If you havenít looked at electric bikes in a while, they have really advanced. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #21

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I purchased a Radmini just when the winter rains started so didn't get to go on it much. When I did, I would get caught in the rain. I found myself upping the power up to get home faster and that was one of the good things about it.

I've now got almost 400 miles on it and it is still fun. One thing though, I had a flat so took it to the local bike mechanic to get the tires armored up for the local goat head population. While it was there, I had him do a tune up and he found a problem with the front hub. He fixed it and now the bike is easier to coast and pedal. The brakes needed adjustment and there were a lot of other little things to do on it.

The mini folds up and I plan to do that when I take it on travels. It will fit in the back of my Ranger pickup. I've got a home made ramp to roll it up on.

I have been using it to run errands around town on and then going out just for fun rides. I haven't run the battery out of power yet. I can't answer how many miles you'll get on a charge. There are too many variables. For instance you'll use more power on a sandy road, when riding into the wind, when going uphill a lot, etc. I have had it down to two bars left on the display after riding 14 miles on rough, steep roads. I have ridden the same on pavement and just barely used one bar's worth of power.

It is a lot of fun to ride. I use the throttle to get going from a stop. That feature comes in real handy when there are busy intersections to get through. Then I am peddling. I'm finding it ridable even in 90 plus degree weather. You can adjust the assist to make peddling as easy as you want.

I just wish there were current bushes to plug in and recharge the battery when camping out in the woods!
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #22

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Oops, more: I was surprised that my bike was delivered on the second day after ordering. I was living in a backwoods area of the state, where "overnight" delivery takes 2 days. The bike was delivered by UPS as promised, from Seattle.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
RAD changed batteries on all their bike models this year. Not sure which year you have. A spare battery will double or extend range in the field. They aren't cheap. The 2018 battery is $550 plus $60 shipping usually. A careful comparison on eBay should reveal some compatible batteries for about $265 with free shipping. They are very similar, not identical. If they match physically, and have the right voltage they ought to work. They won't have RAD's blessing. I will probably try one.

I believe all these battery packs are built around the #18650 3.8 volt lithium cell which resembles an oversize AA battery. Even Tesla vehicles used them until recently. Modern flashlights also use them. This means you can rebuild many battery packs. Learn about them, as lithium cells can be a fire hazard. Not all #18650 cells are identical, as they vary in amp hour output, meaning some have more output.

RAD has previous year's batteries on sale. A spare may be a good way to avoid obsolescence.

It looks like prior year batteries are also on eBay. Compare carefully. The voltage and case need to match. Amp hours may vary. Amp hours is a common measure of battery capacity. I think RAD's factory one is 14 Amp hours. I bought a 2nd battery that is 10 amp hours. That means you can draw 1 amp an hour and it will last 14 hours, or 10 hours respectively.

Here's a rave review:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorins.../#44510aa27d15
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #24

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Note on buying look alike replacement batteries. Although the plastic cases are identical, the bases they use to attach to the bike vary. So matching the voltage and upper part of the case is not enough, there are several different bases. Thus far, I have not seen bases that match RAD's 2018 case & base.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote