I smell a scam and want others to know - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Old thread and my reply is a little off-topic but, as a teenager I got took for $10 in a three-card-monte scam. It was the best $10 I ever invested.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #22

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
I’m confused as to how the scammers actually get the money. Do they get the money out of eBay before the delivery? (Or non-delivery, obviously) I thought that was why people used eBay - the money didn’t move until both parties agreed. By the way, bought my 13’ Scamp through CL but it was in person and straight cash.

Cash proceeds on ebay don't come from ebay. Ebay is just a facilitator. The cash comes from PayPal.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #23

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerB View Post
I’m confused as to how the scammers actually get the money. Do they get the money out of eBay before the delivery? (Or non-delivery, obviously) I thought that was why people used eBay - the money didn’t move until both parties agreed. By the way, bought my 13’ Scamp through CL but it was in person and straight cash.
Sometimes it is not about the money, but about personal information that they can sell.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
E-Bay

Scammers don't use E Bay, usually Craigslist or local ads. It can be too complicated to explain, or even understand. Sometimes they just want a down payment to 'hold' you new purchase. Then they disappear. Other times they say they are in the ARMY, send a cashier's check, the 'unit' will be delivered free ! They use the word 'unit' or 'item' because they are sending out thousands of e-mail form letters and don't even take the time to distinguish which are cars, motorcycles , or trailers. Every time I have a car, trailer, motorcycle or even a car or mc part, I get letters saying , " I want your ' item', I can send a check immediately, text the addresss you want the money sent to. "
Don't buy anything where you don't TALK to the owner, get a feel for his / her personality and background and facts on their ownership. If they say they will fax the address and info, it is a scam. I try to see and touch the trailer, hold the registration in my hand before buying. But at least talk to the owner, see how long he has owned it, have a friend or professional at least check the 'item' and papers it if is located far away. And be careful it the guy says be bought it a 'few weeks ago ' , there is probably a reason for quick turnover. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote