IcyBreeze Portable A/C - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
IcyBreeze Portable A/C

I would like to avoid rooftop A/C and, yes, I know others do not cool the space as well. I came across this and searched the forum to see if it had been discussed but couldn't find anything. I have searched hard for info yet but was intrigued and thought it might be an answer for others here: IcyBreeze Portable Air Conditioner & Cooler

Having to have ice could be a hassle and I see it more for short term use or "just in case" cooling.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
You will realize about 150 BTUs cooling per pound of ice you melt, 20 lbs. may yield 3000 BTUs if it takes 3 hours to melt the ice 1000 BTU per hour . The smallest air conditioner maybe 3-5000 BTU per hour. Most people say a 5000 BTU unit is marginal at best. Seems pricy for the benefit

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I find the rooftop A/C units to be very loud as compared to a standard window mount home A/C unit. There does not seem to be any quiet roof mounted A/C units available.

The melting ice A/C idea seems crude and ineffective to say the least !

Summer camping without an A/C to cool down my travel trailer is not an option.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
I have seen several You tube videos on how to make this same type of cooler for under $40. Not sure if that's accurate or how well they work ? But, in a pinch, and no other alternative, who knows.

I purchased a home-built fiberglass trailer from a gentleman in Florida recently. He wanted a roof with no openings. So he took a regular household A/C unit and separated the fan/condenser part of the unit into an outside wall opening. That way the remainder of the unit is mounted in an interior wall, in the center of the rv. Little noise when running and it cools very well. Much less in cost compared to a roof mount.
OhTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #5

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I have seen a few new travel trailers on dealer's lots that have thru-wall mounted A/C units like the window mounted units for homes.
About 60% of the unit is inside the trailer sitting on a cabinet halfway up the outside wall. The balance of the unit protrudes outside the side of the trailer.
This type of factory installation was in smaller travel trailers 18 feet long and under. The result is cost savings and much quieter than a roof mounted A/C.
It looked like a possible do it yourself project for an upgrade to a small travel trailer that did not have factory air.
I have seen a few do it yourself thru-wall A/C installs mounted thru the rear wall of a travel trailer which seemed to make sense as the protrusion outside of the trailer at the rear did not add to the width of the trailer...a safer location resulting in a back to front air circulation for better cooling.
All things to consider.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
IcyBreeze Portable A/C

Our LiL Snoozy has an 8000 BTU home AC mounted in the back wall. It has a fiberglass cover over it. We use a small fan to help boost the airflow to the front of the cabin. It works fine. We have a friend who has a smaller unit mounted in the rear window of her Casita 13. She had a special bracket made so the weight is supported by the bumper. This would be pretty easy to do.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
First thing, the roof top unit on the Scamp 16 (mine anyway) is 9000 BTU and it does a decent job.
In humid climates, most of the comfort of AC is removing the moisture from the air. This thing would only add to it, and you would need a conveyor of ice to make it the least bit useful in a dry climate.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote