I need your input and opinions, please. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've been lurking around the forums here for about a month and a half, and rv.net. With the WGA on strike this Hollywood Teamster has had plenty of time on his hands. The DW and I are looking to make our first TT purchase, as we are tired of the tent camping grind, so I have been doing a lot of research while waiting for the Producers to give the writers a fair shake.

First off I would like to thank everyone here for their candid and lively discussions concerning their favorite past-time, FGRV's. I have learned a great deal about these 'little treasures' by reading your site. You might say that you have peaked my interest, I figure there must be something to these trailers if they have so many people giving them such great press. I wish there was a manufacturer or a dealer out here in So. Cal. so I could really look at them in person. I believe I read on this forum that the Oliver Trailers, which the DW is quite enamored of the pictures we've seen, are going to be at the Ontario sportman's show in early Jan, so I should get my chance then.

I would like your opinion on an ad I saw in Craigslist, http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/rvs/521585975.html . Is this a good price? What would be a good price? A great, you can't walk away from it price? What to look for, land mines, if I go look at it? Caveat emptor. Any input/questions/thoughts you fine people may have would be greatly appreciated.
MillerK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi MillerK... who are you? I prefer to answer someone by name... you can put that in your signature line through My Controls.

To answer a couple of questions. Landmines are fewer in molded fiberglass than frame built trailers. Check out a Check List for things to look out for: Buyers Check List

You can call each of the manufacturers to get referrals for a particular brand of trailer to be viewed in your area. I know Scamp, Casita and Escape all have trailer owners that are enthusiastic to show what they have. Check out the trailer brand page here: All Current Trailer Brands

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
As Donna says above the Checklist is a good thing to have with you when you look.

I remember this trailer was advertised before Christmas in another venue and I thought it strange he used the Casita factory pictures for the top two instead of just taking actual pictures of the trailer.
I particularly like the Liberty Deluxe model myself and this is only a year or two old, so if it hasn't been damaged it should be a good one. Check the casita factory site for the new prices Casita which will give you an idea if this is a good price or not. One of our members just sold one of this model and he may chime in on the pricing.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I can't help with that specific unit, but the checklist suggestion is an excellent one. I have used it several times and it has proven to be very useful.

You can check out several Casitas and a few other brands of varying ages at the Quartzite get together at the beginning of Feb.

We all love to show off our trailers!

Clicky here for more info.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
That 16' casita liberty deluxe is my trailer of choice next time i get one...... i now have a 16' casita spirit deluxe and while i am very happy with it the bed is much bigger in the liberty. (this is only my opinion on this trailer) there are many great fiberglass trailers and would be unfair to rule the others out. be warned though while i am only 5'8" tall the inside of casita 16' is 5'10" while the 17' casita is 6'2" inside height........ the 16' is lighter than the 17' which is what attracts me to the 16'........... what i really like(wife doesn't) is the 13'casita patriot Deluxe which comes with a shower and bath as opposed to the standard model.That trailer on craigs list is priced fairly
Remember there are other great FG trailers out there but i just wanted to give you my take. Good luck on your choice
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Some generic observations I remember from other discussions:
17' Casitas are more popular than 16' Casitas (of the same model/floorplan) mainly because the 17's have:
  • more interior headroom
  • a larger refrigerator
  • a flat entrance door
  • closer to a "2/3 rule" axle setback, reducing sway problems

The 16's have a unique advantage here in California:
PTI registration in California
Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Some generic observations I remember from other discussions:
17' Casitas are more popular than 16' Casitas (of the same model/floorplan) mainly because [b]the 17's have:
  • more interior headroom
  • a larger refrigerator
  • a flat entrance door
  • closer to a "2/3 rule" axle setback, reducing sway problems

The [b]16's have a unique advantage here in California:
PTI registration in California

To sum this up in one word "bigger".
If Casita made a 19' trailer (not 5th wheel, I bet it would out sell the 17')

Old 12-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #8

Just call me Miller, I'll answer to it. Being a Navy brat, having gone to an all-boys high school, and now being a Teamster I have a lifetime of conditioning to answering to my family name. No offense meant. First names are for when you know people a little better, a sign of familiarity. Give me a little time and i'll probably open up a bit more. If that is not acceptable for this forum I'll move on, no hard feelings. We all have our own quirks after all.

The lack of the typical stick built land mines is one of the things that has drawn me to these trailers. I like the durability that they seem to offer. And the limited, in comparison to a stick built, points of water intrusion. The fewer seems, the fewer places that can work themselves loose, need to be re-caulked or inspected. I know they are not maintenance free, (what is?), but they are less maintenance intensive than other trailers.

I was wondering if their was anything Casita, model or year specific that I should look for, all manufacturers have their own issues. Since I don't have any experience with these trailers I'm asking the people that do.

I know that this trailer will be a stepping stone for the DW and I, due to the fact that I stand 5' 11", but if it was a good deal I could live with it until one of the other manufacturers comes out with a 19' or 20' trailer. I read somewhere else here that Oliver is rumored to be working on a 20', but I think that thread got deleted.

Once again thank you to all of you who have shared your knowledge and opinions. It really is an invaluable resource to have access to.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #9

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
I was wondering if their was anything Casita, model or year specific that I should look for, all manufacturers have their own issues.
Not really Casita specific, but this may be a generic consideration:
Curved Door Problems

In fact, that is more a concern for Scamp and Boler owners; but I'll bet it is why Casita chose a flat entrance door for the 17' trailers. That would be one area I would look closely at if I were to inspect that trailer.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #10

Thank you very much for pointing that out. I had not run across that thread yet. Guess I have alot more reading to do to learn about the idiosyncracies of these trailers. The DW thinks I am trying to get a degree in RV. I just think that I am trying to ruin my eyesight and wrists. And I also did not know about the registration advantage. Thank you.

Maybe I am missing something, but when I go to the Casita site I am not able to locate any pricing info. Am I missing something, or do I need to order a brochure from them to get that information? I hope the other member will chime in, as that would be a good indication of used pricing. Thanks again.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
You do need to order a brochure to get the pricing information.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:35 AM   #12
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I'm not sure what the difference is, but I've had no trouble with the curved door on my 1989 16' Casita. Casita does use difference hinges than Scamp (and Boler), so that might be the difference. I did have a small space at the bottom of the door when I purchsed it, but close investigation showed that the seal had fallen off. I replaced that and no problems since then. The 13 & 16 foot Casitas do only have a ceiling height of 5'10", though.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Miller,
We own a 17 ft. Casita Spirit Deluxe. Bought it new in 2002. The 17 and 16 footers have the same three floor plans. Another difference between the trailers - with the Spirit model, the bed in the 17 ft is wider than the 16 ft., which , in my opinion is a definate plus as even then the width is barely just enough. Of course, the 17 ft does weigh more. The factory will be glad to send you a hard copy of their trailers and specs, or you can get same from the internet.

The Spirit model does offer slightly more storage space, eg., under the side dinette. The beds in the Liberty are easier to get in and out of and are also a little longer than in the other two models. One advantage the Spirit does have over the Liberty - the bed can be left permanently as a bed as seating at a table for two is most satisfactory with the side dinette.

Tell you, whatever your choice will be, I am sure you will enjoy all of your outings in this fine little trailer. We have been to many places since 02 and chomping at the bit for the snow to melt and the coming of warmer weather. These fiberglass rigs, all of them, are much easier on the mpg and are so easy to tow and back. As for the best one out there? Flip a coin, there are several good ones. The Escape offers a well constructed unit, as does Casita, Scamp, Oliver, and several others. Many no longer manufactured are still worthy of consideration. If pure Luxury is your bag, the Bigfoot is probably the best available. Just render your life savings. Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #14

The DW and I went to look at trailers last weekend on our way down to San Diego to see my family. Stopped in Irvine as there is a Bigfoot dealer there, same dealer sells Starcraft Starstreams which she really wanted to see also. I hate to say it, no offense meant to anyone, but I was not wowed by the Bigfoot. I'm sure a couple of eyes rolled at that statement, but it's the interior. It's too, and I really mean no offense, 'generic grandma', as the DW puts it. Now it could be re-upholstered, and we could order it with the lighter wood, but at that price point I don't feel that I should have to start re-decorating from the get go. Now don't get me wrong, I think the quality was there. True four season capability, all the specs are solid, major plus of two piece FG construction, but inside nothing unique and creative. (Starstream left me luke warm at best also.) When I look at the floorplans in the little eggs I get a feeling of some major skull sweat went into making them work. The Bigfoot just didn't strike me that way. I wanted it too, after everything I had read about them here, and in another forum, but no butterflies. And at that price point I better get some kind of flutter. Does that make sense?

On an aside, this same dealer area had the silver bankruptcy bullets nearby and she just had to go look. I think you know of which manufacturer I speak, after all they are the only other one that gets the loyalty and love that everyone here has for their FG's. Talk about rendering you life savings. When you get done you would have soap.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I know what you're talking about Miller, the too generic part... buying a trailer is just about like buying a spec home in a housing development... they all look a like. You're going to find that in ANY brand and in ANY size of travel trailer. But, it only takes a bit to make a trailer uniquely your own. Some colorful (in your color choice) throw rugs and throw pillows, a couple of pictures hung here and there... and you're already on your way. If you leave the bed down permanently, the linens certainly personalize the interior. I THINK BigFoot has a couple of different choices for the wood interior. Light oak and cherry (or is it maple??). It's like the wood interiors for the deluxe Scamp, each color of wood gives off a different "feel." Some like the stark white of the fiberglass interior, believing it adds to the "open and airy" feeling of the trailer. That too is a personal choice.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #16

Registry
Talking

Quote:
One advantage the Spirit does have over the Liberty - the bed can be left permanently as a bed as seating at a table for two is most satisfactory with the side dinette.
I think that the 2nd photo in the Craigslist Ad shows that this can also be done with the Liberty floorplan.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:19 PM   #17

That is the thing that keeps drawing us to these trailers, the eggs that is. The DW and I do not find them generic at all. I view them as a unique, creative and cool solution to a problem, and she views them as a wonderful, cute and simple blank canvas to build on. The difference between a spec home and, as accurately put by you, almost all of the trailers out there is that in a spec home they usually choose neutral colors. The fabric patterns, and valances, and wall treatments, in these trailers look like they were either chosen by someone who was decorating for a spinster victorian aunt, or a brothel in the old west that was trying to look classy. A throw pillow or bed linen gets lost or clashes terribly. I find, but most especially she finds, the stark white to be a good place to start because it allows you so much room to customize without having to undo what some decorating commitee thinks everyone wants. We've looked at some of the pictures of everyones eggs, and they range from classy to kitschy, which is a good thing, but all completely personal. But even untouched the eggs just beat on the eyes less. (If I offended anyone because they happen to love the current trends in decor, then I apologize. I'm in no way saying my taste is better than yours, just different and better for me.)

For examples sake the only two trailers that we saw that week-end that she loved straight from the factory wihtout me having to redecorate from jump street were the Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder X's, Java Blue or Endless Red, and the Airstream International Ocean Breeze Special Editions. Airstream has the quality, but lordy lordy $$$$. The Fun Finders are, as she puts it, stinking cute, but I feel somewhat overpriced for what they are.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #18

We also looked at the Tada, the Tabs bigger brother...so close, yet so far. Styling, w/ so many color options, and just bleeding cute all over the place, was there. 6" taller, so I could actually stand in it, 1' wider, so I could lay in the bed next to my DW and not look like a couple of slinkies given to a probem child, and I would have driven home with it. I just don't understand the thought process that said let's build a bigger Tab, but not really.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
The nice thing about Scamp and Casita are that they've been made for so long, there's a large, ever-changing supply of used ones for sale. That means you can pick a price you're comfortable with, then check the boards daily until the right one shows up at your price. (I found my Scamp 16' listed here, ready for the road and just an hour from my home, for $2500.) That's not true for Oliver and the other new manufacturers. I certainly wasn't comfortable making a five-figure recreational purchase, but you might.

Besides price, trailer weight is crucial for those of us who don't own (or want to own) large tow vehicles. For my car, one ton was the reasonable limit. A fully-equipped trailer, with a bathroom and the water storage to make it useful, could easily weigh 1,000 lbs more. The Casitas I've seen all had more luxuries and amenities, such as outdoor lights and outlets, which add weight as well as comfort.

Compared to Scamps, Casita roofs drop down a few inches lower beside either side of the center aisle, which makes them feel smaller to me. At a Casita rally I attended, an owner visiting my Scamp called it a "widebody." A measuring tape might not indicate that, but that's the impression I get from the flatter Scamp roofline. And I just can't get used to Casita's carpeted walls- reminds me of bong-filled basements, with blacklights and Hendrix on the stereo. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Scamp's interior finish, known by the unflattering term "rat fur," seems more contemporary and clean-lined, IMHO.

This forum, plus the Casitaclub.com, has created a huge encyclopedia of FG trailer lore. You can't go very wrong with one of these durable workhorses, regardless of the brand or model. Just get prepared to stand out from the crowd. Everywhere you go, your CasaScamBolFoot will attract attention, curiosity and admiration. When you camp around others, be ready to answer questions and give tours.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The nice thing about Scamp and Casita are that they've been made for so long, there's a large, ever-changing supply of used ones for sale. That means you can pick a price you're comfortable with, then check the boards daily until the right one shows up at your price. (I found my Scamp 16' listed here, ready for the road and just an hour from my home, for $2500.) That's not true for Oliver and the other new manufacturers. I certainly wasn't comfortable making a five-figure recreational purchase, but you might.

Besides price, trailer weight is crucial for those of us who don't own (or want to own) large tow vehicles. For my car, one ton was the reasonable limit. A fully-equipped trailer, with a bathroom and the water storage to make it useful, [b]could easily weigh 1,000 lbs more. The Casitas I've seen all had more luxuries and amenities, such as outdoor lights and outlets, which add weight as well as comfort.

Compared to Scamps, Casita roofs drop down a few inches lower beside either side of the center aisle, which makes them feel smaller to me. At a Casita rally I attended, an owner visiting my Scamp called it a "widebody." A measuring tape might not indicate that, but that's the impression I get from the flatter Scamp roofline. And I just can't get used to Casita's carpeted walls- reminds me of bong-filled basements, with blacklights and Hendrix on the stereo. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Scamp's interior finish, known by the unflattering term "rat fur," seems more contemporary and clean-lined, IMHO.

This forum, plus the Casitaclub.com, has created a huge encyclopedia of FG trailer lore. You can't go very wrong with one of these durable workhorses, regardless of the brand or model. Just get prepared to stand out from the crowd. Everywhere you go, your CasaScamBolFoot will attract attention, curiosity and admiration. When you camp around others, be ready to answer questions and give tours.
Might I suggest that the bold is a typo. Don't you mean 2,000 lbs. (My 13' with out bath is 1500)