I am concerned about tongue weight of my fiberglass trailer & need for trailer brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #1

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
I am concerned about tongue weight of my fiberglass trailer & need for trailer brakes

Is my fiberglass trailer overloading my tow vehicle with tongue weight and do you think I need trailer brakes?
Attached Thumbnails
RV-smart-car-towing-trailer-728x400.jpg  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Is my fiberglass trailer overloading my tow vehicle with tongue weight and do you think I need trailer brakes?
The the TV pictured has no tongue weight and doesn't need any, not enough info on the pup or the trailer.

Is that a European version of the Smart Car?
If so...
First it would then have a much higher tow rating.
Second, it might be DIESEL powered which means it could pull anything and last forever while getting 80MPG!
No problem with payload on the TV either since the space after two occupants is only big enough for a shaving kit and a towel.
I'm pretty sure the trailer already has brakes and taillights, but if you decide on wiring to supply power for the lights on the trailer, you may as well go for wiring in the brakes while your at it ...even though you're not sure you need them.
While you are at it be sure you run the minimum pressure (20# sounds good) on all tires for a better ride with less bounce.

Questions...
1]Do you have a transmission oil cooler, for towing through the desert or in the summer months?

2] do you plan to tow with fresh water in the holding tanks? You will probably fill the blackwater after coming down your first steep grade or going through your first high speed corner.

3] You might need some extension mirrors unless you have a rear view camera

4] Are you planning to tow with your propane on for the fridge? Some think that could be dangerous but at least shut it off for fuel stops.

5] Do you have a break away switch?

HAPPY CAMPING!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Oops might need brakes
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #4

Name: J
Isle of Wight
All looks good to me. You can tow that all day (today)
One word of caution though - be careful if you add bike to the back - that may affect the sway tendency.
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Floyd in Europe they call those tiny cars backpack cars! I saw them on the freeways crazy looking!!

one amazing things you would hear this bumblebee noise coming from way back all traffic backed up and here it would come a small motorcycle doing all it could driving between the lanes.

seems European law encouerged this type drive it was scarey to me!

bob

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
[QUOTE=k0wtz;690518]Floyd in Europe they call those tiny cars backpack cars! I saw them on the freeways crazy looking!!

one amazing things you would hear this bumblebee noise coming from way back all traffic backed up and here it would come a small motorcycle doing all it could driving between the lanes.

seems European law encouerged this type drive it was scarey to me!

-------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm surprised that no one commented on the ' Converter' or 'Jeep', as we called them in trucking . ( or Con Gear). I have seen some that are bolted to the car or pickup, so they don't need a separate license. The weight of the trailer nose is carried by the 'converter', as in the photo . So many modern cars have lots of power but insufficient suspension to 'carry' a trailer . A front-bath Scamp or casita could be towed by a smaller car !
And KOwtz, yes in Europe 'filtering' between lanes is legal and accepted. And it now legal in Calif. I have lane shared or 'filtered' on a motorcycle in
France and it has proven to be effective as well as legal. David in Fresno and Sonora. . .in in Quartzsite again last week !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG;690593[QUOTE
I'm surprised that no one commented on the ' Converter' or 'Jeep', as we called them in trucking . ( or Con Gear). I have seen some that are bolted to the car or pickup, so they don't need a separate license. The weight of the trailer nose is carried by the 'converter', as in the photo . So many modern cars have lots of power but insufficient suspension to 'carry' a trailer . A front-bath Scamp or casita could be towed by a smaller !
Notice I referred to it as a "pup"... our particular colloquial vernacular.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

Missouri
our first trip

our first trip was to England along with driving a stick and driving on the wrong side of the road the first one of those bumblebee jobs scared me to death the first time.

I had drivers on the other side almost push me into block walls I got so close one time I scratched a mirror wonder I didn't knock it off. the military road is a gas to drive on no speed limits that I saw.

now since then with the advent of cameras on the highways and towns they have slowed traffic down greatly matter of fact its better there now than here in the states for speeders.

even Italy was sane the last time we drove there!

bob
Old 04-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If anyone has watched the old movie "Long Long Trailer" with Lucy & Desi, they used a converter, or dolly, on the trailer tongue to keep the weight off the car suspension.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #10

Missouri
missed that one

bob I missed that one but I bet that trailer never left the set maybe to get it there the movie is still funny!

I put it up there with Casablanca

bob
Old 04-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Make sure you fill all tires a max pressure just in case you get it to 70 mph. you don't want the tire side walls overheating. And no you don't need extra brakes. that trailer has the factory slab front decelerator brake assist package.

You will need to add extra long curb feelers on the car or you will scratch the trailer wheels when parking.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #12

Missouri
I like curb feelers a lot!!
Old 04-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Paul got out his pocket abacus and said, "Nah, you're fine." So there you go.

A day late and a dollar short.

Kai
Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
[QUOTE=k0wtz;690598]our first trip was to England along with driving a stick and driving on the wrong side of the road the first one of those bumblebee jobs scared me to death the first time.

I had drivers on the other side almost push me into block walls I got so close one time I scratched a mirror wonder I didn't knock it off. the military road is a gas to drive on no speed limits that I saw.

now since then with the advent of cameras on the highways and towns they have slowed traffic down greatly matter of fact its better there now than here in the states for speeders.

even Italy was sane the last time we drove there
——————————————————————————————
Bob, (only a bit off subject, i’ll Mention the word ‘trailer’ ). I’ve towed a small trailer in England with a Suzuki Intruder motorcycle up to the top of Scotland, and I have ridden more powerful bikes there. You have not ‘lived’ until you have tried to keep up with a group of Brits on bikes , in the rain , on cobblestone streets, through tiny villages . . . As it starts getting dark . . . . .and you are riding on the ‘wrong’ side of the road ! ! Wonderful experiences, but NEVERMORE ! I also got to ride with a couple of bikers on their daytime Lorry routes down lanes so narrow the mirrors had to be folded in ! There are adventures and wonderful people all over the world ! Happy Trails to You ! David, back in Sonora today
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
You should be A-OK, but if you tow a boat behind that rig you should limit the boat size to 27 feet.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight, brakes