How to know if fair deal? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
I did not want to pay and not get a title.
Exactly. Once the money has changed hands, if you don't have a valid title in your hands, then you can have all sorts of problems. even if the seller is honest and planning on delivering the title. Things get lost, people get sick, move, forget, etc.

Quote:
My bank said I had to be present to wire - on the east coast of FL. Seller was on west coast.
1. Good.. trust your banker. Ask them how to safely transfer funds. 2. Thats a short distance.

Quote:
I can always drive to another state in the spring.
Heck you are in Florida, you can dive quite a distance any time of year. Try buying a camper in February in Minnesota!

Quote:
The right one will come along.
Yes it will. Be patient.

But to answer your question... You can tell its a fair deal if you plan to drive the 4 1/2 hours to see it but it is sold before you can get there. On the other hand, if it has been for sale for a month or more, then caution is advised. That means you should make your preparations to buy fast, but also be careful as well as quick.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
“ On the other hand, if it has been for sale for a month or more, then caution is advised. .
We had our Casita for sale / on the market for almost 4 months .
The trailer was in excellent shape , all the appliances worked , nothing leaked , we had a clear title and the trailer was as represented .
We had numerous offers most for about 50 to 70% of the trailer’s true value , we had set a fair price and stuck to it . We had people call and ask if we would haul the trailer to their residence ( 500 to 1000 miles away ) so they could look at it and again we said no
Assuming that anything that is on the market for over 30 days is not as represented is a false assumption
We didn’t need the money and I was wiling to hang on to the trailer
It could have sat in my pole barn forever
The buyer is not always correct !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:09 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Steve, you forgot to mention all the jerks who say they'll be coming to see it and don't show.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:03 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Location makes a difference. A month on the market in a major urban area is long. A month in an isolated rural location is not so long.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
... On the other hand, if it has been for sale for a month or more, then caution is advised. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Assuming that anything that is on the market for over 30 days is not as represented is a false assumption...
Quoting me in your reply indicates that you are replying to the quoted text and not making an independent statement. But you greatly mischaracterized and / or misunderstood what I said in the quote.

What I said... "caution is advised."
What you heard.. "assume it is not as represented."

Suggesting that caution is advised means just that.. use caution, look a little harder for any issues or reasons for it to be for sale for that long.

Certainly if the camper being sold is in a remote area then that is one possible reason and might well be the only explanation needed in your cautious investigation.

If I had meant that one should make any assumptions simply because a camper was for sale for a month, then that is what I would have said.

But I never would say that because you know what happens when you ass.u.me.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Quoting me in your reply indicates that you are replying to the quoted text and not making an independent statement. But you greatly mischaracterized and / or misunderstood what I said in the quote.

What I said... "caution is advised."
What you heard.. "assume it is not as represented."

Suggesting that caution is advised means just that.. use caution, look a little harder for any issues or reasons for it to be for sale for that long.

Certainly if the camper being sold is in a remote area then that is one possible reason and might well be the only explanation needed in your cautious investigation.

If I had meant that one should make any assumptions simply because a camper was for sale for a month, then that is what I would have said.

But I never would say that because you know what happens when you ass.u.me.
Words have consequences !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #27

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Words have consequences !!
But not always meaning.. and I for one have NO IDEA what you mean by that.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #28

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
We are all here to help each other

It is hard to not interpret something the wrong way, when we cannot hear each other speak. Thank you all for the well-meant advice. I appreciate it!
AmyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:13 PM   #29

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
California
Patience and research are key!

Hi Amy - I searched and researched for about a year looking for a 13' Casita or Scamp. I learned about the different models, pros and cons of different features, and also found out what it would cost to have a new one delivered to me (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area). I searched both local (Craigslist) and national ads (this website and others) to see what people were asking for their trailers. "Fair" price on these things is very subjective - but I kind of got an idea for the range I was comfortable with given age/condition/options.

I lamented often that the trailers I would buy were for sale in places like Vermont, Texas, and Florida (no way was I going to drive that far!). Then this past Saturday morning I pulled up my local Craigslist and lo and behold somebody had just posted a nearly new (2018) 13' Scamp.

Since I had been following the used market for so long I felt comfortable that this was a really great deal and I immediately jumped on it. They were about 90 miles from me - but I immediately responded to the ad and told them I was on my way (I'm familiar with CL scams - but a few back and forth emails with the seller convinced me that they were legit - I had their real name, their real address, etc - a quick Google search confirmed enough info for me to be comfortable).

The seller said they were ok with either a cashier's check or cash, so I stopped at the bank on my way and got the cashier's check.

I'm thrilled to own this "new to me" camper and I feel the price I paid was very fair. It was the many months of research and patience that allow me to conclude my price was fair - others may or may not agree, I don't care . Once you know what you want and what you're willing to pay, you'll know if the available trailer is priced "fair."

I will caution - the older the trailer gets, the more I would advise to look closely for issues. Also, I'm always more comfortable buying from the "original owner" because I know they know the trailer's entire history. Once it's traded hands a few times its history gets lost.

Take your time, get to know what's available and what your preferences are. The right trailer for you will show up in due time. Good luck!!

Paul
twinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #30

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Congratulations! I am glad your patience paid off.
AmyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #31

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
A cashiers check is backed up by the banks money, not yours. A demand for wire transfer is a red flag for fraud.
Don't deal with this seller. Period
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #32

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
A cashiers check is backed up by the banks money, not yours. A demand for wire transfer is a red flag for fraud.
I guess I should have told my closing attorney no when they insisted on a wire transfer for the down payment on my house.

And by the way, bank and cashier checks are easy to fake. Lots of people have been burned by accepting what appeared to be a good cashiers check.

Verification is still required for checks or wire.. deal with people you know, such as your banker... see https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...nsfer-services
Old 02-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #33

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Registry
How to know if you have a fair deal.

There is one sure way to know if you have a fair deal, and that is when both parties walk away happy. Try not to trouble yourself that you may have got something for a few dollars less. Try to focus on the joys your new trailer will bring. Buyer's remorse can make a sweet thing taste bitter.
Pete Drewcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #34

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
how to deal!!!

In my buying and selling experiences cash is king! I wanted an A-Liner found 1 350m away. Called the seller talked to him what he told me was good. We got to talking I saw what he listed it for I asked him what would work for cash money he discounted his price by $500.00 I told him I would take it inspection of course. I sent him a small deposit to hold it these A-Liners are hot! I got there hooked it up he got his title out signed it I handed him his money he didn't even count it and I was on my way. Happy!

After big-time back surgery it was time to move on I found a 13f Scamp the guy was picking up his Big-Foot 5th wheel soon. I worked the same deal I got a 13f Scamp with A/c for 5k. Same procedure cash no problems to deal with! In Scamps I don't think age matters a whole lot either they have been maintained or they haven't.

Then I had the A-Liner for sale listed it for $500.00 more than I paid for it but I had made improvements. Man drove 800m same procedures cash is king! He passed the cash I gave him a signed title he went on his way home a happy man!

I am thinking pure cash is the way to go in these private deals of course if you cant handle it things may not go the way you like but for the ones that can deal with it better deals are made!

As in all things do you research! Have a definite idea of what you want do you searches and be ready with cash and have your tug ready to roll within a few days!

I do have fun buying and selling!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #35

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
Transferring Money

I have had no problem carrying around "larger" sums of cash to purchase stuff. Like cars, garden tractors, even trailers. Biggest problem is remembering to warn the bank branch or they may not have enough cash on hand. (Hmmm). Then you end up going to several branches to get what you need which is a bit of a pain.

I wouldn't accept a cashier's check either. I understand there is a lot of fraud in that department. All our sales (tent trailer, tractors, travel trailer, cars etc) have required cash and even though I didn't say anything, the buyers arrived with cash without even being asked.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:19 PM   #36

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
One more thing concerning titling. So the title isn't transferred until the check clears? So what. When talking to the police after a friend's trailer was stolen from the storage yard, they told her "you'll never see it again - it is most likely sitting in a hunt camp somewhere". In other words, not on the road. So who needs a title?

In the words of a local business owner, "cash doesn't bounce".

Cheers
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:28 PM   #37

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
AmyFl

If you are using a credit union, ask about a shared branch network. I drove to Michigan to pick up our Bigfoot from a dealer, when I inspected it and we reached a final price, I drove a few minutes to a nearby town that had a credit union that was part of the shared system, they made a check from my home account in Missouri to the dealer for the amount I needed, no fees or hassle. I had verified this before hand with my local credit union. I didn't want to carry that much cash either, nor have a bank check as there was still room to negotiate.
With an individual they could follow you to get the funds and process paper work at the bank/credit union if a notary were needed.

Good luck on your hunt, it pays off if you can wait.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:36 PM   #38

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
I had a seller demand wire transfer. I did it and it was not a scam. But I had already met the seller in person and inspected the trailer.

As far as "How to know if is a fair deal": if it is what you want and the price fits your budget, then its a fair deal. The fact someone else found one cheaper should not matter. I see too many people envious of some deal someone else on the internet got. Does not matter.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:50 PM   #39

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
I thought I had a deal settled on a 2019 13’ Scamp in FL. Unfortunately, the seller would not accept a cashier’s check, and I would not wire money with a title in hand. I don’t want to carry that cash!) Thanks for any advice - Amy
The only way I would even consider taking your Cashiers Check is that you give me the Cashier's Check, I keep the trailer, I keep the title and when your Cashier's Check clears my bank then and only then can you come get your trailer.

Unfortunately for you so many individuals are so afraid of bank wire transfers as if the Russian's are going to steal your money. Trillion's of Dollars are transferred around the world every day via wire transfer yet for some reason so many people think people are out to steal their $20K from all the internet BS! I understand you want some sort of security in this deal by wanting the title upfront. I'm also not sending you the title until I get paid. Somebody has to trust somebody to make this deal work!

Are you trying to do this deal in person OR via phone/text/internet?

You are only 4.5 hours away from the seller. Go meet face to face. Since you state you will not carry cash have the seller meet you at your local bank branch in the seller's town if one is available and pay them from your bank account. If no branch of your bank is available in the seller's hometown open a new bank account at the seller's bank, wire transfer your money to yourself into your new account and then pay the seller standing in the lobby of seller's bank in the seller's home town.

Short of buying new you may experience this same situation not accepting Cashier's Checks and Bank Wire Transfer's without providing you the title upfront from many other seller's when buying a used trailer.

Something to consider!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #40

Name: Patricia
Trailer: ECO & Casita
California
Registry
How to know if it is a fair deal

Another thing to consider when buying a used trailer, is the 10 year old limit some campgrounds impose. You can sometimes get around that restriction if it is considered “vintage” or by submitting photos of your camper for inspection. This restriction is not too widespread now, but you may encounter it, especially in the more popular vacation spots. I ran into this restriction at the CalExpo facility when I reserved a spot on the California state fair grounds last summer.

As far as having a work/dining surface in a 13 foot, you can add a gaucho pole mount in the floor in front of the bench, and still be able to get around inside with an 18” round tabletop from Lowe’s or Home Depot. You just need to check the placement carefully, so you miss the center floor support. I mounted mine with the floor mount flush with floor, so there is no tripping over it when it is put away.

Some sellers will offer to set the trailer up in a campground so the prospective buyer can camp in it overnight to make sure everything works, and that it will fit their needs.

If you do get one of the heavier models, having a factory installed tow package already in your tow vehicle may save you a lot of problems later on. It will handle pulling a heavy trailer in all road conditions better than a vehicle that has had the tow hitch, electric brakes and wiring installed later.
Pat Stipe is offline   Reply With Quote