Hymer Touring Clone Coming - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Hymer Touring Clone Coming

Oh my goodness you guys! The press release is stone cold: “Through its experience building fiberglass trailer bodies for an Erwin Hymer project...”

www.laircamper.com
Chitown Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #2

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
Wow that thing is sexy![emoji8]
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Looks like Sicard RV in Ontario still has one or two Hymer's available. Similar, although the specifications are a little different.
This one is basically a shell but might be good for someone who wants to create their own interior. US dollars would be even less!
Attached Thumbnails
Hymer shell.JPG  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #4

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
That's a good looking trailer! I like what they've done with the pop top (both the windows and the way it seals down over the rear) and the layout vs. the Hymer. Our king bed is nice, but I sure wish we had a bigger refrigerator. And the A-frame should be a major improvement over the pole tongue of the Hymer.

Mostly I'm stoked for a source of replacement parts for our Hymer!
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
I’m curious to see what they changed to make it lighter than the Hymer. A-frame sounds like it would add weight unless it’s aluminum. Also looking forward to seeing how they mount they optional solar panels. That’s probably the reason they switched to a motorized lift for the pop top – so the extra weight on the top doesn’t overwhelm the springs.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
It says full on bathroom but what does that mean? No mention of a black tank, which is suspicious. So far just an interesting concept.

Walt
Old 09-30-2019, 11:48 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
I assume it uses the same Thetford cassette toilet as the Hymer version.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:24 AM   #8

SW Virginia
Yeah, that would be a show stopper for me. And no shower? No thanks.

Walt
Old 10-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #9

Name: Naomi
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Hymer Touring Clone Coming

Their Instagram shows a wetbath, all euro-sleek. So I’d guess it’d have to be a cassette toilet with no black tank listed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2823.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	131694
Chitown Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Yeah, that would be a show stopper for me. And no shower? No thanks.

Walt
There is a shower. And have you ever used a cassette toilet? They are all the rage in Class B motorhomes and I've seen them advertised in truck camper specs as well. Very popular in Europe where (I'm told) the infrastructure camping-wise isn't built with black tanks in mind. I guess it depends on your camping style, but for short trips I find it incredibly convenient. I can dump it at the dump station; I can dump it in the campground bathroom; I can dump it in a pit toilet; I can dump it at a rest area; I can even take it home and dump it down my own toilet. With the addition of a cap of enzyme-based odor control/waste breakdown solution at the start of each trip, we've had no issue with smell. The one downside is the five gallon capacity. We try to keep it reserved for emergencies and night time for this reason, and minimize water used during flushing.

The Thetford one used in the Hymer Touring GT is nice because it gets its flush water from the trailer's fresh water tank. Some cassette toilets have their own water tank and I think I would get tired of filling up a separate tank each trip. The Touring GT's bathroom has other design issues, but it looks like L'air has tried to alleviate that by using a curved door and reorienting the toilet. I'd give it a try.

I'm not saying cassette toilets are right for everyone; if you frequent campgrounds with full hookups, or stay in a remote location for an extended period, then a larger black tank may be warranted. But cassette toilets tend to be dismissed outright just because they aren't what we are accustomed to. When we were researching our trailer I almost backed out because of the cassette toilet, but I did some research and decided to give it a try and it has worked out well so far.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Signs in the pit toilet at a forest service camp that I frequent forbid dumping.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #12

SW Virginia
Okay, shower, check. And you do make a good case for the cassette with onboard water. But the 5 gal capacity could be a problem. I look forward to more detail and actually seeing one.

Walt
Old 10-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #13

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Their concept models were at the 2016 RVIA show. They were still attempting to get into the North America market, the main delay due to systems/wiring conversion from a Euro-built standard trailer.

It is a cute/sexy Euro travel trailer, I just haven't followed up with them since early 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4474.jpg   IMG_4475.jpg  

Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hymer NA went bankrupt. If I’ve understood the press release and other information correctly, L’air Camper Co. is using the Touring GT molds for their own camper. Seems like they were building the shells for Hymer NA.

If that’s correct, it’s deja-vu. That’s pretty much how Scamp came about.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hymer NA went bankrupt. If I’ve understood the press release and other information correctly, L’air Camper Co. is using the Touring GT molds for their own camper. Seems like they were building the shells for Hymer NA.

If that’s correct, it’s deja-vu. That’s pretty much how Scamp came about.
On the Facebook group, someone noted that the phone number listed on L'Air's website is the same phone number as a pool place: Imagine Fiberglass Pools - Fiberglass Pools Made in Kitchener, Ontario. Makes sense that Hymer may have sourced the shells from them as they already have the experience working with fiberglass, and they were located in Kitchener along with one of the Hymer plants. I believe Lil' Snoozy at one point sourced molds from a pool place. Anyway, the poster noted that the place has had a Hymer shell parked out front for awhile. (The latest Google street view is from 2017, so it doesn't show up there.)

There are some differences in overall height of their design, as well as the way the roof seals over the top shell. If they are using the original molds, they've been modified. No doubt they used their experience collaborating with Hymer NA. I have to wonder if they were approached by a former Hymer employee or two who believed in the design.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Signs in the pit toilet at a forest service camp that I frequent forbid dumping.
That is ridiculous. Where else are we supposed to take a dump?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have a cassette toilet in our lil Snoozy. We just came home from a 7200 mile trip around the country. I dumped the cassette every couple to three days. There was never a problem. This is a very convenient system . Simple and effective and it eliminates most of the big drain pipes on the trailer.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote