if you were gonna buy a new tow veichle, what would you buy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #21

Trailer: Boler 1984
I used to tow with a Safarri van [4.3liter, 190 hp]but changed a few years ago to an 02 Dodge dakota with a small V8 [4.7 liter, 230 hp]. My mileage is actually better now and the trailer tows better. I think that has to do with the difference in wheelbase/overhang. My wife drives a 2000 Honda Civic, and we have been discussing down sizing to only one vehicle. We have decided that it would be either a Highlander or a Rav4. That'll decision will come down to cost at the time.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
No one has mentioned the Toyota Highlander yet, so I will. I . . .
Coming up on the 30,000 mile mark soon. Wish I'd bought a Toyota sooner. I was a Dodge driver and then a Ford fan, but now I'm a Toyota touter.
While heading to Yellowstone last summer we encountered a couple that pull their Scamp 16 (or was it a Casita 17? Hmmmm) with a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. They were really happy with it as a TV, and equally thrilled with it as something to drive once they unhitched.

Don't really have a vehicular religion myself. When Lynne and I met I had a Geo Metro and Lynne a Honda Civic. Now we have a Hyundai Santa Fe and Toyota Corolla, plus a Ford Ranger. If we had to replace the SantaFe or Ranger right now we'd probably get a 4-door 5-cylinder Chevy Colorado. The Colorado is a comfortable run-about with decent gas mileage (17/23 mpg) and plenty of towing capacity (5000 lbs) to handle our 3000-3500 pound (ready to camp) Scamp 5th wheel.

That's if we had to buy today. Our preference, vehicle-wise, would be to wait a few years to see what new, more fuel-efficient TVs appear in the next few years.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #23

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Hello, been a while since I have been around. My computer bit the dust just before the Holidays so not only was I dealing with the hectic holiday season, I had to buy a new computer, which thank goodness came yesterday! I am back! LOL............ Anyway I have been thinking of buying a new tow veichle. Currently have a 2000 Chevy Z71 1/2 ton that I tow our 17 foot Casita with. Remember it's just me towing so I want a vehicle that has control, yet I want to downsize a little. Truck is fine yet a suv-ish isn't out of the question. It's not that my truck is fading, it's just it's 8 years old and due to Dh's health issues I want something that is newer with less chance of eventually having issues. I know newer doesn't always mean better. I just know chances are things are going to start becomeing issue with my truck and since I am sooooooooo not mechanical, I think having a newer vehicle is probabaly a smart thing for me. So anyone have suggestion of what vehicles to start looking at? That have the strengh/towability that will ease my nerves? I don't want something that the Casita out weights out controls. Honestly my current truck has always been a comfortable puller. Have yet to feel that the tow was in control versus the truck. But the truck is big and gas'y. So if you have a few suggestion for me, let me know. Thanks Robin

Would love another veichle with leather, heated seats. One thing I would really like is onstar. Help!
Robin I would buy a 3/4 ton pickup with a five speed automatic that had 450 ft/lbs of torque and got 30 miles per gallon of gasoline. That's what I would buy
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape ('Suite Escape')
Registry
While I love my Sienna, if I were to get a new vehicle, I would consider a 2008 or newer Toyota Highlander because the towing capacity increased from 3500# to 5000# in certain configurations. However there is no sonar on it like my Sienna (it helps with the parking).
Happy hunting.
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Thanks for all the good sugestions!

30 miles to the gallon? hmmmmm don't we all wish!

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Robin I would buy a 3/4 ton pickup with a five speed automatic that had 450 ft/lbs of torque and got 30 miles per gallon of gasoline. That's what I would buy
Yeah, I have one of those I want to sell ya... but it's a package deal, ya gotta buy a bridge too.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Yeah, I have one of those I want to sell ya... but it's a package deal, ya gotta buy a bridge too.

No thanks I will pass............. LOL
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #28

Quote:
I guess you'll get a lot of different answers for this question. It depends a lot on personal preferences. We bought a new to us 16-foot Casita about 6 months ago, and immediately began researching what would be best for our situation. We settled on and bought a Toyota Tacoma just a few days ago. With the 4.0 V-6 and 5speed automatic tranny and factory class 4 tow package it is rated to tow 6500 lbs.(650 lb tongue weight). It comes with the 7pin connector, under dash plug for the brake controller, extra trans. and oil coolers, 130 amp alternater and bigger battery.
My thoughts were, we needed a T.V. adequate for towing, and a nimble one while not towing, with resonable gas mileage for either.
This was just our choice, and there are a lot of other good vehicles available.
Good luck on your search

Harvey

Done deal, Bought it tonight!!!!!!!!!!! Yippeee Skippeee! I was only going to look, well.............. I bought it! The back up camera is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. And the little button that you push when going down steep grades (so wish I would have had that when I did that grade out of Yellowstone into Cody). Pick it up in the morning, could have taken it tonight, but I would just feel better taking it when I hand them the money. I am weird I know. Figured it was late, and I need to go to the bank, so I would rather have them ready it in the morning than last thing at night. Not overly thrilled with the color but they didn't have nor could they get the color I wanted the new brown so went with silver. It's just a truck! LOL. Robin
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #29

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I'm assuming you bought a Tacoma.

Congratulations!! I think you'll find you'll really like the silver, heard the silver doesn't show dirt as bad as some of the other colors.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #30

Greg, Yes the Tacoma, yes the silver, (only problem is the last two veichles I have had have been silver or pewter). Kinda over it! But white's, white, and black's, black so that left green or this blue color that is a little bright for me. So it's silver. It will be fine.

So does anyone have a opinion on the LOJack? the anti theft add on? I can get it installed but wasn't sure about that option, so he said I could add it in the morning. So what do you all think of it? Also would you get the Toyota Extra Care Platinum add on? Opinions Please! Thanks Robin
Old 01-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #31

Registry
Hi Robin,
Congratulations. My Sienna is silver and sometimes I just wash the windows instead of the whole thing and it still looks good. As for the LoJack, call your local police and sheriff to see if these are popular with the thieves. I thought about it when I got my Sienna, but my salesman told me not to get it. I guess that should have told me something. Ha Ha. However, it now has over 87,000 miles on it and I've had no problems but I did buy a service package that saved me a bit, as well as the warranty package. You might want to check the forums. I check the Sienna Club forum and have learned quite a bit. Also Brian_BP belongs to that forum and was very helpful to me with regard to towing issues.
Enjoy,
Sandra
Old 01-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #32

Sandra, Thanks for the suggestions. I did call the police dept, and they said yes it's a good idea not only for the theft part but also for the fact that my Dh has Alzheimer's (doesn't drive anymore) but you never know when he may get it in his mind that he still can. He's young enough that even if he drove off and got stopped they cops would probabaly only think he's just goofy and send him on his merry way............... With the LoJack, I could call it in and they would find him quickly. So I went ahead and called the dealership and they are adding it before I pick it up. Thanks again. Robin
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
Done deal, Bought it tonight!!!!!!!!!!! Yippeee Skippeee! I was only going to look, well.............. I bought it! The back up camera is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. And the little button that you push when going down steep grades (so wish I would have had that when I did that grade out of Yellowstone into Cody). Pick it up in the morning, could have taken it tonight, but I would just feel better taking it when I hand them the money. I am weird I know. Figured it was late, and I need to go to the bank, so I would rather have them ready it in the morning than last thing at night. Not overly thrilled with the color but they didn't have nor could they get the color I wanted the new brown so went with silver. It's just a truck! LOL. Robin
Wow that brought memories, the east gate of Yellowstone to Cody. What a ride! The wife and I recreated the Lucy Desi routine about "how's that book you're reading" while taking that route. I remember staring at the line in the road and ignoring the 12 million foot drop on the right.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Wow that brought memories, the east gate of Yellowstone to Cody. What a ride! The wife and I recreated the Lucy Desi routine about "how's that book you're reading" while taking that route. I remember staring at the line in the road and ignoring the 12 million foot drop on the right.

LOL................. Yeah, it's not a fun grade, That's the problem pjanits you can see where you will end up if you screw up. I swear my heart was pounding and my stomache was spinning. Never and I mean Never again. I would drive a thousand miles out of the way, to not do that grade again. LOL......... though it's not it's not funny that grade is awful! Robin
Old 01-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15 ft
Quote:
I guess you'll get a lot of different answers for this question. It depends a lot on personal preferences. We bought a new to us 16-foot Casita about 6 months ago, and immediately began researching what would be best for our situation. We settled on and bought a Toyota Tacoma just a few days ago. With the 4.0 V-6 and 5speed automatic tranny and factory class 4 tow package it is rated to tow 6500 lbs.(650 lb tongue weight). It comes with the 7pin connector, under dash plug for the brake controller, extra trans. and oil coolers, 130 amp alternater and bigger battery.
Harvey
I just fell into a sweet deal. A year old 2007 Dodge Dakota, 4.7 L, V-8 Super Cab with all the bells and whistles. It still has 24 months of the factory warranty left and less than 9K miles. I took advantage of the bad economy to get myself the perfect truck. It has twice as much tow capacity I need. Maybe I need to think about a bigger trailer?
Cathy Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #36

Cathy, sounds like a great deal Congrats! Just enjoy! Robin

Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #37

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I just fell into a sweet deal. A year old 2007 Dodge Dakota, 4.7 L, V-8 Super Cab with all the bells and whistles. It still has 24 months of the factory warranty left and less than 9K miles. I took advantage of the bad economy to get myself the perfect truck. It has twice as much tow capacity I need. Maybe I need to think about a bigger trailer?
Hi: Cathy Gale... Go for IT!!! 17' is such a nice round figure...It'd be a great combo. Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. I bet they'd have one almost ready for you!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #38

Registry
Congraulations!
I concur You'll love it and it's amazing what 2 feet will do!
Sandra
Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #39

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Robin,

Having both my husband and myself in Law Enforcement for several years (37 combined) regarding your question on LoJack - I would certainly find out if your agency has the capabilities for this service before paying for it, and I'll tell you why.

My experience has been in Florida and in Ohio - here in Ohio my husband and I worked for 2 separate departments and neither of our departments had a vehicle/cruiser outfitted with the LoJack locating device. Therefore, if a customer of LoJack were to call us to say their vehicle was stolen from the mall, there wouldn't be anything we could do about it as we didn't have the set-up to go looking for it.

At our agency in Florida - we had 300 officers, but only 1 vehicle outfitted with the LoJack locating equipment. If that vehicle was out of service for say a transmission problem or service, that would mean we would have no vehicle with the LoJack equipment in a city of roughly 250,000 residents and 300,000 during "snow bird" season. Also, not every officer is 'trained' to use the equipment, as only those who were assigned to the LoJack vehicle were - that officer was considered the Liaison for the company and the department.

I think it's a great idea, me personally I'm partial to OnStar as the home office in Michigan can locate my vehicle anywhere and at anytime if needed and doesn't rely on law enforcement for the equipment to do so.

Just my thoughts and experiences and some 'insider' information.
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #40

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I too rely on OnStar. It is also convient to have the telephone function of OnStar active so you can make/receive calls even in areas where there is no cell phone service.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote