I have a dream... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #41
Commercial Member

Name: Derek
Trailer: Boler
California
Minicooper countryman s

Hello egg beaters!
I have been easily pulling the 1100 LB Happier Camper HC1 with a Mini Cooper Countryman.
We chose the vehicle as its small, fun and fits the brand of the Happier Camper, it says MINI in the name so i think its a good selling point. We chose to get a white one so it fits all of the HC1 color models nicely, it really is a awesome brings the trailer attention, it is a marketing vehicle for us.

The Countryman we have is the higher 181 HP "S" model with the 4x4 all wheel drive option. Im not sure on the standard models specs.
We have standard electronic breaks on the HC1 with a 7 pin connector. The car pulls the trailer incredibly easy and its really a joy to drive. I find that with the trailer i loose about 3 miles per gallon on fuel efficiency, i drive most of the time in "sport mode" it makes hills and valleys easy. The electric breaks on the HC1 work very well and i have them dialed into a setting that works with the car nicely, i would not suggest pulling a trailer with a small car without electronic breaks.

Its hard to find towing capacity in the US on several cars listed, but the same models are found globally and the Mini Countryman has towing capacity listed at a 1915Lb with a 200Lb tong weight.
This is a the hitch listed and i had it installed at my local Uhaul dealer.
The car is low to the ground, so you can bottom out on driveways, i would suggest having the 7pin receiver drilled into the rear bumper, and not underneath the bumper. In general its a good idea to not pull a trailer that is more then 1/3 the vehicles weight, the countryman is about 3800Lbs, so the HC1 1100Lbs is within that range. That said, i would not recommend using the HC1s 3500GWR to its fullest when pulling with a light weight car.

As always, use your best judgement and drive safe!
Derekmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #42

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I don't understand where the OP is coming from! I own two vehicles, a Mazda MX5 (Miata) that I love to push through corners, accelerate rapidly, break hard, and generally pound on. I use the Nissan Frontier for towing because it is designed to tow, and I can't drive like a sports car when towing. Combining a sports car as a tow vehicle seems to compromise both rolls.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #43

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe he is planning to full-time, so only one vehicle is possible. But I really think (based on the thread title) that this is really a bit of daydreaming in a "General Chat" sort of way.

And of course you are right. Tow vehicles are compromises among a variety of desirable attributes: towing performance, practicality for daily use, handling, fuel economy, reliability, low ownership cost, safety, and the elusive fun factor. He was initially thinking of a minivan, which checks most of the boxes but comes up a bit short on the fun factor, especially after you unhitch.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
I don't understand where the OP is coming from! I own two vehicles, a Mazda MX5 (Miata) that I love to push through corners, accelerate rapidly, break hard, and generally pound on. I use the Nissan Frontier for towing because it is designed to tow, and I can't drive like a sports car when towing. Combining a sports car as a tow vehicle seems to compromise both rolls.
Its about what you have to drive once you get to your destination. I would like to have my convertible in southern Florida in February, but alas, I don't want to drive it through the winter weather to get it there or really make the mods necessary for towing. Luckily I still have this...
Attached Thumbnails
july4t1.JPG  
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #45

Name: John
Trailer: Boler American
Missouri
Thumbs down Regarding "I have a dream......"

Greetings and Salutations.

I am the owner of a 1972 Boler American. Wanted this thing or something similar for quite some time since I graduated high school the same year. It is probably about 85% refurbished/remodeled but still have some work to do. For the tow vehicle I have a 2002 Mountaineer with a V-8 so there really is not any problem with that. The dream tow vehicle is something different. As a kid I had always wanted a 1968 or so El Camino. Unfortunately I could not find nor afford one "Back in the Day". So after some college and boot camp I settled on a 1979 El Camino. Loved the car but had to trade it off when I married a wonderful lady with three wonderful children. So it goes.

A few months back I found a 1980 El Camino in pretty nice shape. A thirty-footer and a daily driver BUT I am in the process of a restoration.The factory rated it with a type 2 hitch over 2,000 pounds. More along the lines of 3,000. I have the hitch and the fully loaded Boler pulls great. With the air shocks and all, I have not experienced any trouble whatsoever in regards to loading. Additionally, with a small block Chevy V-8 I have not seemed to have any problems with pulling the thing up hills or mountains or anywhere else......Of course, loaded up with the ready-to-camp Boler I get about 11 mpg and regardless I get about 13 without the trailer. Still, it pulls great and is pretty sporty. Will look good as a set when I finish painting the Boler. It ain''t a late 60's or early 70's model but a 1980 El Camino with a V-8 pulling a classic Boler ain't a bad looking combo and works great unless the roads get a little rough. Then I use the Mountaineer.

Whicn had absolutely nothing to do with a Pinto. Never owned one and never wanted to. However I did own a Vega......................which was almost as bzd a choice as that Gremlin I used to own......... However, a friend did own a Pinto that was almost unbeatable on the area (legal) drag strips. Of course, he did not have to worry much about being hit in the rear in that scenario.

I guess I am just bragging on my tow vehicle. After all, it took me about six months to find one I could afford that did not need a ton of work. . . . I will post pix when done sometime this late winter or early spring. After all, what with finishing up the Boler, the scooter to take along, and finishing the wooden kayak......... I needed something else to do.

I probably would not use a Pinto or a Gremlin or a Vega as a TV. My '64 VW would not be a choice either. However that 1969 VW Microbus did not need to pull anything at all. You could live in one of those for months at a time. Of course, that is back when I used to agree with the Furry Freak Brothers........ Drugs will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no drugs.........

At the end of the day - Chevy V-8's are Great BUT it is not a question of power....the rated towing capacities are extremely important (do not ask me how I know). And please do not flame me for the 11 mpg or whatever. My wife drives a Prius to make atonement for my sins.

It is the towing capacity (load) that is the most importan and not the power. After all, having only enough power to climb a hill at 40 mph ain't any big deal compared to not being able to control the load on the corners, the climb up, and especially the run back down. It is certainly worth considering.

Fare thee well.

Borders

"Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it annoys the pig and it is a waste of your time." Heinlein
Borders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #46

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, I can agree about lusting after an El Camino. There is a beautiful silver one in my driveway that belongs to a tenant and I get almost as many door knocks asking about "That old pick-up" as I get asking about "That old trailer" in my driveway.

My personal lust is a 57 Chevrolet Nomad with a polished out early Airstream Bambi. I've seen one such combination.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #47

Name: Louise
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
Hi All,
Tesla Motors just introduced their Model X....A SUV that can pull 5000 lbs!
"Model X is the safest, fastest and most capable sport utility vehicle in history. Standard with all-wheel drive and a 90 kWh battery providing 250 miles of range, Model X has ample seating for seven adults and all of their gear. And it’s ludicrously fast, accelerating from zero to 60 miles per hour in as quick as 3.2 seconds. "
"Stow everyone's gear in Model X's large front trunk, rear cargo area and under passenger seats. The front trunk is large enough to hold two golf bags and the rear cargo area can easily hold large items like bicycles, skis and snowboards. Hitch mounted accessory carriers hold additional gear. Model X is the first electric vehicle with a 5,000 pound towing capacity."
Of course one might have to their house to buy one!!!
Model X | Tesla Motors
fiddlesticksfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticksfl View Post
Hi All,
Tesla Motors just introduced their Model X....A SUV that can pull 5000 lbs!
"Model X is the safest, fastest and most capable sport utility vehicle in history. Standard with all-wheel drive and a 90 kWh battery providing 250 miles of range, Model X has ample seating for seven adults and all of their gear. And it’s ludicrously fast, accelerating from zero to 60 miles per hour in as quick as 3.2 seconds. "
"Stow everyone's gear in Model X's large front trunk, rear cargo area and under passenger seats. The front trunk is large enough to hold two golf bags and the rear cargo area can easily hold large items like bicycles, skis and snowboards. Hitch mounted accessory carriers hold additional gear. Model X is the first electric vehicle with a 5,000 pound towing capacity."
Of course one might have to their house to buy one!!!
Model X | Tesla Motors
What plug-in does it use? Can you charge it at the campground on 30A?
I guess Tesla can call a four door sedan an SUV,if Mercedes can call one a coupe! Babelspeak?

Old 11-11-2015, 12:10 AM   #49

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borders View Post

Whicn had absolutely nothing to do with a Pinto. Never owned one and never wanted to. However I did own a Vega...
To conflate the Vega with the Pinto profoundly insults the Pinto.

It sort of reminds me of something all Dr.Pepper drinkers have suffered over the years.
Customer: "Dr. Pepper please"
Waitress: "We don't have that but we have root beer."
Customer: "I'll have water."
Old 11-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or, to put it another way, " why is a pomegranate"?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #51
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Bought a vega once ,thought it was the greatest deal ever 400 bucks for a nice looking car with only 25000 miles on it . On the way home from the purchase I heard a bang ,looked under the hood there was a pile of oil on the ground and a hole in the block you could put a fist in.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote