Hyundai and Kia recall - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 12:26 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Hyundai and Kia recall

Took my buddy some six months to get the engine fixed in his Hyundai Santa Fe.

And, now this:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...alls-1.5382373
Here's a picture of his service vehicle, which the dealer finally equipped for towing, so he could use his camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Loaner.jpg  
Old 12-09-2019, 12:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
They spent a lot of effort to put their product in a good light,, now they shoot themselves in the foot!
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Where are the class-action lawsuits?

My old 2000 Toyota 3.0L and my current 2011 Honda 3.5L were both involved in major class-action lawsuits over engine failures, resulting in warranty extensions and reimbursements for prior out-of-pocket repairs.

I did not personally experience issues with either engine. Knocking on wood in the case of the Honda, since the 8-year, unlimited mileage warranty extension on the VCM system expired this past June. I did receive warranted suspension repair on the Honda at 98K miles, covered under under a separate class-action suit. I was proactive on that one and had my independent mechanic inspect the affected parts just before the warranty was due to expire. They were failing and Honda did the repair without fuss.

I take issue with one man’s suggestion in the linked article that it was not his responsibility to keep records of routine maintenance. If not the owner, then who?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I take issue with one man’s suggestion in the linked article that it was not his responsibility to keep records of routine maintenance. If not the owner, then who?

My RAV4 has had every scheduled service since I bought it new. The dealership has a record, but so do I. I found keeping those records was of value to me and assuring to the guy who bought my previous vehicle. Made the sale just that much easier.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #5

Name: William
Trailer: 13' Perris Pacer
California
Quote from CBC article: "The company says he changed his oil every 20,000 kilometres instead of every 12,000 as required by the manual."

According to Hyundai's online website" (https://www.hyundaiusa.com/maintenan...ule/index.aspx)

For severe service (towing), oil changes should be performed every 3,000 miles, or every 4828 km.

20,000 km. between oil changes is a lot farther than 5,000 km. Shame on the owner!

His infrequent oil changes doesn't explain the failure of the second engine, but a used engine is still a used engine. Seems like a warranty would have been included on the used replacement engine he purchased. If not, shame on the buyer!
mchalewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hyundai and Kia recall

Actually it was Hyundai (“the company”) that stated he only changed the oil every 20K km. The owner seemed to be saying he did not keep all the receipts. Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t, but without documentation, you’re in a vulnerable position.

Better across-the-board reliability for all brands has made people complacent about maintenance and record-keeping, but longer warranties make both more necessary than ever. Every manufacturer has had its issues, and if you get caught in one, records are crucial

I remember when the sludge issue with Toyota’s 3.0L V6 was just coming out. Lots of very similar stories. Toyota blamed it on lack of maintenance. Lots of folks initially got stuck with big repair bills because they couldn’t prove that required service had been done. It took enough owners armed with service records and a team of lawyers to get a settlement from Toyota.

It was never recalled because there was no highway safety issue, just premature excessive oil consumption.

That’s when I started keeping a binder on every vehicle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: looking
Oregon
metric/english

As I remember after having lived in Germany for 3 years, 20,000km is just about the same as 12 miles!
I dive my Kia Sedona less than 10k per year doing light duty, however, I still change my oil every 3k or 3 months, cheapest insurance you can have for a long life.
I bought this 2nd Sedona after having put 10 years and 100,000miles on my old one. It was still running great, but at 10k miles/10 year, the engine train warranty runs out. So far, I have absolutely had no trouble on 14 years of KIA'S.
ordjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #8

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
warantees??

3K miles is the way to go on oil, esp if towing. ..always has been for me. I have had a buncha vehicles over the years..longest one was a 14 yr old Jeep Cherokee I sold at 149,000 miles. a couple batteries, 2 O2 sensors, 6 spark plugs and 3 sets of tires in 14 years. Have 100,000mi, 10yr war on the 2014 Hyundai Accent..they gave me a new 2016 Ram 4dr truck for a month bks they could not get a AC compressor! The 2017 Frontier has same warrantee.. hope it lasts!
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
everyone I know with a Hyundai/Kia sold it at the end of the factory warranty.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The engine on my brothers Hyundai Santa Fe failed shortly after the warranty ended so he went out and bought a new Hyundai Santa Fe to replace it
I have no explanation why but he always has been a glutton for punishment .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #11

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Those Korean cars have no pedigree. Wouldn't ever buy one.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #12

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I have no experience with either make, but I have little faith in the honesty of any auto manufacturer, or their dealer service network.

I had a Corvette that experienced a steering lockout problem, which cost me $400 to have fixed at the dealer. I found out later that the same exact problem on my exact vehicle was subject to a recall, but unfortunately I didn't find out until after I no longer owned the vehicle. I never got a recall notice, but a previous owner may have gotten one and ignored it. Did the dealership rip me off? I think so, but can't I prove it. Now I check for recalls online just in case.

As for oil changes, my dad used to say: Oil is cheaper than metal.

And, it's been my experience that a great many mechanical failures can be avoided with proper lubrication.

Just my 2 cents.

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:16 PM   #13

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Harold, I concur with you 100%. As a mechanical engineer I know that all things mechanical and electrical.......WILL FAIL. It's simply a matter of when. Proper maintenence pushes that failure point futher ahead in time.
BTW, most any modern car shop repair starts at $200..... $100 for the part, and $100 labor. The $400 you paid on the Corvette is peanuts.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #14

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
... The $400 you paid on the Corvette is peanuts.
Not that it makes much difference, but that was over ten years ago....
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote