I did it, I REALLY DID IT!!!!! - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 302
Well, at 4pm today, I handed over the keys to my rental house and officially moved into my EGG! My first stop was the Superstition Mountains in the Imperial Valley. Here you literally have a vast desert of sites to chose from. You pay nothing, you just drive into the open desert and camp (dry). It is BLM land, but so few do it, they really don't patrol here. I am hoping to have pics of my first camp soon, I know they all won't be like this, but this is where I came from, so starting here again seems just right! I wish I could show you the stars and let you feel what I feel right now...I am no longer one of the "slaves", I am free! Thank you to all of you that helped me get here and a big to those of you who wish they could be!!!

(Sorry for rubbing it all in... )
__________________

Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
curtis c's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1994 Lite House
Posts: 172
boondocking on blm is super cool. my grandparents full time in blm. usually if your camp is clean they never tell you to move. Plus when they first spot you you just say that you just arrived there and you have 2 weeks before you got to move. congrats on the move!
__________________

curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
April Wilcox's Avatar
 
Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
Posts: 534
How awesome Monica! I can only imagine how good you must feel right now. I hope you have many fun adventures, and the road treats you well.
Happy trails!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,014
Registry
did you end up taking the cat?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
ronsmith100's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita
Posts: 451
Quote:
Well, at 4pm today, I handed over the keys to my rental house and officially moved into my EGG! My first stop was the Superstition Mountains in the Imperial Valley. Here you literally have a vast desert of sites to chose from. You pay nothing, you just drive into the open desert and camp (dry). It is BLM land, but so few do it, they really don't patrol here. I am hoping to have pics of my first camp soon, I know they all won't be like this, but this is where I came from, so starting here again seems just right! I wish I could show you the stars and let you feel what I feel right now...I am no longer one of the "slaves", I am free! Thank you to all of you that helped me get here and a big to those of you who wish they could be!!!

(Sorry for rubbing it all in... )
The west is full of like places. Where did I read that 90% of BLM land is in the western states?
If you get a chance this summer when it gets hotter try driving north where there are lots of places higher, cooler, and free.

The only rule the BLM uses for dispersed camping (boondocking) is don't just make a new road or clear new land. Camp were others have camped.

Message me if you want some secret spots in Southern Utah.

Ron
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Posts: 1,125
Sounds like you have a great adventure going for yourself... congrats and I hope you will enjoy the traveling from here to there or wherever the road takes you!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Posts: 335
My favorite camping spot so far is Bow Willow, which is just a little east of Superstition Mountains. It's not on BLM land but still somewhat primitive. And Monica is right. The feeling you get there is fantastic. Enjoy Monica!
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Randya's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
Posts: 157
Monica your not rubbiing it in at all! Keep us posted and enjoy! I am impressed!


Quote:
The west is full of like places. Where did I read that 90% of BLM land is in the western states?
I am sure it is, vast amounts of Alaska are BLM and 40% of Wyoming is BLM! I think Nevada hass the most acres.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Robin G's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Posts: 3,428
Randya, Yes she is! Cause we have a Blizzard nipping at the edge of town. I wanta go camping so bad................. All winter we had mild warm winter, spring comes and we get snow storm after snow storm......



Monica, Safe journey! Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
Posts: 336
Quote:
Randya, Yes she is! Cause we have a Blizzard nipping at the edge of town. I wanta go camping so bad................. All winter we had mild warm winter, spring comes and we get snow storm after snow storm......



Monica, Safe journey! Enjoy!
Amen Sister! I have 6 ft drifts in my yard!! I want spring!
Pamela H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joy A's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Posts: 1,254
Hey Monica,

Congrats on blasting off on your big adventure. Keep us posted as you meander around.

__________________
Joy A. & Olive
and "Puff", too
Fulltime
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Posts: 302
Gosh guys, did not realize how fast my battery on my laptop goes, so I am going to make this short. In a little over a week I should be heading to TX with full hookups and then I can catch up with all you guys...thanks for all the well wishes and I will be back in touch soon. I am loving this!!!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Glo
Junior Member
 
Trailer: *Love Bugger
Posts: 6
Perhaps a silly question, but, what is BLM land?

Thanks!
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 25,013
Quote:
Perhaps a silly question, but, what is BLM land?

Thanks!
[b]Bureau of [b]Land [b]Management: BLM Dot Gov, in a nutshell... public land, or land for public use.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
jaye580's Avatar
 
Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Posts: 258
Registry
Thank you Donna, I didn't know either.
__________________
Owner of 1978 Scamp named the KRAKEN
Owner of 1987 Scamp named ANBOLINN
https://www.facebook.com/Jayes-87-L-...0486405460995/
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
ZachO's Avatar
 
Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Posts: 2,029
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica M View Post
Gosh guys, did not realize how fast my battery on my laptop goes, so I am going to make this short. In a little over a week I should be heading to TX with full hookups and then I can catch up with all you guys...thanks for all the well wishes and I will be back in touch soon. I am loving this!!!
Time for an inverter and some solar! I have 90W of solar panels and a little 150W pure sine wave inverter. I'm on BLM land in southern Utah right now, and I've been running the heater in the evening and morning (been cold and windy!), using my water pump, and charging my laptop and a portable speaker. My battery is usually fully charged before noon with my solar panels. I've been in one spot 4 days now and plan to be here another 3 before heading into town to refill water and stuff.

Yep, BLM is great. It used to be the wild west still, and still is in some areas. Kind of "anything goes". But especially in southern Utah, which has been seeing a boom for the last couple decades, they're having to impose a few more rules. Still easy to camp for a long time, more or less anywhere you find a road and a fire ring.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
[b]Bureau of [b]Land [b]Management: BLM Dot Gov, in a nutshell... public land, or land for public use.
Think of BLM land as a National Forest but without all the trees! Managed by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
__________________

War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×