Howdy! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2006, 01:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Hello All,

Just wanted to say Hi. I have been lurking here for a couple of months. Joined at the end of February and my wife and I just bought a 1977 Scamp. We pick it up on Saturday. We plan on breaking it in, along with our 8 year old son, with a six week trip through the western U.S. this summer.

Are we being a bit ambitious?
Maybe even crazy.
Will we have fun?

I wanted to add that I have been impressed with the helpful and courteous tone in the forums.
Chris Seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Hay Chris...in case you haven't noticed, ya can't get a whole lot further WEST in the U.S. than where you are now. PLEASE keep us posted as to your touring plans, maybe some one in our group can manage a hook up with you and your family???
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:00 AM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Hi and welcome to the forum! To answer your questions: Probably not, not likely, and without a doubt. Sounds like fun to me, but I'd like to make a suggestion based on personal experience: Plan a couple of short (2-3 days) trips close to home first as part of the break-in process, because it is likely you will be brimming with ideas to make the trailer work better for your personal needs. You will then be able to implement the changes very conveniently. Even our new trailer needed to be customized. Enjoy!
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi and welcome to the forum! To answer your questions: Probably not, not likely, and without a doubt. Sounds like fun to me, but I'd like to make a suggestion based on personal experience: Plan a couple of short (2-3 days) trips close to home first as part of the break-in process, because it is likely you will be brimming with ideas to make the trailer work better for your personal needs. You will then be able to implement the changes very conveniently. Even our new trailer needed to be customized. Enjoy!
Thanks for the advice. A couple of short trips is on the definite "to do" list.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 84 Scamp 13 ft
Hi and welcome, Chris. We, too, are new to the forum and to the whole concept of traveling via these little tiny camper trailers (only tent-camped very infrequently up till now). We got ours about a month ago - it had been sitting in a field for a number of years with the roof hatch missing. While we expected to find everything inside totally decrepit, to our surprise the only real problem was floor rot way back under the table. An interior coat of paint, new table, one new cabinet door and laundering the cushions got it back to hospitable inside, and my husband's been adding lighting and power options while we wait for warmer weather here in NY. We'll be posting some pictures soon.

What kind of shape is your '77 in? I guess I totally agree that doing a couple weekend trips before your big adventure is a good idea, and that's what we plan to do before we start our trip through the southern states in late August.

Congratulations on your acquisition and on finding this great bunch of people~Lynne
jefflynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How cool for the entire family! A great way to make memories too, I just came across this poem and it seems perfect for you

Make a memory with your children,
Spend some time to show you care;
Toys and trinkets can't replace those
precious moments that you share.

Money doesn't buy real pleasure,
It doesn't matter where you live;
Children need your own attention,
Something only you can give.

Childhood's days pass all too quickly,
Happy memories all too few;
Plan to do that special something
Take the time to go or do.

Make a memory with your children,
Take the time in busy days;
Have some fun while they are growing,
Show your love in gentle ways.

- Elaine Hardt -

See if the Oregon Gathering fits into your travel plans. As Jacqie G. says "it's at the end of the rainbow."

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Welcome Chris
This is a nice Forum, helpful , friendly bunch, Members helped us find our 5th wheel after
showing there own to us. Enjoy.
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
welcome Chris we need photos lots of photos Welcome again have funn.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #9

Thanks everyone. I'll post some photos soon.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Congrats on your "new to you" Scamp! Many happy camping trips in the future! Have fun and enjoy!!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome to the fiberglass family, Chris and family! (And a belated welcome to you, too, Jeff! ) I don't think you're nuts for wanting to take an 8-week trip. As someone once said on this forum, "only take long trips in these little trailers with someone you REALLY like."

You might want to think about getting a screened porch-type tent to use as extra family space. Make sure to take along a bicycle for your son... for the two of you, too, if you can fit them on somewhere. The bicycle will give your son some space and independence.

And like Donna D. said, check out the Oregon Gathering to see if its timing works into your schedule. If you are even considering attending it, I would suggest you make reservations now. You can always cancel them later (or we can help you find others to take your site). But, if you wait too long, there won't be any sites available. (There are 106 sites reserved for the Gathering already.)

Again, welcome!
Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote