How will high fuel prices affect your camping plans? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #21

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Just finished a 2600 K trip burned 400 L of fuel cost 750.00 in US numbers that's 1600 miles, US gallons 105 US dollars 580.00

Most people towing have a good idea of their fuel consumption, will it affect people this season more than likely.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:02 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
At least the lineup at Costco moves. Takes maybe five minutes to fill the tank, not 45 minutes.
Meh. A typical supercharge for us is 15 to 20 minutes. The Costco in Palm Springs down the street from us had typical lineups of 45 to 60 minutes. I don’t know what kind of savings they have but it must be worth it.

And other than road trips we charge at home.

Cheers.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:42 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellers View Post
Meh. A typical supercharge for us is 15 to 20 minutes. The Costco in Palm Springs down the street from us had typical lineups of 45 to 60 minutes. I don’t know what kind of savings they have but it must be worth it.

And other than road trips we charge at home.

Cheers.
If it's the one off I-10 at Monterey Ave., I know that Costco, and it's definitely one of the busiest I've encountered anywhere. We often stop there headed to and from SoCal. Even so, it's never taken me more than 20-30 minutes to get fuel. I get gas and my wife and kids go inside. Just bring me back a hot dog combo...

Worth it? Ask my wife.

For us, electric transportation is still a long way off. The nearest supercharger is 85 miles away, and I pass 15 or 20 gas stations along the way. I don't even have power available at my driveway. For that matter, the nearest Costco is 150 miles away. Such is rural life in a wide swath of the country. Is the price of fuel affecting our lives and travel? Sure. Are we going to stop living and traveling? Nope. Are we going to make adjustments? Of course.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #24

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I have made the big investment when I purchased the truck and trailer. I now need to try and wear them out.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:57 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If it's the one off I-10 at Monterey Ave., I know that Costco, and it's definitely one of the busiest I've encountered anywhere. We often stop there headed to and from SoCal. Even so, it's never taken me more than 20-30 minutes to get fuel. I get gas and my wife and kids go inside. Just bring me back a hot dog combo...

Worth it? Ask my wife.

For us, electric transportation is still a long way off. The nearest supercharger is 85 miles away, and I pass 15 or 20 gas stations along the way. I don't even have power available at my driveway. For that matter, the nearest Costco is 150 miles away. Such is rural life in a wide swath of the country. Is the price of fuel affecting our lives and travel? Sure. Are we going to stop living and traveling? Nope. Are we going to make adjustments? Of course.
Seriously those hotdogs were like a vice for me. We sold our property there and I think the hotdogs were one of my enduring memories. Lol. .

We enjoyed our winter digs there but it was time for a change. Next winter we are possibly dragging the trailer down to Rocky point in Mexico for a few weeks. We’ll be stopping in Palm Springs to do a little visiting. Maybe I’ll sneak one in. We have a Costco here about an hour away. They just don’t taste the same. Maybe it was the Palm trees. .
Old 05-13-2022, 05:30 PM   #26

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
On some other RV forums the diesel motorhome guys are distressed by the normal $100 credit card pump limit. They are having to swipe 3 or 4 times. No thanks....
Old 05-13-2022, 06:05 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I haven't filled up for a while, but from memory, the pumps here have buttons for up to $250 and "Other Amount". I just punch $100 until recently. Now I punch $200. You see the $200 charge on your credit card and then the credit for $200 and the charge for the actual amount of gas pumped.

I wonder why gas companies down south haven't figured this out.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:09 PM   #28

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
On some other RV forums the diesel motorhome guys are distressed by the normal $100 credit card pump limit. They are having to swipe 3 or 4 times. No thanks....
Ugh. I remember those days. One used to be able to get around it by going inside and pre-paying.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:50 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
new traveling methods

now due to high fuel prices we will be curtailing the amount of miles we travel per day!
Old 05-14-2022, 10:36 AM   #30

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Although gas prices haven't stopped us from travelling, we are currently paying $5/gal at the local Shell station, ($4.99 9/10 per gallon yesterday,) it does make us plan more to get the most bang for the buck these days. The same with combining our shopping and errands to save fuel.

I hear ya Greg and we do the same but realistically......even as gas prices have increased.....it costs me $10 to $20 more to fill my tank depending which vehicle we're filling. Don't get me wrong....I don't like the prices but they are not going to stop me from enjoying a trip when I want to. Perspective is funny sometimes.....yesterday.....I was at our museum and a guy came in holding a $7 cup of coffee he bought next door......when he walked in our staff member told him we have an admission.....the guy said....."Oh...you charge to get in?" I guess he thought our lights...building...insurance.....staff etc.....were all free to us. I actually asked him if his coffee was free next door.....he just kinda looked at me. My point......we get to choose how/where we spend our money and I still like camping so I am going when I can.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:08 AM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
This ought to be interesting as we gear up for a 8,000 mile trip out to Chilliwack, then Osoyoos, down to California before returning home with the new E19! Let the fun begin....
Old 05-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #32

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
This ought to be interesting as we gear up for a 8,000 mile trip out to Chilliwack, then Osoyoos, down to California before returning home with the new E19! Let the fun begin....
Hopefully the weather warms up for you Jim its been cool and wet for the past couple of months, I camp at the RV campground near the Escape place have seen many happy folks overnight after picking their new units up.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:08 PM   #33

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
[QUOTE=AlanKilian;840822]We just completed our first trip this year.

Your 13 ft, is hardly a load on the road. Larger/heavier trailers with more wind resistant will show even greater differences with higher speeds.
So, as you say, slower saves gas. BUt you gotta keep up with traffic. OR stay off the interstates. take the slow roads, enjoy the view - and hardly any traffic.
Here in the Midwest and west, you can drive for miles and not see another car.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:09 PM   #34

Name: Mark
Trailer: Casita
New York
Returning back to the original question: How will high fuel prices affect your camping plans? In my case my plans will change very little. I do not like paying more for the same gallon of gas, however I try to keep things in prospective. Camping and travel is recreation. It has costs, no different from a round of golf at a great course, good seats at a professional sporting event or Broadway show. I don't golf or attend pro sports. Like many others I worked and stretched my dollars during my early years to be financially comfortable enough to have a Casita to enjoy in retirement. I will shop for the best fuel price, watch my speed and tire pressures, think twice about impulse purchases on the road. I make my own meals and brew my coffee rather than purchase them on the road. That makes a substantial difference in my total daily expenses on the road. The high cost of fuel is a pain, but not something that will ruin my recreational experience. Safe travels to everyone this season.
Closed Thread