I-70 and Tornado and traveling through Kansas this time of year - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
I-70 and Tornado and traveling through Kansas this time of year

My wife wants to go that way when we leave tomorrow but is worried about Tornados crossing her path I have to assume it will be a 2-3 day travel to Kansas City area? If we go what are the places one should be visiting along the way, our other alternative is north to #2 as we have not be further along it than Montana where we would normally cross over into Alberta.
So can anyone give us info on Hwy 7 hopefully today as you all are more experienced in this are than we are.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
When you watch the news they almost always show a trailer that has been ripped apart by the tornado the only thing, they are always stickies so I'm thinking that only stickies are tornado magnets. I predict you and your fiberglass camper will be totally safe. Just as a precaution, keep an eye In The review mirror and if you see one coming. Speed up.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #3

British Columbia
Darwin hard to speed up when you tow a slower one behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
When you watch the news they almost always show a trailer that has been ripped apart by the tornado the only thing, they are always stickies so I'm thinking that only stickies are tornado magnets. I predict you and your fiberglass camper will be totally safe. Just as a precaution, keep an eye In The review mirror and if you see one coming. Speed up.
Most of our driving will be across so we can look south all the time it is when he sneaks up from the East then were in trouble as most of the rig hides that area.
I was hoping Tornado time was over for the year but I guess we came to early this year as we had things and places to be and do.
stude
Old 08-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
OK, I will be serious now. When you see the sky very very dark and a white patch between the dark with the white going all the way to the ground and a greenish tint I. The dark and quite a bit of movement In The dark clouds there could be a tornado brewing. The bottom line though is you are going to be safe because you will be on the road and paying attention to what is happening around you. It is the people in their homes that a tornado sneaks up on.
Have a nice trip and have fun.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Most of our driving will be across so we can look south all the time it is when he sneaks up from the East then were in trouble as most of the rig hides that area.
I was hoping Tornado time was over for the year but I guess we came to early this year as we had things and places to be and do.
stude
I was through Kansas City a few days ago and will be through again in another few days and a tornado never entered my mind. If I hear tornado sirens
though.... The season is mostly over. As Darwin says, if you see those really dark skies, pay attention. But it is not as if there are tornados all over the place. You are not likely to have a problem.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:09 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There are a lot of weather "Apps" for your mobile device as well as weather radios with SAME alerts for your areas.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Tornado's occur EVERYWHERE in the lower 48. Bad thunderstorms can mean tornado's.

Get a decent weather app and get on with the trip!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #8

Name: Outdoor Girl
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Smile Storm shelters along the Kansas turnpike

Tornado weather can happen anytime and at about any place across the United States; however, we in the Midwest usually think of tornado weather earlier in the spring-not usually in August. There are tornado shelters located at almost all of the Kansas toll plazas and service areas along the I-70 turnpike. I would suggest asking for a list or more detailed information at the toll booth as you enter I-70.
I agree a weather app and checking the weather periodically is a great suggestion.

Enjoy the ride!
vicki m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #9

British Columbia
we made in just inside Kansas to the first center truck rest stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki m. View Post
Tornado weather can happen anytime and at about any place across the United States; however, we in the Midwest usually think of tornado weather earlier in the spring-not usually in August. There are tornado shelters located at almost all of the Kansas toll plazas and service areas along the I-70 turnpike. I would suggest asking for a list or more detailed information at the toll booth as you enter I-70.
I agree a weather app and checking the weather periodically is a great suggestion.

Enjoy the ride!
: with a McD's and some kind of store and gas pumps, had dinner (Pizza) homemade now putzing on line. Reading hit sack soon as long day tomorrow as heading towards Wichita then up around Halstead area to see fellow who likes Studebaker Trucks from there to Dodge CIty to enjoy a bit of the wild west 100 years later as to when it all happened.
Stude
Old 08-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #10

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
Most of our driving will be across so we can look south all the time it is when he sneaks up from the East then were in trouble as most of the rig hides that area...stude
Most (not all) tornadoes will come out of the Southwest. Few (if any) will come from the East.

I agree with others, get a good weather app and keep an eye on it.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
Highly unlikely

I grew up in Kansas and have traveled across the state more times than I can count. While I am not saying tornadoes never happen, not once in my travels did I ever encounter a tornado while driving. As others pointed out, just keep an eye on the sky. Most tornadoes happen in the spring, so it is much less likely to have one this time of year.

And if you are in KC, be sure to stop for some of the best barbecue anywhere. Ask a local and they will give you their favorite. I would suggest Joe's, Arthur Bryant's, Gates and Son, Zarda, or Jack Stack. Do yourself a favor and get an order of burnt ends. Only rarely have I been able to find those outside of KC.

Enjoy your trip.
Smjayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote