If you haven’t looked at electric bikes in a while, they have really advanced. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
If you haven’t looked at electric bikes in a while, they have really advanced.

I just bought one of these low impact RAD City Power Bikes. I will let you know what I think later. Many eBikes are twice as much, some are half as much. Quality varies. These appear to be in the sweet spot. They offer real exercise, in an amount you choose, "life changing" according to some Reviews & Community Stories. See both. RADs have high powered 750 watt motors and a 48volt battery. On some models, the motor recharges the battery when you brake. Range, about 25 miles no peddling, 45 miles peddling, 20mph. They will arrange test rides in some areas. I encourage you to check out their site thoroughly. These appear to allow people with creaky joints to enjoy increased activity. That works for me.

RAD can’t keep up with demand. They offer small frames and stepover models, City models, Off road models, and 3 wheeled truck/pedicabs. Just like eggs, they sell direct. Many models from $1,499, with some discounts available. I count 7 models.

These aren’t petite. But as with a fiberglass trailer, sometimes you have to rethink things. When you are doing all the peddling, light weight is utmost. When you can easily choose the amount of assist wanted, it is not utmost. These are sturdy, stable bikes that ride on any terrain, and can carry a kid or groceries comfortably and safely.

With a range of 25 to 45 miles, they are well suited for getting around a National Park or camp destination. I remember “Mark’s Fulltime RV Adventure” Welcome to Mark's Fulltime RV Resource from about 25 years ago. Mark’s solution was a "small" 197 lb Honda CT 90. It’s all relative.

RADs have an excellent back lit unit with speedometer, odometer, assist level, power consumption, & power remaining, so you know when to head home. Note, many city buses have bike racks. These weigh about 60lbs. Lift one wheel at a time.

I am waiting on delivery, so instead of telling you what I think, may I direct you to look at what others think with these “life changing” customer stories:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/...munity-stories
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

Denver, CO
Thread on eBikes from a year ago:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post707062

I'd welcome hearing about experiences of others. There are undoubtedly a number of excellent choices, depending on needs.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I haven't tried the Rad city but have ridden the RadRover and the folding Rad bike. Both great. I think you will really like it. Eventually I plan to get a step through power bike.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:09 AM   #4

Denver, CO
Hello Bobbie, I remember you from a year ago. Check out the RAD City Step Thru, which I believe is a new model. I notice it is out of stock. They are back in stock every Thursday at 9:00am Pacific. It seems if you try to buy then, you will be able to get one. Their supply lasts a few hours. They arrange demo rides in many urban areas, although the demo may be the regular frame 'City'. Aside from convenience, it should perform the same. You can get at least a $50 discount, multibike discounts are $100/bike. Code v50-hxprsd worked for a $50 discount from the demo guy in Denver. Code welcome-11 works toward $50 off on an accessory, first time. I was rushing to get a bike, but I think you can use just one code.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...-commuter-bike
Old 07-13-2018, 05:05 AM   #5

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I have a Rad Rover, but only ridden a few times. So far, I like it.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #6

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Went to a bike shop to look at one for commuting to work and they guys says very casually... 'Yeah these are totally legal after you get a DUI'

I guess they a niche market.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 AM   #7

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We ride trikes and just returned from TOT, a trike rally in Kellogg Id attended by about 100 trikers. The hottest thing at the rally are electric assisted trikes. The one that interested us the most is the Shimano Steps system.

One day I'll be old enough to own an electric trike.

Birth, diapers, immaturity, adulthood, immaturity, diapers, death.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:15 AM   #8

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
random thoughts...

Electric bikes come in a very wide array of models, drive systems, battery and motor sizes....given the substantial cost of E bikes some research should be done on them prior to purchase. A good source is YouTube where E bike reviews are more than plentiful.

Speed....one tends to go faster and cover a lot more ground quickly on a E bike.

Power... 250, 350, 500, 750W are the choices available in motor size. Because some jurisdictions have regulations stating that anything above 350 is not considered a "bicycle" anymore and not allowed on walking paths the smaller motors are more widely produced and therefore quite a bit cheaper.

Range anxiety....just like with E cars range is a great concern...but it is overstated (E cars seem to have to have 100km range to be considered even though 95% of trips are less that 20km...IME the same goes for E bikes) I ride a 250W/36V/11Ah bike and FOR ME and my rides/use it is enough...never leaves me wanting for more.

I quickly get bored walking...I love riding my E bike. I see a TON of stuff on my bike that I never would driving my car on the same roads...and the bike allows me to travel on trails/paths that are forbidden to cars.

I ride a folding bike with 20" wheels...it is a "chore" to pedal it with no pedal assist on...(there is a reason why most regular bicycles have the larger wheels).

Camping, the folding bike has been a terrific. It fits in the back of the SUV. Once parked I use to quickly explore the surrounding area....in the bush, sometimes I use it to check out what is at the end of that one lane dirt road (see if there is a place to turn around or camp)
Attached Thumbnails
porta5.jpg   porta7.jpg  

bike.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
If they keep selling out so fast, why do they offer discounts? Isn't selling out one of the signs you can RAISE the price? So my college professor once insisted. And here I thought it was wisdom of and for the ages!

BEST
Kai
Old 07-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Hello Bobbie, I remember you from a year ago. Check out the RAD City Step Thru, which I believe is a new model. I notice it is out of stock. They are back in stock every Thursday at 9:00am Pacific. It seems if you try to buy then, you will be able to get one.
That's on my list but no time right now to get in to Seattle. I looked at a couple of eLux bikes last week and wasn't thrilled with the weight of the fat tire bike so am back to thinking the Rad city step through. May wait until New year- don't really need it until next June when my friend moves in up a steep hill from me!
Old 07-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
If they keep selling out so fast, why do they offer discounts? Isn't selling out one of the signs you can RAISE the price? So my college professor once insisted. And here I thought it was wisdom of and for the ages!

BEST
Kai
My guess is that at this point they want to get a large part of the market and then as long as the company is growing, not price themselves into direct competition with everyone else. Rad is hiring in Seattle and I think other areas, too- anyone with specialized skills who is looking for a job might want to check them out.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #12

Denver, CO
Kai, you make sense, but FG trailer makers face a very similar situation of selling out. So please, hush...

The sellouts appear to have surprised them this Spring. The pereception of scarcity is a big psychological motivator that prompts people to act now. It feeds itself.

It works, but they are ramping up production. Competition keeps prices down.

They have a good product at a relatively attractive price. The $50 discounts are only 3.3%. If you enter an owner's name when buying, you each get a $50 Amazon gift card, so that's 6.6%. It is designed to keep word of mouth buzz & referrals going. Not a bad idea.

$200 off purchase of 2 bikes is a nice deal. No sales tax for now.

I am interested in hearing about other good values in ebikes.

They just may have life changing potential.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/...munity-stories
Old 07-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #13

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
Range anxiety....just like with E cars range is a great concern...but it is overstated (E cars seem to have to have 100km range to be considered even though 95% of trips are less that 20km...IME the same goes for E bikes)
95% of trips are less than 20km? That' 6.2 miles. I would put that the other way around. 95% of my trips are more than 6.2 miles.

I'm getting range anxiety already
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:25 PM   #14

Denver, CO
A 20km trip is 6.2 miles out, and 6.2 miles back. Your mileage may vary, but many of my errands and recreational trips. fall within that.

The RAD City bike claims a range of two to four times that, at 25 miles not peddling, to over 45 miles peddling.

In some cases, you could partly recharge while stopped for lunch, in a museum, or at your job.

If you are down to 50% charge, you could park the bike and walk a bit. If you visit a mall or a market, for example, that is likely. The 50% left should get you home. Here in Denver, the buses have bike racks on the front. This could work.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:52 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
$200 off purchase of 2 bikes is a nice deal. No sales tax for now.
Not true if you live in Washington State. They tax the hell out of you.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
more....

20 kms is actually 12.5 miles....

and I think that should have read "less than 20 miles" (a stat I remember reading somewhere)
Old 07-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #17

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
20 kms is actually 12.5 miles....
I stand corrected.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #18

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
The main problem I have is how to carry the bike with you and your trailer. There are bike racks that will hold it, but the bike is pretty heavy and lifting it on and off will get old real quick. Plus you would probably not want to leave the battery on so you have to store it somewhere and put it on/take off whenever you want to use the bike. And how do you secure it when in the campground.

I use a van as my tow vehicle and made a ramp out of a hinged 2" x 8". I cut it in half so I have (2) 3 1/2' sections hinged, and with a ramp end I bought at Lowes. It makes getting the bike in and out of the van easy, but I still haven't worked out the best way to secure the bike so it uses the smallest footprint.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
van....

with a van and ramp it sounds like your "problem" is already solved....unless I'm missing something....

batteries on electric bikes are secured by the ignition key....it's permanently locked to the bike unless you insert the key and turn it in the opposite direction, releasing the lock mechanism....(that's the way it is on mine anyway...I'm assuming it's industry standard)
Attached Thumbnails
gbpp.jpg  
Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #20

Denver, CO
I am waiting on delivery, but I had previously scheduled a test ride with 'Velofix' a mobile bike shop that is in many bigger cities. He brought a brand new RAD City, and a step through Elby for me to try.

First the Elby, very nice, twice the range at twice the price, due to a larger battery. It has a different motor, but 750 watts just like the RAD. (Website says 500 watts?). It had plenty of power. I guess the top speed is somehow governed at 20 mph using assist, but you can peddle/coast faster. The Elby has some very nice handle bar grips that provide a wide, comfortable wrist support. The Elby had oversized aluminum tube frame, and even with the extra large 80 mile battery was slightly lighter [57lbs] than the 61 lb RAD.

The Elby also had an exceptionally long seat post to accomodate a wide range of riders. Nice bike. The display on the Elby was a little smaller and you cycle through screens to see some information. The Elby battery is in the frame down by the battery, providing a very low center of gravity, an advantage. They make a single speed and a 9 speed. I tested the single speed. You don't even notice gearing, due to the assist. The bike has integrated fenders, hydralic brakes, and handles most saddle bags. The Elby has 4 levels of assist. Link below.

The RAD City was the model I bought. It has two assist modes and 5 assist levels. I guess people commonly get 45+ miles with some peddling. Both bikes accelerate smartly & gradually, neither will throw you, or burn rubber. That would be unsafe. I really liked the regenerative braking, which kicks on with a light squeeze of the lever, before the disk brakes engage. It is on some models.

One assist mode is active when it senses you peddling, the other is fulltime. Nice feature. Even level one assist will cruise at 20mph. I think higher levels accelerate faster and handle hills. Have no doubt, you can get as much or little workout as you want, including none. You can also get as much or little assist as you want. These are a refinement of the old mopeds in my opinion. I suspect they weighed more, and may have accelerated slower. At 20 mph, you can mostly keep pace with residential traffic. I preferred the RAD's larger controls, display, and layout, but the Elby's were fine. I shifted gears a bit, and it was nice to be able to select a higher gear even with assist going 20mph on a flat street. Both for the exercise and to get a bit more out of it.

The 7 speed shifted easily and lower gears of course are great on hills. You don't need to start out wobbly in a low gear, you can just throttle up to speed and a stable ride. The bike had regular pedals, and has a daytime headlight if you wish. I believe it self adjusts to ambient lighting. This bike was so much fun, I did not want to stop. The demo guy said a high percentage of people that try them, buy them. I liked everything about it.

The aluminum frame is strong and rigid. Perfect for many errands, or for local transport on the road. Will easily handle several child seat types, or extra racks. You'd be happy with either, the Elby has more range. I'm guessing the tires fit into the bike racks on buses. Lifting one wheel at a time, it was manageable.

https://www.elbybike.com/product/single-speed-2/