I thought about buying a used Scamp today... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I thought about buying a used Scamp today...

A local RV dealer took a Scamp in on trade today, and I happened to see the ad 17 minutes after they listed it on CL.
https://tulsa.craigslist.org/rvs/d/s...465780034.html
I called, and the guy said it was a 2001. Well! I jumped in the suv and drove over.

I'm sure some on this forum would consider it a good buy. And it appeared sound, with no obvious water leak signs. Buuuuutt.... it stank to high heaven! And they had a generator hooked to it, so the battery was obviously dead. And when I turned on the faucet, I got a little water and it was not pink despite all the really low temps we've had here lately. That concerned me. It was pretty dirty inside, too. It just looked like whoever traded it in did not care for it very well. In fact, the strength of the aroma emanating from the bathroom made me wonder if something in that area had cracked, to allow so much stench to escape. Dunno, what do you all think?

Whoever traded it in bought a 24' SOB, according to the salesman.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
camper

its a 16 Isnt it. man I don't know what it would take to get the smell out. call one of the commercial cleaning companies and see what they think?

redoing the plumbing you can almost bet on it and I bet that is a dicker sticker.

that is a good price though but that smell bothers me they must have had cats!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
At that low price I probably would have gone for it. Who knows, with the smell, you probably could have gotten a discount. Price is already half off, so I would expect it to need some love for sure.

Scamp used odd ball plumbing, probably plan on a job replacing it.

+10 not everyone winterizes their camper. The lack of the pink color is a sign for sure. Again, if you are up to it, all of this could mean discount.

Who knows, the holding tanks may still have something in them. It doesn't take much in the black tank to start stinking up a trailer. Look for leaks! The trailer is 16 years old, so rivets, windows, door, vents, are all suspect. All pretty much fixable at the right price.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #4

Yeah, I am not very handy and am not looking for a project. And I am sure there had to be some poo in the black tank... but I figured the smell shouldn't be able to escape to such a degree as this, unless there's an egress of some sort. I mean, it was so bad, the salesman didn't even want to set foot in it himself!
Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yeah, sounds like a project for sure! Most projects are best left for the people with the time, tools, expertise AND space to handle it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Replace the toilet seal, rent an ozone machine to run it for a few days inside it, then get to cleaning everything.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Nothing worse to me than buying something with an off smell. Had a great car a while back that in warm weather you could smell something, wasn’t really bad just a little off. Drove us nuts, sold it fairly quick. I would never buy a car or camper that was smoked in and would never get anything that I would sleep in that had any mystery smell.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
smell

I bought my own ozone machine small one off amazon maybe rent a big one but proabably wont be cheap. I have bought cars that had been smoked in it takes awhile to get the smell out but a good carpet cleaning helps. I didn't have my ozone machine then.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Craigslist link says it has been deleted.

What is an SOB? Stick "O" Built?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Craigslist link says it has been deleted.

What is an SOB? Stick "O" Built?
Some Other Brand.....usually a stick built.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #11

The salesman said someone else looked at it before me, and 3 more supposedly wanted to look at it. Most likely someone bought it today. I hope it works out for them. The guy did say they would 'go through it' and clean it and put on a new battery before letting it out the door.

Tags
scamp