Ice fishing with Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Ice fishing with Casita

I own two Casitas. I'm always on the lookout for molded fiberglass campers. I am a game warden. Today while on patrol on Devils Lake, ND checking ice fisherman I ran across this. A family out for the weekend, fishing through the ice of the lake, boondocking while fishing. They camped on another lake last night then came here for more fishing before going home to Grand Forks, ND. Nice folks. The ice is about 24-28" thick. Plenty safe to drive on. It's a 92 model. A local resort actually plows paths around part of the lake for fishermen to get around. This winter up until last week we in ND have been virtually snow free. We still don't have much. It was in the mid 20's today and is suppose to be above freezing most of the coming week. The heaters in Casita's can handle that. I hope the photo comes through.
Attached Thumbnails
CASITA on DL.jpg  
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Looks like his frame in front may be bent a little?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've never been out on the ice like that, but there's something slightly spooky to me about it. I swim, but I don't think my trailer can.... to each his own... I'll stick to dirt.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
I use to is=ce race sedans on road courses plowed on the ice years ago. Oh to be young again. Though in Minnesota the weather this winter was to warn to have any ice races I'm sure.
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #5

Registry
About a mile South of this location they were holding snowmobile drag races.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I live near Lake of the Woods which presently has about 30 inches of ice on the lake. Many years we fish on the ice until fishing closes in mid April. Often times the Rainy river ice breaks up and opens in late March or April which flows into the lake.

Some fisherman bring both ice fishing equipment as well as their boats choosing to either ice fish or open water fish in the same weekend!

A couple of years ago I missed out on buying a scamp that had been turned into a fishouse with holes drilled in the floor - ouch & what a mod...to repair.
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
When we lived in Wisconsin last winter on Shawono Lake the guys my son worked with thought our 5ver would look good on the ice. And with a bunch of men it too.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
I live near Lake of the Woods which presently has about 30 inches of ice on the lake. .
I have family with a cottage on the Lake of Woods and I recall that some of the folks out on the islands get there building supplies etc delivered in the winter via trucks as its cheaper than getting it brought in via barge by water in the spring.

I have photos of my Great Grandparents summer place in the Lake of Woods area and they use to go there in the winter just to cut up really big blocks of ice to store in a below ground cellar and the ice would last for most of the summer months or so my mother tells me :-) for keeping their food cool - no electricity in those days.

Just walking on a frozen lake gives me the creeps though
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How large a hole do you have to cut in the floor to ice fish in an egg camper?
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #10

Registry
Usually about 12'-14" each side will suffice. How many holes in the floor depends on how big the shelter. It's usually better to mark the spots to drill the holes in the ice move the shelter, drill the holes and move it back. That keeps you from getting all the ice shavings in the shelter too. When people built shelters or use old campers they will change the axle so it is possible to crank the unit down on the ice.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #11

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
How large a hole do you have to cut in the floor to ice fish in an egg camper?
just open a window.

man o maneshevitz.....thats livin.
i want to be those folks when i grow up.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
St Croix River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hovind View Post
I use to is=ce race sedans on road courses plowed on the ice years ago. Oh to be young again. Though in Minnesota the weather this winter was to warn to have any ice races I'm sure.
Jim I do not know if you are old enough to remember the Ice races they had on the St Croix River. I remember watching the figure 8 demolition derby they held on the Hudson Wi. side of the river . Last week when i drove by the same spot where they held the races there were signs of open water . When I was younger Wisconsin was the place to go cause you could drink beer at 16 and in Minnesota you needed to be 21 . Now those times are but a memory
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita