Imagine getting the burro mold and building a modern version out of carbon fiber! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Imagine getting the burro mold and building a modern version out of carbon fiber!

Just daydreaming here..
Imagine getting the burro mold and building a modern version out of carbon fiber!

Would be so nice!
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
Just daydreaming here..

Would be so nice!
A good carbon fiber bicycle starts around $2K.
What would do you suppose that "modern Burro" would cost?
It would look great with that fabric showing look.
How about custom glue-on tires with 2"wide aluminum wheels and a titanium alloy frame. Plus 1/8th" lexan windows, inflatable cushions, and no spare.
LED lights powered by rechargable AAA batteries.
Shore power supplied through a standard 16Ga outdoor extension cord.Plus a couple of 12V outlets supplied by the charger and battery from a Barbie Jeep or supplied by the Smart Car TV.
Mylar blankets for bedding.
Two T-shirts and two gym shorts each for clothing... Must go commando to save weight!
One I-phone to cover for all reading and communication.
Any other ideas?
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Where can we order?
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Full Campy, Floyd? The sewups were the giveaway. There are racing frames out there that are well over 2K without a fork. TT frames, sky's the limit.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Full Campy, Floyd? The sewups were the giveaway. There are racing frames out there that are well over 2K without a fork. TT frames, sky's the limit.

jack
I prefer CRO-MO, and still haven't found any bike for which I would trade my 1989 Trek 820. In fact I recently found a practically new 1989 820 and am in the process of bringing it up to match my old one.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #6

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
You guys: STEEL IS REAL. (But I got exceptionally lucky with a club price on my carbon Fuji)

I would LOVE to have a carbon fiber Burro, right after I find a thousand million dollars laying on the ground in my back yard.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #7

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
A good carbon fiber bicycle starts around $2K.
What would do you suppose that "modern Burro" would cost?
It would look great with that fabric showing look.
How about custom glue-on tires with 2"wide aluminum wheels and a titanium alloy frame. Plus 1/8th" lexan windows, inflatable cushions, and no spare.
LED lights powered by rechargable AAA batteries.
Shore power supplied through a standard 16Ga outdoor extension cord.Plus a couple of 12V outlets supplied by the charger and battery from a Barbie Jeep or supplied by the Smart Car TV.
Mylar blankets for bedding.
Two T-shirts and two gym shorts each for clothing... Must go commando to save weight!
One I-phone to cover for all reading and communication.
Any other ideas?
to me a good aluminum/steel bicycle starts at 2k$..

Actually carbon fiber itself is not that expensive. plus contraints in design vs strenght are not the same as bicycles.

I'm a mountain biker and haves bikes worth over 5k$ each...you have to remember that the bicycle industry is very expensive compare tp anything else made of carbon fiber...
That said most of the carbon fibers bikes sold here are made in china and sold to us 3 to 5 times the price its worth.. for example, carbon fiber rims: The same company in China that makes the carbon rims for the big names brands in america that sells for 900$ to us consumers, sell them direct from china for around 200$ to who wants to buy them... Same goes for the frames...

So in that sens yes it would be more expensive but maybe not that much..from there you have a blank to experiment with new materials.

a brand new trailer burro style cost what? 15k$
lets say you build the egg bubble for 10k$ then you have 5k$ for frame and interior... totally doebale when you think that the teardrop guys built their complete teardrop for around 3k$..
Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

Delaware
Ah, the old road iron. Faithful steed, companion of our youth, frame of fabled Reynold tubes, little bits of Excalibur mixed in there with the Enfield rifles, Wilkinson razor blades, and the odd LendLease freighter! Gone forever the days when savage Chro-molybdenum Man, recognizable by the severely-receding brows and crude woolen shorts, roamed the earth on suspiciously flexible bicycles. Requiescat in pacem.

jack
Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #9

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Carbon fiber travel trailers. Just think, there could be another web site in the making.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Would having an all molded towable built out of carbon fiber make the camping experience more fun? Doubtful.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #11

Delaware
A trailer molded of Tropical Fruit Jello would be nice. Carbon fiber rovng and epoxy resin? Not so nice. And not everything that can be done should be.

jack
Old 06-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #12

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Would having an all molded towable built out of carbon fiber make the camping experience more fun? Doubtful.
Prabably not. Buy i'm a tech guy who likes to have çrazy ideas... Sure would save weight wich is something i know i'm concern about.

@Jack why not so nice? Fiberglass is pretty much the same thing, fiber cloth and resin... Just lighter and stronger.

But like i said , daydreaming.
I like to build stuff ...If i had the molds, time and the funds for a new trailer..i would try to build it.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #13

Delaware
Carbon fiber not as tasty as Jello. You are correct, Sir, that the materials and process are analogous. Polyester and silica glass are less expensive, discounting the labour cost advantage of Taiwan, Korea, and the Chinese mainland. I still have my Kestrel road bike but I put over 15,000 miles on a cheap (8C$US) Trek 1400. Aluminum kicks your arse but makes for a stiff bracket and efficient power transfer. Carbon likewise.

jack
Old 06-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
But like i said , daydreaming.
I like to build stuff ...If i had the molds, time and the funds for a new trailer..i would try to build it.
I think everything start with a dream and I'm grateful that Ray Olecko looked at a septic tank and thought it would make a great all molded towable!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
You guys: STEEL IS REAL. (But I got exceptionally lucky with a club price on my carbon Fuji)

I would LOVE to have a carbon fiber Burro, right after I find a thousand million dollars laying on the ground in my back yard.
Titanium might be my second choice, but I never rode one.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Carbon fiber CR-1 trailer video
First look at the only all-carbon fiber RV in the world | Roadtrippers
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
And at the bottom of that page in small print it says:

"And just how much will this level of carbon badass-ness cost? Estimates say the CR-1 will start at a cool $100k and range all the way up to $500K. "
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Two questions:
Why?
Could they not afford to hire a professional photographer to shoot the pictures?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #19

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Very Nice
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think everything start with a dream and I'm grateful that Ray Olecko looked at a septic tank and thought it would make a great all molded towable!
So True Donna. I can imagine his neighbors talking....

"Gads didja hear about Ray-O? He's actually thinking of making a camping trailer out of the same thing you FLUSH into!! How crazy is that?"

I think that a lot of new 'schtuff' starts with a wild idea
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote