Importing a camper from Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #1

Name: Taras
Trailer: Currently shopping for Burro, scamp or casita
Colorado
Importing a camper from Canada

Hey everyone!

Anybody here ever imported a camper from Canada? Looking at a bugfoot I want to buy in BC. Looked at all the CBP info and one thing it mentions is a label that certifies it as legal in USA. Not sure where to look for that label.

Personal experience would be very helpful.
Rushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Do a quick search and you'll find more than you ever want to know about importing from Canada.

What year Bigfoot? I'll check mine later because I remember a tag on the driver side with some info, but the stickers you need will probably be just to left of the outside door.

If the trailer is 25 years or older you don't need the sticker.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #3

Colorado
Thank you! It's a 1998 25b21rb.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #4

Montana
Ah, yeah you'll need that sticker then.

I imported mine from Canada in 2016, and it's a 1991, so it had just hit the 25-year mark. There was actually some confusion as to whether it needed to be 25 years to the day, or just to the year, and it still had a month to go. I bought it to make sure someone else didn't, then put it in storage as close to the border as possible, figuring I'd come back in a month, when it was 25 years old to the day. I stopped in on my way south to make sure I had all the correct paper work for when the time came, and the agent at the crossing said he thought year was all that mattered so I went back the half hour and grabbed it and drove back over the border with it.

You'd think there'd be a clear-cut answer but really there isn't. As long as you walk out with stamped papers, you're good! It does need to be 25 years or older or have the sticker, and you need one importing form. Those are for sure, even though at some border crossings you might be able to sneak through without one or the other. But you need them to title the trailer in the US so it's best not to. But other than those two things, what's required will vary depending on the crossing, who's working that day and what mood they're in. I had heard they'd need to inspect it but they never even looked out the window at it.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

Colorado
Yeah it really sounds like it needs to have that sticker and I don't think it has one.:-/. We really want a 21rb and they are imposible to find and new ones are 55k
Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

Montana
Hmm. There are ways around it but they're annoying and expensive, like hiring an "importer" to bring it across for you, or having it inspected and deemed safe for US roads. Silly because anything 25 or older I guess is assumed to be safe? I'm not complaining but it doesn't make sense. I'm sure they just had to draw a line somewhere.

Good luck.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
We brought our 86 Bigfoot 5th wheel across from Victoria, it was 25 yrs plus 4 months at the time. Ours had both the round Canada cert sticker on the passenger side, and the US cert rectangular sticker on the drivers side. You may have the US cert sticker, have the owner take some close up photos of both sides.
Good luck, it's worth the trouble to bring it thru.
Tom Y
Tom Y is offline   Reply With Quote