Idea??!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1981 / Mazda B4000 (4.0L
I told my neighbor that I just bought the 81 Fiber Stream on Ebay last week. He is a former truck driver and avid Harley Man. We were joking around and I mentioned that I probably would have to wax and buff the gel coat. He joked and said why didn't I just have it sprayed entirely with Rhino Liner. I thought about it and it seemed like a pretty good idea. No more gel coat to maintain. I wonder if anyone out there has ever heard of anyone having truck bed liner sprayed all over a fiberglass egg? Any thoughts?
Veronica81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I'm a relative newcomer, but, no, I've not heard of anyone covering the whole trailer with truck liner. I've heard of several being disappointed with the lower front being covered with it as a rock guard. If the color is going to be one of the dark colors, then the egg will be one big heat sink. If you could get it in a white or cream color, it wouldn't be so bad. I would never own a trailer that had that type of coating.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:01 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1981 / Mazda B4000 (4.0L
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm new to all...eggs and forums. I wouldn't modify a poor egg that way.

Was just asking for some feedback on the idea. Yes, it would have to be a light color, but they come in many, many colors.
Veronica81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
If Rhino Liner comes in white it might work. anything that hits the trailer will just bounce off causing no damage. Don't think it shines though. might not like that.
Think most of the front guards that no one much cares for are the home spray on ones. But could be wrong.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I would recommend Sharkhide to bring back a great look and protect the Fiberglass.

Click here to see a movie. Sharkhide

From their website:
Quote:
SHARKHIDE is is the toughest of special coatings. Originally developed to protect aluminum from pitting and discoloration caused by wet mortar and other harsh elements during construction, SHARKHIDE dries in a thin coating to great toughness.

SHARKHIDE provides maximum protection, against both acid and alkaline damage from soot, dust, rain, water and sun for long periods. Withstands weathering, saltspray, ultraviolet rays, humidity and oxidation. Resists streaks and stains for years.

SHARKHIDE is transparent and high gloss, enhancing the natural beauty of the material it is applied over. It does not distort or alter colored, etched, or anodized aluminum and may be baked to enhance characteristics and improve adhesion.

SHARKHIDE can be used on all aluminum and fiberglass manufactured products including: boats, pontoons, RV trailers, marine fixtures, tank trailers, dump trailers, doors, windows, vending equipment, aircraft products, and more! SHARKHIDE may also be used on other nonferrous metals and on stainless steel (for your own protection, we suggest that you do a test area on questionable surfaces).
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Hello!! HECK NO I'd never paint a camper in a dark color- yep, I entertain a fun paint job, but WHITE is the only color to reflect the sun. Dark would just make it way hotter!!!

Hey, I looked into the VERTGLAS system because of a thread on this forum, and I ordered some, to refurbish our old Scamp. It sounds quite easy, no buffing! Easy, just time-consuming and a bit of work. (which I am going to get around by making a son who owes me money do it! ) But it's a scub the oxidation off then a wash then a protection shine coat which you do not have to buff ..

I went to a local boat repair/service place and for them to re-do a camper this size 13ft- they said at least $350.00 bucks! So, our sweat equity will be worth it.

Plus- the VERTGLAS isn't a wax, and it says you can put on a lot of coats, then merely wash and re-apply the protective coat each year, no buffing!!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I recall Chester used a Rhino liner type product on one of his.

He found that it was heavy, it was too plyable and actually got sticky in the heat, and it was a bear to remove.

Chester? Where are you?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
Hello!! HECK NO I'd never paint a camper in a dark color- yep, I entertain a fun paint job, but WHITE is the only color to reflect the sun. Dark would just make it way hotter!!!
I had owned a Compact Junior for 2 years, that was painted a dark Charcoal Gray metallic,

Name:   SCEgg1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  46.9 KB

and my present Fiber Stream, which is an "off" white.
Click image for larger version

Name:	undertree.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	2531

All set-up situations being equal; I have experienced no difference in the temperature comfort level between the two trailers. Especially when the roof vents (canvas pop-top in the Compact Junior, Fantastic-Fan in the Fiber Stream) were in use.
And, they got equally hot inside when they were closed up and un-ventillated.
My opinion is that the [b]dark color/white bit is an old wive's tale, purely psycological.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
When it`s sunny and hot outside, 95 degrees or so, walk thru a parking lot and put your hand on a white car`s trunk lid and then walk over to a black or other dark car and do the same thing.......let us know the result....mind you, I don`t know what the heat transfer is like thru fiberglass, but it`s fairly dense so should be pretty good.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I`ve read about Ches`s problem with the Rhino coating but maybe it was a prep or application problem....one of these days I`ll do the front of my 13' with it in red about 18" high in the front.......I shot on a beige gravel guard and put red enamel over it and now get a lot of beige stone chips showing....big mistake! ....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I love a perfectly harmless opinion.

It doesn't matter that it violates a fundamental law of physics. That just makes it more interesting. What better law to thumb one's nose at, than a law of physics.

And besides, I always choose a camp spot under a tree, and they will never give you a ticket for violating a law of physics when parked under a tree anyway. So what's the big problem?

Also wasn't there a poll put out by the government or some regulating body that determined people like grey campers way better than white? And most like to find a camp spot under a tree rather than out in the sun. So I'm no different than any one else preferring a grey camper and a camping spot under a tree.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:37 PM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
they will never give you a ticket for violating a law of physics when parked under a tree anyway.