How to sell for cash only - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard Layout 6
Illinois
How to sell for cash only

How can I sell my Scamp for cash when people refuse to carry that much cash?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I just lost a sure sale because of that.

Thanks
Dennis
DLDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #2

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLDK View Post

Thanks
Dennis
Maybe arrange to meet them at their bank.
A cash carrying buyer will come along though.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #3

Illinois
That's a very good suggestion. This buyer was too far away but I'll keep that in mind.

Dennis
Old 07-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
That's a very good suggestion. This buyer was too far away but I'll keep that in mind.

Dennis
There are quite a few large national banks with branches all over (Wells Fargo, Bank of America...). Worth asking, even if they live far away.

But as far as I can see, it's still a seller's market. You didn't lose a sale as much as they lost a trailer. There will be another, likely sooner for you than for them.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #5

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:

Dennis
If the buyer has a bank that is nationwide that helps as you can just go to the local branch near you. Have the buyer verify this first that it is okay and that they have the cash in the bank.
Some banks like advanced notice of any withdrawal over 5-10K.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
You both go to your bank and have the buyer have his bank do a transfer from their account into yours.
Best of luck.
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #7

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I like to meet at their bank too. It works well - Safe place, witnesses, etc.. I have done this a few times buying cars. My bank is usually not too far away and I am buying the item so they agree to meet there. We walk in - I write them a check on the spot in front of the clerk and they immediately cash it with me there. That way they know the money is real and I mean business. I do not trust checks of any kind any more and you have to have a keen eye to spot real bills too. PayPal is a possibility as well as escrow.com which I have used both as well with no problems when buying across country.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #8

Illinois
All great ideas. Thank you all.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
We went to our credit union with our buyer when we sold our Casita.

Our teller had visibility to the buyer's account at a different credit union and was able to tell us that their check was good; she credited the money to our account on the spot.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes, that works for some credit unions with shared branch agreements. It's not a given, though. It depends on which credit unions you each have a relationship with.

Ours used to have a local shared branch location, but it was terminated and we now have to drive 3 hours for any in-person business. Hated to do it, but convenience forced us into one of the big, bad megabanks (Wells Fargo).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I talked to two trailer owners one an airstream and the other a
Scamp who had both purchased very nice, lightly used trailers. One was from Texas and one from Wisconsin. Both related nearly identical purchase stories. Craigslist ad, called seller at 5 am and started out on a 200 mile drive, agreed to hold trailer till they got there. Trailer was perfect as advertised, had a roll of cash to cover asking price and did not bargain. Made deal and as they walked back to their vehicle, 4 and 6 prospective buyers were parked on the street and turned away. It can be done, just make it clear that that’s the deal if that’s the only way you feel comfortable. It won’t bother an earnest buyer. (with any personal confidence)
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #12

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
You DO realize that the word SCAM is most of what word SCAMp is. - just a bit of funny for you...
Old 07-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #13

Iowa
What’s in a name.

When I was about 17 I learned that the peak of a wave was called the zenith and the low point the nadir. Years later I was working with a fellow who was hosting the 50th anniversary of the Chevy Corvair car rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

After meeting with him one day, I walked him outside to his car, a restored Corvair. Vanity license plate “Nader” as a double entendre to the quality of manufacture of the car and the man who campaigned for those screwed by buying one. This guy loved the cars even for their faults and had 6 Corvairs at the time I worked with him.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #14

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Cash sale scams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
You DO realize that the word SCAM is most of what word SCAMp is. - just a bit of funny for you...
Sorry to tell you nothing is fool proof. Person in my area (selling a boat) went to the bank with the buyer to get the cash, then when he deposited it at his bank one of the bills was called fake by his bank. (BTW, my sisters Scamp was titled as a SCAM by the state of Wisconsin.)
Attached Images

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Yes, that works for some credit unions with shared branch agreements. It's not a given, though. It depends on which credit unions you each have a relationship with.
It's all voodoo to me, but various financial institutions often have ways of communicating, so it's worth asking. We did something different with a Chase customer; the Chase teller issued the cashier's check in front of us, so that was pretty comfortable.

Chief among my interests is not handling a large wad of cash, other than when I'm in my money bin to toss it up and let it hit me on the head.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #16

Iowa
Throwing money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
It's all voodoo to me, but various financial institutions often have ways of communicating, so it's worth asking. We did something different with a Chase customer; the Chase teller issued the cashier's check in front of us, so that was pretty comfortable.

Chief among my interests is not handling a large wad of cash, other than when I'm in my money bin to toss it up and let it hit me on the head.
Ever make it rain? Me neither.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Only place I would accept a large cash payment would generally be at the bank or at the local sheriffs. Both have video cameras, the bank can verify currency is legit and deposited in my account. Very few criminals will walk into a sheriffs office to commit the crime on police surveillance video. Seems so much simpler than having wife hide in the trees with a laser pointer that she uses to keep a red dot on their chests to encourage honesty.

One needs to be aware that you bank will deposit a check without verifying the funds. Fake cashier checks are a common enough scam to be aware of. So sure I'll take a check or cashiers check but you won't get your goods until it clears. Give me a call in say three business days.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #18

Iowa
The exchange

When the Craigslist thing got going it was somewhat common for an exchange to go bad when the meeting was in a business parking lot. So the next door city of Marion Iowa came out with this. Bring your stuff out to the main police station and tell the buyer you’ll be waiting inside. An officer will watch the transaction and check the bills for authenticity, or go out to the parking lot to view the exchange if it is a large item. Then the officer will wait for one of the two parties to drive away. Pretty nice service and I think it was popular, probably still is.
10:30 at night in a Walmart parking lot, not so much.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler
When I sold one of my trailers we both had accounts at Wells Fargo so we met at the bank, he looked it over and then we went into the branch and did a direct transfer of funds into my account. It took about a half hour to complete the transaction.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #20

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
Quote:

Thanks
Dennis

I carried cash to the houses of the two sellers, when I bought each of my Scamps.
They accepted it without issue, and both lived within about 2.5/3 hours.

The people who bought my Scamp lived 500 miles away, but sent a family member to check it out. When they were satisfied, they sent my asking price to my Paypal account, which I could check on the spot.

Meeting at a bank seems like a really good idea as well, so that the bank personnel can check out the buyer's account status.

The serious buyer won't balk at what they need to do to buy.

Good luck, and if your rig is in any decent shape, you will sell it soon!
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote