how will I start a fire? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Maybe with his clothes......thats what I should have said
Invited a friend to go camping with her two kids, myself and my kid. She was very excited but I know she has grand ideas with little follow thru (more of a 4 star hotel kinda gal). So I called the next day and said "well are we going to go?"
Her: yea I talked to my husband about that and he was really worried!
Me: oh yea don't worry my trailer locks, were going to a safe campground that I am familiar with...blah blah blah
her: (still hesitating) well he asked how are we going to start a fire?
me: (baffled) ummmm with wood, matches, newspaper...he knows I camp weekly right?
her: yea he really doesn't like the idea
me: ummm okay well if thats your reason for not going, but at lease tell your husband I know how to start a fire..( grrrrrrrr)
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
1. Before starting any campfire, check to be sure that campfires are permitted at your campsite.
2. Where it's permitted, gather wood for your campfire. You want to collect everything from dry leaves and twigs, to small sticks and branches up to 2-4 inches in diameter.
3. If a fire ring is not already available, clear an area that's away from any trees or brush. A circle of rocks will help contain the campfire's ashes.
4. Place a small pile of dry leaves and twigs in the center of the fire ring.
5. Build a tepee of small sticks around these dry leaves and twigs.
6. Next, build a square wall of larger sticks around, and up to the height of, the tepee.
7. Place more sticks across the walls so as to cover the tepee.
8. Add another wall of larger branches, but do not cover the top.
9. Drop a match or two into the dry leaves and twigs until they catch fire.
10. As the fire begins to grow, add some larger branches across the top, being careful not to collapse the existing walls of the fire.
11. Continue to add larger branches and pieces of wood to keep the campfire going.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just take 1 boy scout and 1 girl scout and rub them together and you'll start a fire.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oh dear, he's afraid you won't be able to start a fire and then you'll all freeze to death out in the wilderness?

Maybe its time for silly responses instead of trying to be serious....

"No problem, I bring a flamethrower for those occasions when matches don't work"
"We'll start a fire at home and then carefully guard it all the way to the campground."
"Fire? We don't need no stinkin' fire! We eat our s'mores RAW when we're in the wilderness."

--Lynne
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
RAW s'mores?

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Wow....

Sounds like there are more issues with the husband than how to start a campfire...

Maybe he was upset that he wasn't invited....I have a friend who's husband can't stand it that I'd like just 'girl time' and not take the husbands along sometimes...I guess I revert back to my college days of sitting around the livingroom in our apartment talking about 'boys' doing some "he said/she said" talk over a bowl of ice cream...You know, meaningless conversation but 'girl time'.

Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Just bring your Flamethrower

Click image for larger version

Name:	flamethrower.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	15321

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Maybe the solution would be to have Brandy give a workshop on fire building at the next gathering, videotape it and then have it as documented proof that she has the capablities needed...........
Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Kevin...

Please read this thread

Advise columns

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Maybe he is really afraid that she will learn how to "start a fire" and he ego would be turned to ashes. I don't know who is the bigger her or him.
Veda Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I occassionally get comments like:
  • "Surely you aren't going BY YOURSELF are you?"
  • "Aren't you afraid to travel THAT FAR??" (followed by the first question)
  • "You are, at least, taking your dogs with you, right?" (right, my scaredy-cat greyhounds!!)
  • "You won't go off hiking by yourself now will you?" (isn't that the point?)

I keep these comments in mind when I'm bemoaning the fact that I no longer backpack in bear country or ocean kayak during the storm season and am thinking I'm quite the pampered camper for having a bathroom and a kitchen and a locking door while camping in a ranger-patrolled state park minutes from the nearest town.

I've learned to take those comments in stride and congratulate myself on how incredibly "brave" and "adventurous" I am.

I may not be the outdoorswoman that I used to be - but there are still a whole lot of urban folks who consider making a simple campfire or hooking up a trailer to be the height of pioneering.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
LOL, we showed Brandy the safest way to 'do' a fire this last weekend!!

P.S. Brandy, I got your Disco Ball Spinner!!
Now we need to see how to trip that light fantastic, LOL!!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Had a great time visiting you and the [b]THE TRAILER GODESS Get ready to disco in Langly...I'll bring the music and the disco ball. Thanks for showing me how to light a fire "the real manly way"

Quote:
LOL, we showed Brandy the safest way to 'do' a fire this last weekend!!

P.S. Brandy, I got your Disco Ball Spinner!!
Now we need to see how to trip that light fantastic, LOL!!!!!!
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:01 AM   #15

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I've got two basic approaches based on circumstances. I've had to change what I do in the last few years because of the Emerald Ash Borer problem around here (we can no longer pack in wood of any kind). You're forced to buy wood from the camp stores - and that all comes as big logs. No kindling...

Anyway, Method one:
Homemade firestarters - These are handy even WITH kindling! Anyway, take some cardboard egg cartons (plastic would work, just stink), and stuff them full of dryer lint. Compact it in and fill each egg slot as full as you can get it. Next, melt some paraffin wax (canning isle of the grocery store) and pour it into the wells so it impregnates the lint. When it all cools down, break the carton up into blocks. They light very easily and will burn fairly hot and long. I've used them with good success to directly get the big logs from the store going.

Method two:
Cheater juice - We also bring a charcoal grill when we're camping (Use it mostly for steaks, but it's also good back-up if something's wrong with the fire). Anyway - lighter fluid works on wood as well as charcoal. I just give the logs a VERY liberal dose and - FOOM!
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
1. Before starting any campfire, check to be sure that campfires are permitted at your campsite.
2. Where it's permitted, gather wood for your campfire. You want to collect everything from dry leaves and twigs, to small sticks and branches up to 2-4 inches in diameter.
3. If a fire ring is not already available, clear an area that's away from any trees or brush. A circle of rocks will help contain the campfire's ashes.
4. Place a small pile of dry leaves and twigs in the center of the fire ring.
5. Build a tepee of small sticks around these dry leaves and twigs.
6. Next, build a square wall of larger sticks around, and up to the height of, the tepee.
7. Place more sticks across the walls so as to cover the tepee.
8. Add another wall of larger branches, but do not cover the top.
9. Drop a match or two into the dry leaves and twigs until they catch fire.
10. As the fire begins to grow, add some larger branches across the top, being careful not to collapse the existing walls of the fire.
11. Continue to add larger branches and pieces of wood to keep the campfire going.

Here In New Hampshire where it has rained 99%of this summer, and working as a campground host I have lit many of fires.
Other campers come by and see my 3 foot blaze and will buy some of the wood we have for sale then, when I'm doing a walk-around I will see them sitting under a camopy sulking...some even come out to the road and complain that the wood is no good so I will spend 15 or 20 minutes with them and show them how to get a fire going.
In the square fire-pits I find the log cabin design works best as the wind comes in from the front.
2 logs faceing front to back
One thin stick across the front on top
Now the key...find some paper Birch and strip this down to thin layers on bottom. 8" by 8" should be enough use half.
Place small twigs down from front stick down over birch on an angle then another stick on back over back.
Place larger twigs inbetween front and back sticks then lay sticks again front to back over all as a roof but you gotta let the flames get out so do not make it too tight.
Now take other half of Birch bark and slide, do not peel then thin but strip then into 4" by 1/2" stips and hang them from the sticks down onto the ones on bottom.
Place bigger sticks on top.
Light the bottom paper thin pieces of Birch and you'll get a fire even in wet weather.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #17

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Just rub a stick together.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #18

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Cheater juice - We also bring a charcoal grill when we're camping (Use it mostly for steaks, but it's also good back-up if something's wrong with the fire). Anyway - lighter fluid works on wood as well as charcoal. I just give the logs a VERY liberal dose and - FOOM!
Mike. How fast can you run? Or are you the guy in camp with no eyebrows?
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
If it doesn't have an "Insta-Start" button on it, I don't bring it... -
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
OK, this thread wasn't about making a fire... but...

If you use a charcoal BBQ, you can also use the coals to start your fire.

I toss a handful of the pre soaked ones in a small paper bag, stack my kindling and set the bag on fire... follow all other fire making rules after.

but... this thread isn't about how to make a fire...

BUT..

You could print this thread out and show it to your friends hubby and say "See? I have had fire making lessons from the Guys"

That should do it...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote