I smell a scam and want others to know - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2017, 03:56 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
I smell a scam and want others to know

Hey All!

So yeah, I had a thing happen and want to make some people aware of a potential scam. Or at least a new one that I haven't seen before. Out of the blue, nearly a day or two since I put out a request for a Compact 2 trailer when I first joined this month, I get an email from a random lady. I'm only going to name her by her first name for now (in case it is real deal person needing to sell, but by the reaction I got, I am fairly certain "she" is a scammer): Linda.

So anyways, Linda is selling a 2015 Starcraft Launch 16RB for $2700... $300 past my request on my wanted ad. She says her husband died of a heart attack, moved to Idaho with her son to start a new life, and wants trailer gone due to bad memories. First red flag for me.

Trailer is in immaculate condition, 20 pictures attached to email, and the grammar in the wording was pretty good. Then I get to this part:

"I want to use eBay Motors services (5 days of testing prior purchase) for the safety of both of us so if you’re interested in purchasing, please provide me your full name for the bill of sale, your full address and a phone number so I can notify eBay that you're selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure."

All that without putting it on ebay, no CL ad, no nothing. Already, even if it was a bonafide ad, the trailer was way too big for what I wanted (and not nearly as cute as the Compact 2). So I responded saying thanks, no thanks and that I was wanting something much smaller, not interested. Gave her my condolences and wished her luck. Less than a day later, she responds with almost the same email except only a few words changed and blatant disregard to me saying that I wasn't interested. No mention of thanks for wishing her or her family on the path of healing.

"Hey,

Thanks so much for your interest!

Right now, I'm not there because I'm a special needs nurse and can’t take off without a 48 hours notice, so we need to meet up or I can arrange delivery - it will cost the gas money and I'll pay for it. I’d like to use eBay because someone stood me up last week..."

I basically stopped at this point. Mighty nice of her to pay for gas towing a large trailer. And not only that, she mentioned eBay again and using the Motor Services. Ebay doesn't offer those services outside of auctions as far as I know. I will only expect to pay in cash, or at least a large part of my future trailer in cash. If people are that skiddish to sell at a residence, go to a populated market lot or heaven forbid, a police station! Pretty sure they will come out and gawk at a fgrv out of sheer curiosity; Police are human too and will look at anything shiny like us normal folk.

This is a first for me, and I have tried to be vigilant. This screams the "Swaddling Baby" style scam, or a variant of it. This seems a little more constructed than your run of the mill style scams that really jump in front of your face. Just trying to do my bit for my first and only trailer community I just joined. Moderators, if you need screenshots of the emails, I still got them.

To be honest, it kind of has shaken my trust up with people again.

Anyways, have a good one guys! Sorry this was a long post.

Cordially,
Patdeesky
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:32 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Yup Pat, that's a scam....big time. I see many on CL and most are listed for $2000-2004. I did buy mine off of CL but had a good phone # and talked directly to the owner. I've used CL many times, selling & buying with no problems but go with your gut feeling....it's probably correct .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
1. Its a scam for sure.

2. If the seller truly wants to use ebay motors, put it up for sale.

3. Price alone screams scam, scam, scam! Add the typical BS story and its a bullseye scam.

When I put up an ad on C/L, I ask all responses to include name, phone number or zip code. The scammers have standard responses, so asking for specific information always trips them up.

I then use a google phone number for any conversation. I do not continue email exchanges. You can get a google phone number for free that will screen your calls. I wish my Verizon phone worked as well!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have seen those a lot both buying and selling. Pretty easy to pick out, as they sound fishy and always are. I just ignore them and don't even respond.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Scam. An obvious one. There are variations but those and the more famous Craigslist scams all follow a similar pattern.

Seems it's always the same - an in-person cash transaction isn't possible because they are in the military, deployed, or in a job where they "can't travel", etc.

I've been known to string a scammer along for awhile before calling them out, depending on how much free time I have to waste or how original or entertaining their particular scam is.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The only surprise to me was the '20 pictures' she gave you. Most scammers only give one photo. Linda sounds ambitious.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:40 AM   #7

Registry
I recently had someone wanting to buy a $1200 camera lens for their son who was going to school out of the country, and they did not live local either. They seemed satisfied I was a bona fide seller, were willing to pay full price, and would throw in another $200 for my troubles and shipping.

Yeah, sold it locally to a happy buyer for $1150.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
The only surprise to me was the '20 pictures' she gave you. Most scammers only give one photo. Linda sounds ambitious.
I have often seen multiple pictures. Often the same ones used in multiple scam ads too.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Scam ?

Yes, it sure sounds like a scam. I got one like it last week regarding an unfinished Teardrop I'm selling : " I want your RV (form letter ! ) , will send a cashier's check and arrange pickup as soon as you send me your info info by text." I said YES ! , Phone me right away. I got no phone call, no check, still have the Teardrop.
BUT : You may have read the recent story on the internet about the Nigerian Banker who died . When police entered his room to investigate, they found huge stacks of US dollars and boxes of gold coins. AND copies of letters to Americans, begging them to help him get rid of the cash. All the notes and letters remained unanswered ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #10

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Nigerian Banker

That Banker promised me he would send me that money.
Sad that he died before he sent it.:-) ;-)
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #11

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeesky View Post
To be honest, it kind of has shaken my trust up with people again.
Don't let it.

Just be aware that scammers scour online ads for anything that is for sale, looking for targets. About a third of the responses I get for anything I sell online are coming from scammers.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
There was someone w/ a 19' Burro on C/L in So Calif for a long time, definately scam. Good thing about eBay and PayPal. They protect the buyer. I was scammed a few months ago, PP refunded my$ seller blocked on eBay.
Jim Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
A 19' Burro, so rare... surely the only one in existence. LOL
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #14

Registry
Poss it was 17' but you get the point
Jim Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Thanks for the response everyone! Seems that the general consensus is that I need to walk around the block more.
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:42 AM   #16

When you put a snowmobile up for sale and suddenly some guy from Senegal is VERY interested, you can smell a scam!!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I had a really hard time convincing daughter in law that any online ad for an airstream in the condition shown in the ads pictures was a scam. Around $2,300 for a clean inside and out, AC and everything else functional with new fridge, plumbing and axle 19 ft. Airstream.

I looked up airstreams on CL and showed her "going price" and she was still saying well the ad says he has a financial hardship... I pointed out that he could probably drive to pretty much any RV dealer and walk out with more than that amount in cash from a dealer.

I don't understand it, other than I guess people convince themselves to get scammed as much as scammers convince the mark to go along. Advertisement reaches thousands then even 1% is a highly profitable criminal enterprise, with low risk.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #18

Registry
[QUOTE=RogerDat;658837
I don't understand it, other than I guess people convince themselves to get scammed as much as scammers convince the mark to go along. Advertisement reaches thousands then even 1% is a highly profitable criminal enterprise, with low risk.[/QUOTE]

People really WANT it to be true is the trouble. I was that way with a truck years ago, wanting/wishing the dream was true. Since then I don't even give those ads a chance. Seems to good to be true.............
Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I had a really hard time convincing daughter in law that any online ad for an airstream in the condition shown in the ads pictures was a scam. Around $2,300 for a clean inside and out, AC and everything else functional with new fridge, plumbing and axle 19 ft. Airstream.
I looked up airstreams on CL and showed her "going price" and she was still saying well the ad says he has a financial hardship... I pointed out that he could probably drive to pretty much any RV dealer and walk out with more than that amount in cash from a dealer.
Roger, we try to teach our kids about life from our own.....mishaps. Sometimes I've felt I was beating my head against the wall and you just have to let them learn the hard way if they don't listen. Then never say anything, just give them the "I told you so look". Learned that from my Dad and it only took once. Wish I could remember now what it was and how much that lesson cost me but dog gone, I learned it well, thanks Dad .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #20

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
I’m confused as to how the scammers actually get the money. Do they get the money out of eBay before the delivery? (Or non-delivery, obviously) I thought that was why people used eBay - the money didn’t move until both parties agreed. By the way, bought my 13’ Scamp through CL but it was in person and straight cash.
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote