and told him of the third caller and he said to go ahead and sell, which I then did.

I use two Savings & Loan companies. Wireless transfer is very difficult to do for these two. I have tried before and so, this time, was prepared to handle money other ways. I agreed with the out of state seller that carrying cash was dangerous, not because he might get robbed, but because of civil forfeiture laws. He uses a regional bank, with no presence in my state; it would take many days for a wire transfer to be done between his and my institutions, I contacted both institutions. Please don't tell me otherwise.

We agreed that a Cashiers Check would be acceptable if he would agree to go to the S&L to deposit the check, and after it was approved by the S&L I would then sign and hand him the title. We cleared everything with the S&L prior to his getting to my house. Once he got here I accepted the CC and gave him the title because I accepted that he was honest and everything was on the up and up.

Wire transfers are difficult for my S&L's to handle. I know, in this day and age, right? However, if I lost both the trailer and the money we would not be financially devastated, so I basically cut to the chase once I met the gentleman and felt confident all was well.

Was the price I put on the trailer high? Perhaps, but it sold within hours of being put on the Casita Forum and I, at least am satisfied. Since he bought it I assume he is also satisfied. But I was prepared to keep the trailer on the market for months if I could not get my asking price.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I just sold a 2013 Casita. I priced it at a no haggle price. It included a great many modifications, not all of which the buyer probably really appreciated: He did not want the Honda generator. I felt it was priced high, but perfectly willing to let a buyer walk out the door. I received the first call within 15 minutes of placing the ad, the second about 20 minutes later. The third the next day. The second caller wanted it but could not get here within 3 weeks. The third called said he could arrived within the next day or two. I called the second caller and told him of the third caller and he said to go ahead and sell, which I then did.

I use two Savings & Loan companies. Wireless transfer is very difficult to do for these two. I have tried before and so, this time, was prepared to handle money other ways. I agreed with the out of state seller that carrying cash was dangerous, not because he might get robbed, but because of civil forfeiture laws. He uses a regional bank, with no presence in my state; it would take many days for a wire transfer to be done between his and my institutions, I contacted both institutions. Please don't tell me otherwise.

We agreed that a Cashiers Check would be acceptable if he would agree to go to the S&L to deposit the check, and after it was approved by the S&L I would then sign and hand him the title. We cleared everything with the S&L prior to his getting to my house. Once he got here I accepted the CC and gave him the title because I accepted that he was honest and everything was on the up and up.

Wire transfers are difficult for my S&L's to handle. I know, in this day and age, right? However, if I lost both the trailer and the money we would not be financially devastated, so I basically cut to the chase once I met the gentleman and felt confident all was well.

Was the price I put on the trailer high? Perhaps, but it sold within hours of being put on the Casita Forum and I, at least am satisfied. Since he bought it I assume he is also satisfied. But I was prepared to keep the trailer on the market for months if I could not get my asking price.
We recently sold our 2013 Casita 17 ft SD
After reading your post / ad , I thought your asking price was more than fair , in fact if truth be told a little low
Your trailer was a vast improvement over a stock model !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Posts: 1,231
No. No. No. I was satisfied until I read you post Steve...



Just kidding...I think...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
No. No. No. I was satisfied until I read you post Steve...



Just kidding...I think...
Please do not take my post as a criticism , that was not my intention
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Posts: 1,231
I understand, I was just kidding. I try to read everything you post and value your opinion.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Know What You Don't Know Jeanne E Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 32 10-26-2018 07:18 PM
Is this a fair deal? RLP Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 10-12-2011 09:22 PM
Deal or No Deal Benita Jokes, Stories & Tall Tales 0 09-12-2007 12:47 PM
The Desolate Wilderness & And the Fair Land Patrick M. General Chat 2 11-23-2006 12:59 AM
The Desolate Wilderness & And the Fair Land Patrick M. General Chat 0 11-24-2005 11:45 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.