I thought the Burro was extinct....do they still make them? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
I noticed Burro has a website but no phone no. that works. Are they still in existence? Why are they so inexpensive? Do they have a problem?

Lloyd
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Burro has been out of business for several years; however, their website is still up.

Tom Trostel
Old 09-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Why are they so inexpensive?
It's that 1990s capsule pricing!

Nope, Burro is dead.. site remains.. no doubt a lazy server that doesn't clean the space..

however the name is registered to a business named Fiberglass USA, and I have some knowledge of this business through my work. They may be holding onto hope they can come back.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Gas gets a little higher and they could come back -- There have been several new entries in the market in recent years, albeit kind of expensive.

PS Glad I don't have Burro's old phone number...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I have the molds now...... They were in Mexico.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
That's what I had heard was one of their problems. Once the molds were sent to Mexico and they began producing an inferior product. There maybe have been other reasons for the closer, too. But from what I was told the Biggie was the poor fiberglass from Mexico.

2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Question

They may not be extinct, but there are certainly no more being born!

Quote:
I noticed Burro has a website but no phone no. that works. Are they still in existence? Why are they so inexpensive? Do they have a problem?

Lloyd
Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #8

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
At the risk of beating a dead burro I'll have a go at one aspect of this. Our 2000 17 footer came with fiberglass quality that was very "uneven" (flaws large and small).

To be specific: small spots of thin fiberglass, mostly in edges in the interior, evidence of hasty and sloppy repairs, panels which are less than smooth where they should be, etc.

One major aggravation has been that the two interior shells do not align properly where they are glassed together. If you like symmetry and value the look of proper assembly this could be something to aggravate many an owner.

On the other hand, structurally this has not been a problem, and as far as the misalignments are concerned I have chosen to change the curtains to simply hide the offending areas. I have a bit more to hide, but it is an effective and realistic solution, and it hides some of this embarassment from the eyes of visitors.

The exterior on mine needs work, and I have been fixing some minor spots and painting them, but this is in preparation for an overall paint job, so in the meantime I put up with the sloppy look.

That said, I'd rather learn how to fix this type of problem than deal with certain other shortcomings, which is why my wife and I are of the opinion that none of the other trailers out there would do a better job for us. We are extremely happy with how it fits and operates for us.

1) the wider body is a huge advantage in livability (most stickies are even wider, so I don't feel this is a significant towing disadvantage), 2) the double shell construction has obvious advantages, especially for the customizer, 3) the frame is unusually stout and the the unit tows beautifully, 4) the counterspace is huge, making us wonder whether any cooks were involved in designing some other units, 5) the bathroom is on the high end of size and usability, and finally 6) the bed is really large, so we invariably sleep well and don't feel cramped. As Roger has pointed out before, the interior design is really a main advantage of this trailer.

Nevertheless, the fiberglass quality is really inexcusable, and since the saner majority of FGRV owners probably don't wish to spend their evenings repairing things this state of affairs should be clear in the mind of a buyer of the Escondido Burro (but, admittedly I don't have that many other examples to go by).

Once that reality has been absorbed and accepted it could turn out very well, as it has for us.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:42 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

Per Walthinsen for the decription of your Burro. I was looking at their web site in 2005, believe it was dead then. I believe the first fibeglass TT I had seen up close and into was a Burro friends of my sister had back in the late 1970s or possible the early '80s. At least, I vaguely remember "Burro" written on the side of it....I think? This one was very small, maybe 13' at the most. The extra width and room inside would be very nice indeed.

Greg A..."I have the molds now...... They were in Mexico." Are you going to use them?
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Greg A..."I have the molds now...... They were in Mexico." Are you going to use them?

Nah, I destroyed the molds.
Two reasons:

Like art, those of you with Burro's now have numbered limited editions and the molds have been destroyed, so they should skyrocket in value.

Two, so we don't have to wonder where the molds are anymore.....

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Greg, Greg, Greg... Gina is going to get her flying monkeys after you if you keep pulling everyone's leg
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #12

Heck - if we ALL look around I bet we could find enough mold. And we would be willing to GIVE it away.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Actually, there ARE Escondido Burro molds out there in Mexico and I believe that Gina may know approximately where they are. There are definitely a set of molds left near Sac City IA, and I know where they are.

I briefly investigated resurrecting Burro a few years ago using the original 1980s Sac City molds, but abandoned the plan because of the amount of time it would require for a startup business to get off the ground and be profitable. It could have been done, and I had the cash lined up to do it, but not the time.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #14

All kidding aside... when I first saw the topic of the molds I thought about why "someone" didn't do that - but I suppose there are copyright and patent issues that would also need to be ironed out. Still, intriguing thought.

BUT - after talking to the fella that was trying to get Trillium restarted in Calif - the trials and tribulations for startup are HORRIBLE - at least here on the left coast.

If someone really wanted to ressurect the Burro line, better to go into P'ship with a Scamp or a Casita and do it that way.
STILL, it would be a huge job.

Quote:
Actually, there ARE Escondido Burro molds out there in Mexico and I believe that Gina may know approximately where they are. There are definitely a set of molds left near Sac City IA, and I know where they are.

I briefly investigated resurrecting Burro a few years ago using the original 1980s Sac City molds, but abandoned the plan because of the amount of time it would require for a startup business to get off the ground and be profitable. It could have been done, and I had the cash lined up to do it, but not the time.

Roger

Tags
burro