I love the new Cortez Camper out of Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
I love the new Cortez Camper out of Canada

It even has an oven and rivals the Oliver in 4 season construction. If I had the money, I’d buy it in the blue version. It’s all fiberglass construction (no wood) is appealing and all the thoughtful features make it stand out in the FG camper world.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:41 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It’s Cortes, and they’re made in Ohio. They have been discussed here a number of times before, but the first production units only recently began arriving in dealer lots.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:47 AM   #3

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Thanks for the correction 😊
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:11 AM   #4

Name: Russell
Trailer: 2017 Escape19
Louisiana
Just watched a video of one at Miller RV here in Louisiana and did not see any screens on the windows! That won't "fly"!!!!
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:25 AM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Cortes web site, says it has built in screens. Website Is hard to negotiate. Too similar to a Casita in floorplan, which I previously owned. I would take the Oliver over this.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:40 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Forty eight inch bed? Single seat dinette? Appears to cost more than an Oliver which has a 52" bed, a two seat dinnete, is foot longer and a reputation for quality. And while the blue is very nice, I'm not sure I would want to draw that much attention.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #7

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Very appealing design. Single-seat dinette is odd, to be sure; means if there are two of you, the bed has to be taken down every morning. At least with our Casita we could leave the bed down all the time.

But the entirely molded-fiberglass interior, wide-opening awning windows, marine-grade features (like cabinet latches), and sizable bathroom are neat. I expect their larger models (forecast on the website) could be quite something.

I like the color options. I've been wondering why today's molded-fiberglass trailer makers eschew every color except white. Escape advertises lots of interior decorative options, but every Escape outside is just plain white—well, you can choose your decal color.

No price listed on the website? I didn't see one.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
No price listed on the website? I didn't see one.
$59,500 fully loaded
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
I'm wondering if the single seat dinette could be used by two with the addition of a compact folding chair in the doorway? That would actually be a clever use of otherwise wasted space. Otherwise, it makes no sense to me.

Boats and RVs use a lot of white because it reflects the sun and reduces heat gain inside. Living in Arizona, I wouldn't want any other color, except possibly on the lower half. I can see that blue fading quickly.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
$59,500 fully loaded
For another 10 you can have a Bigfoot 25
For another 5 a 21
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:04 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
For another 10 you can have a Bigfoot 25
For another 5 a 21
A BF 21 would have a lot more room inside.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:44 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
Let's not forget they don't use the robust aluminum frame pictured on their current spec sheet anymore, they use the thin stamped steel frame as used on the stick and staple construction trailers.

The bathroom door has been eliminated and replaced with a shower curtain, no storage compartment access from outside, etc., etc.

No telling what other items will be scaled back on.
daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 04:45 PM   #13

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I watched the video on the website. Maybe I missed it, as I was getting seasick from the cameraman's constant moving, but the bathroom? I hope you guys like to sit while shaving, because it appears that the sink is RIGHT next to the toilet, with the toilet tissue dispenser on the side, and there's no place for one to stand up to the sink. And the sink itself is even tinier than the one in my Casita, and that's not saying much.

Another website said the Cortes has an axle-less suspension. No axle, to me, means the wheels are on either side of the camper, like an RPod...or a typical trailer, the kind you take the trash to the landfill in. Something about no axle makes me wary. Does it mean one doesn't dare tow the camper on anything but flat, level surfaces? It also means no springs, I bet, and I love the shocks we had installed on our Casita.

The floor is a bumpy sort of thing, like a nonslip pad that one puts in a shower. I can tell you from mopping floors, that sort of floor just never comes completely clean. The round protrusions collect and hold all sorts of schmutzen.

And their claim that at 48K, you're getting a good deal because there's no upgrades to be factored in. Well,I like to choose my upgrades. I didn't get the microwave or the television in my Casita, whereas this Cortes website mentions both.

The interior looks too much like an aircraft interior. I'll pass.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:45 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Look up “Timbren Axle-less Suspension.” It’s not what you’re thinking. In fact, it’s the go-to choice for off-road travel trailers, combining high ground clearance, long suspension travel, independent action, and smoothness.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:29 PM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
cortes

The Timbren suspension system is nice if you're planning on taking your trailer across rock fields and streams, I guess that's why they include a spare axle spindle to give you something to do after traveling over rocks and water all day.

Can you imagine dealing with a solid white raised dimple floor that is impossible to keep clean.

I really can't figure out who they're trying to impress with these bizarre designs.

Simply build a trailer that is unique and quit trying to copy other designs and claim it's designed better than a Casita, my Casita will still l be going strong long after I'm gone.
daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:40 PM   #16

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandalice View Post
Simply build a trailer that is unique and quit trying to copy other designs and claim it's designed better than a Casita, my Casita will still l be going strong long after I'm gone.
Don't sell yourself short; you're probably good for several more Casitas!