HydroFlame propane furnace 'issues' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2023 Scout Olympic
Washington
HydroFlame propane furnace 'issues'

Hi All,

We have a (factory installed) HydroFlame propane heating unit in our '91 Bigfoot C-8. This past winter, it started squealing like a banshee whenever it kicks on (even my husband couldn't sleep through it). After some research, we figured, it being 30 years old, it's just on its way out...it had a good run.

We planned on buying a little generator to run a ceramic heater (among other things) but never got around to it, now that the weather is getting a bit warmer (and we've spent the Honda generator stash on other things) we probably won't make that purchase until the fall.

Buuuut.....we just planned a last-minute wedding anniversary camping/fishing trip in the Cascades of Central Oregon, where temps will be hovering around freezing at night. So, it looks like the banshee will have a final hoo-rah.

My question is: Does anyone have any advice/recommendations to limp this this along for one final weekend trip? Can we grease or tighten or whack on anything? The 'squeal' sounds like a belt slipping in a car (if that helps).

Thanks for any advice!...We may just end up bringing lots of extra blankets
Shannon V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I have to laugh as when we first got our 79 Boler, years ago, our first night out in it, camping at sister in-laws yard, the furnace when turned on started to squeel so loud it, I was afraid it was going to wake them in the house.
I knew it had to be the fan so not thinking i had some DW40 and sprayed some down the center into the motor and Wow.... it stopped but once the heat came on the oil started to burn off and filled the camper with a blue haze.
we opened the windows and got most the smoke out and it worked fine after that
After years of use I did replace the furnace with an exact match I found at a small dealer in the area.
Just brought a smile on my face.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I have to laugh as when we first got our 79 Boler, years ago, our first night out in it, camping at sister in-laws yard, the furnace when turned on started to squeel so loud it, I was afraid it was going to wake them in the house.
I knew it had to be the fan so not thinking i had some DW40 and sprayed some down the center into the motor and Wow.... it stopped but once the heat came on the oil started to burn off and filled the camper with a blue haze.
we opened the windows and got most the smoke out and it worked fine after that
After years of use I did replace the furnace with an exact match I found at a small dealer in the area.
Just brought a smile on my face.
Thanks for the story, Gerry! That gave us a laugh! Ours is so loud, too, that I'm worried it'll wake up anyone camping nearby!
Old 04-29-2021, 07:13 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
Just a quick search, but with your model number you should be able to find the blower motor. it will give you an idea of cost for parts to repair, or points to lube on the motor

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...ii-tune-up-kit
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #5

Washington
Thanks for your response, Tom. I located the model number and have found the installation manual on a couple of different sites. I'll check out blower motor parts, as the sound seems to be originating there. Thanks, again!
Old 04-29-2021, 12:50 PM   #6

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Shannon I have an Atwood furnace, with the unit in place , I remove a plywood panel under the sink, I can access the side of furnace and remove a round cover on the side of the furnace housing. The fan is now exposed, I push on the exposed center of the fan while it is running, I use a wooden stick, (spoon). The fan is on the outboard part of the motor shaft. Pushing on the shaft moves it slightly, and the fan squealing sound quiets. I guess the armature is moved against the motor brushes, and it forms a new wear spot on the brushes. ??? This is just a band aid fix. I have done this just twice in 10 years. It squeals a little when it starts now, when the heat begins in quiets down, sounds like new.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #7

Utah
My Atwood is a hydro flame.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:37 PM   #8

Washington
Thanks, Kenny! Going on one of the previous posts, I was in the process of trying to remove the unit to access the blower motor to see if anything looks like it could be tightened or lubed. This started out easy until I realized I needed to detach the gas line in order to slide the entire unit out...the gas line attachment was not budging. This is when I saw your post, so I got excited and removed the panel under the sink, only to find I could not access the unit from that side. Also, the model number of the furnace is HF 8012, and according to the diagram, the fan blower motor is on the opposite side of the unit than the sink So...if I can get this gas fitting loosened, I should be able to slide the whole thing out and try out your 'band-aid' fix (which is what I'm looking for). Thanks for your reply!
Old 04-29-2021, 05:41 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When you get there, you'll probably find the motor has a "lifetime lubricated, sealed bearing", and the whole motor will need to be replaced.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #10

Washington
Thanks for the warning, Glenn! I'm kind of assuming that'll be the case, but hoping not because every place I've checked (online) says that the blower motor for this particular model is 'unavailable'. We'll see!
Old 04-30-2021, 06:17 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
That Hydro Flame 8012 has one great feature: it apparently only draws 1.6 amps. New RV furnaces draw 4 amps.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #12

Washington
Thanks, John, good to know! Apparently, while the original part is no longer being made, there is an updated model of the blower motor that, according to another thread here, will 'bolt right in'. It's $60 on Amazon, so I think we're going to go for it.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Of course, the replacement motor may have different current draw. You probably don't care as long as its quieter.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #14

Utah
Shannon how did you make your match ? I found half a dozen different motors there is also HF8012ii. perfect measuring critical.

Later Kenny

Tags
furnace, propane