I think I've found my EGG!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
I think I've found my EGG!!

I'm beginning to think this RV business is way to complicated. I've gone from wanting a big FW to a Egg to a reg. TT and now I'm back to an EGG.

Last year when I was so actively looking I summarily threw quite a few off my list to consider. What I was left with at that time was a Scamp 19' FW or possible the Lil Snoozy. Then this year I return from the Philippines and the Lance gets thrown into the mix and the Scamp was off. Why was the Scamp off the list? Because I didn't think it would work with my truck and the sidewalls being as high as they are.

Well guess what. I still really want that Scamp FW and so I called today to just inquire about the side rail. No sweat I was told. We'll lift the trailer and you'll be fine. I asked if I would need to go with 14" wheels and Jim up there told me no. Not needed.

So Happy Day's are here, my first love and now back on the list is a Scamp 19' FW. I'm actually going to drive up to Backus, MN next week and look them over (they have plenty ready to go, fully loaded). If I still like and I can work out the details for finance and pickup then that's the way I'm going.

I'm thrilled and do so hope this is the final chapter in looking and I can get on with buying and camping. Hey if it works out I'll sure try to make the NW NOG campout in May I think it is.

Ok, now I need to go out and start planning what I need to actually use it for camping. I have nothing so that should be fun. Anybody have lists or suggestions don't be bashful. Just send them my way or point to a thread here that has all that good info.

Later folks.

Nick
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #2

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Well alright, that sounds wounderful, good luck.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What model truck do you have? Sure sounds good.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
What model truck do you have? Sure sounds good.
I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. Thus the need for the lift. I'm pretty excited right now. Hopefully more so after my visit next week.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
good for you Nick! and you'll be sure to post pictures won't you...

BTW: the Spring NOG here in Oregon is the last weekend of April.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
good for you Nick! and you'll be sure to post pictures won't you...

BTW: the Spring NOG here in Oregon is the last weekend of April.
Thanks.

Oh that's right on the NOG. Might be tight then. Depends on when I can pick up the trailer if I decide to go that route though they did tell me they have fully loaded in stock ready for delivery. Otherwise end of April if have one built. We'll see.

And of course I'll post pictures. Proud papa showing off his new baby. Yeah!

Nick
Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Happy camping & safe travels west
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
you have made a choice that works for you...and i wish you nothing but happiness.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Nick, can you think of a good reason to avoid 14" wheels? I like 14s for the added carrying capacity. With 13s many of these trailers, once loaded, are right on the edge of the tires' capacity. 14s give some extra breathing room and IMO they therefore have a somewhat reduced chance of blowing out. If they lift the trailer, there should be plenty of room under there for larger wheels. Just my 2 cents.

And yes, my trailer has 14" wheels!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Nick, can you think of a good reason to avoid 14" wheels? I like 14s for the added carrying capacity. With 13s many of these trailers, once loaded, are right on the edge of the tires' capacity. 14s give some extra breathing room and IMO they therefore have a somewhat reduced chance of blowing out. If they lift the trailer, there should be plenty of room under there for larger wheels. Just my 2 cents.

And yes, my trailer has 14" wheels!
No actually there is no good reason not to go with 14" wheels and I will do that. In fact I chatted with someone else from Scamp and they recommended the 14" wheels. And I appreciate your 2 cents worth. It's actually worth much more than that. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #11

Name: Warren
Trailer: scamp 13' shopper
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikljones View Post
I'm beginning to think this RV business is way to complicated. I've gone from wanting a big FW to a Egg to a reg. TT and now I'm back to an EGG.

Last year when I was so actively looking I summarily threw quite a few off my list to consider. What I was left with at that time was a Scamp 19' FW or possible the Lil Snoozy. Then this year I return from the Philippines and the Lance gets thrown into the mix and the Scamp was off. Why was the Scamp off the list? Because I didn't think it would work with my truck and the sidewalls being as high as they are.

Well guess what. I still really want that Scamp FW and so I called today to just inquire about the side rail. No sweat I was told. We'll lift the trailer and you'll be fine. I asked if I would need to go with 14" wheels and Jim up there told me no. Not needed.

So Happy Day's are here, my first love and now back on the list is a Scamp 19' FW. I'm actually going to drive up to Backus, MN next week and look them over (they have plenty ready to go, fully loaded). If I still like and I can work out the details for finance and pickup then that's the way I'm going.

I'm thrilled and do so hope this is the final chapter in looking and I can get on with buying and camping. Hey if it works out I'll sure try to make the NW NOG campout in May I think it is.

Ok, now I need to go out and start planning what I need to actually use it for camping. I have nothing so that should be fun. Anybody have lists or suggestions don't be bashful. Just send them my way or point to a thread here that has all that good info.

Later folks.

Nick
Hi Nick, congrats on the scamp. I bought the 13' and drove up last week to pick it up. I ended up financing it with first Internet bank.
Best of luck with it.
Warren Shumway is offline   Reply With Quote