I-40 at the Mississippi river - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I-40 at the Mississippi river

Cameras installed to track I-40 bridge repairs, I-55 bridge traffic

https://www.truckersnews.com/news/ar...916A8521089G2V
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I think this is what the second or third major bridge that has failed in the last few years? Along I-96 if you look at the overpass bridge support columns you will often see a steal I beam laid in along side it to help support the overpass as the columns are too decrepit to support the weight any more.

When all those finally have to be replaced or just shut down the road over the interstate it will create a heck of a mess for travel here in Michigan. Much of Michigan's west coast gets accessed from I-96 I don't expect other bridges of same vintage are any better in other areas of the state. Exception might be in some urban areas where highway expansion has caused overpasses to be rebuilt more recently.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The corruption isn't just in the materials.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I think this is what the second or third major bridge that has failed in the last few years? Along I-96 if you look at the overpass bridge support columns you will often see a steal I beam laid in along side it to help support the overpass as the columns are too decrepit to support the weight any more..
Years ago on I-94 in western wisconsin one bridge was marked "trucks use left lane" if you went under it you found a cribbing of rail road ties holding up the right lane.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Bridge failures, bad roads, failed sewers leaking into our streams killing fish and wildlife, clean water systems for everyone, these calamities and deficiencies are evidence that we should be spending at least it 10 trillion dollars (American) on genuine infrastructure every years until we get caught up and whatever it takes to maintain and construct new from there. Not political, it’s the American thing to do.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I would like to point out that when we built all of this infrastructure (Eisenhower Interstate system, most water and sewer, etc.) the nominal income tax rate for the top tier was 90%. Just saying...
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #7

Iowa
Highways

Yes.
In my home town we had a small city park dedicated
to a governor who championed the construction of the Lincoln Highway through Iowa. The plaque mentions
Eisenhower’s early army days when he was involved in moving military equipment across the country. The mud roads impressed him and planted the seed for the Lincoln Highway “seedling miles”. Later the concept of the interstate system. My cousins daughter Mary Helen Preston is the current president of the Iowa Lincoln Highway Association.
Here’s her Lincoln Highway filling station that’s she’s restoring.
Iowa Dave .
Attached Thumbnails
D9CCACF5-D546-4A03-9E73-7EBFA4C66D74.jpg   6B60718C-6507-4023-BA8F-1B969C5B9303.jpg  

Old 07-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
That is really cool Dave. One of the things I want to do after I retire (2 years, 11 months and 8 days but who's counting) is to travel the entire length of the Lincoln highway. I won't be dragging the trailer to Times Square for the start though I'll take public transport from there to New Jersey and start with the trailer there.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #9

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
We were just there in May

Just saw the news about I-40. I think they found the problem on May 11 and we had just crossed that bridge coming back from the west on May 10!

Thanks for all the comments. As a former safety professional, redundancy in human oversight is totally necessary. I saw drone pictures of the crack from I think 2 years ago. Somebody other than the drone should have seen those pictures, or maybe they did? Unbelievable. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Susan
SusanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #10

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
Has anyone else gone to the I-55 optional bridge cam and seen how much it (the camera)shakes?
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalywag View Post
Has anyone else gone to the I-55 optional bridge cam and seen how much it (the camera)shakes?

All bridges shake from the traffic passing over them. If you place a camera on a tripod or attach it to the structure, it vibrates. You have to hand-hold the camera so that your body absorbs the motion.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #12

Iowa
A friend of mine installed a game camera at the edge of a filed to monitor deer passing by. About 6 feet out was a large mature head of giant foxtail weed. He left the camera about a week. The weather had been nice with alight breeze about every day. He pulled the SD card, 5500 images of that foxtail blowing in the wind.
Everything moves a little bit, even big trees sway when you’re up in them .
Iowa Dave
Old 07-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Most of you have no doubt seen the classic bridge collapse video (which was originally film)... They don't build em like that anymore.. (Thank goodness).

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I would like to point out that when we built all of this infrastructure (Eisenhower Interstate system, most water and sewer, etc.) the nominal income tax rate for the top tier was 90%. Just saying...
No doubt you are aware of this, but the real rate the wealthy paid was much lower, averaged 21%. Back then, there were endless number of tax loopholes. The higher the rate, the harder people work to find those loopholes.

The average rate the wealthy actually pay NOW is almost exactly the same as what they paid back in the 1950s.

These loopholes are created by congress, and they still refuse to eliminate the largest one, that is enjoyed by the real estate industry. Thus, truly wealthy people that are in the real estate business often pay NOTHING (think Trump as just one example).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:27 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
... (think Trump as just one example).
Skating on the edge here people.. lets not get the mods involved. Please leave politics at home (including any hint of politics).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #16

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
In December 1965 my family moved from Spokane Washington to Ravenswood West Virginia. My father took over operations at the Kaiser Aluminum facility on the Ohio River in Ravenswood.

On our moving trip DRIVING to Ravenswood from Spokane for the first time we had to cross the Ohio River on the Silver Bridge in Pt. Pleasant West Virginia. As a young 7 year old I distinctly remember my mother commenting when crossing that bridge say "This bridge sways badly and is not safe. Do you feel it?". We never crossed that bridge again due to her insistence that the bridge was not safe.

Low and behold on December 17th 1967 just 2 years after our first and last crossing of the Ohio River on the Silver Bridge that same Silver Bridge collapsed into the Ohio River resulting in the loss of 46 lives.

Never doubt "Yo Momma"!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Bridge

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
Alternative

The governor of TN has a solution for highway infrastructure problems, fly them in.
“Through the “Tennessee On Me'' campaign, promoted with country singer Brad Paisley, the state government will pay up to $250 each for 10,000 flight vouchers for tourists, totaling $2.5 million.”
HaroldB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Yes.
In my home town we had a small city park dedicated
to a governor who championed the construction of the Lincoln Highway through Iowa. The plaque mentions
Eisenhower’s early army days when he was involved in moving military equipment across the country. The mud roads impressed him and planted the seed for the Lincoln Highway “seedling miles”. Later the concept of the interstate system. My cousins daughter Mary Helen Preston is the current president of the Iowa Lincoln Highway Association.
Here’s her Lincoln Highway filling station that’s she’s restoring.
Iowa Dave .
Hi: Iowa Dave... I just want a "Lincoln". If I had one then I'd probably need a "Filling station"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:49 AM   #19

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
I just did a quick trip from North Carolina to Arkansas and back this weekend and took the Hwy55 bridge. Old, but serviceable, but I very much look forward to the I-40 bridge being repaired as it will shave off all that extra time. Make sure your GPS is up to date because there is ONE sign that warns of the I-40 bridge closure!
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: Cruiser RV
Mustang
May 2002 bridge collapsed at Weber Falls and I-40. Killing 14 people who couldn’t stop in time. Collapse was caused by a barge hitting support. Included in deaths was a truck pulling a horse trailer with horses. Not all is caused by decrepit construction
Okie Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote