Impulse Camping, or how long does it take you to get ready? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2006, 05:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
Okay, here's my question. Have you ever come home from work, not planned to go camping, but decided spur-of-the-moment to hit the road? No reservations made. Just grabbed a few vittles, your cell phone and left? I'm asking because I am trying to plan on how to make Dumplin' ready to go at all times (clean clothes, towels, dishes stowed). I can see myself wanting to do this, especially after a trying week at work!

So, I would love to hear about your experiences and also how "ready" your egg is for travel. Thanks in advance - love the forum!

Many happy trails ya'll.
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Our trailers can be made ready to go with the addition of food and appropriate clothing. Everything else stays in 'em year 'round!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The Mountain Egg is pretty well ready to travel at all times. Here's how we manage that.

Instead of packing just before we want to leave on a trip we pack as soon as we can after returning from a trip.
Some exceptions;
Stuff that needs to be in fridge
Some clothes. (mainly because of changing weather conditions)
The following are ready to go will go in the Tow Vehicle
Lawn Chairs
Outside door mat.
Step.
BAL leveler.

Everything else is clean and stowed in the trailer just waiting for the next trip. Even the clothes are mostly packed. We use duffle bags for the clothes and the essetionals are always packed.

There's always ice is soft drink bottles so we don't have to worry about having the fridge cool.

How long does it take? Depends on who has which car that day. If I've got the tow vehicle I'll be hooked up and ready to go by the time Anne gets home.

If she has the tow vehicle I've got everthing ready to go and can be hooked up by the time she changes out of her work clothes.

I hate trying to find things at the last minute.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Hi Patty! We have done that more often than not. It takes us about 45 minutes and that's in a popup (currently selling the popup and have a Scamp on order). We have to pack clothes, toiletries, food and water. I would imagine it will take us shorter with the Scamp. I also call the park we're going to to see if they still have some sites available. At times we have had to travel our further since the state parks closer to home were full.
Nancy Merigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Patty, it takes me 30 minutes at most to put "The Brown Egg" in the road. This includes the "Back-up-buddy mirror" hook up to the tug. I keep staple food in the egg and the staple cold items in a basket in my house refrigerator. I toss it in the egg refrig. with a bottle of frozen water. To finish, all I have to add is my clothes, milk & bread, the cat and me.

I like some others that have posted, clean and re-stock when I get home so my Brown Egg sits on ready to go.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

We find it easier to keep the Fiber Stream mostly equipped with it's own "things." We possible have it loaded to excess, but the difference between a completely "Dry" weight and fully loaded for the road is averaging about 800 pounds. My favorite kind of travelling is to go from coast to coast. Therefore it is staged for a week on the road, before we need to find a laundry. Bedding, (including pillows), Bath Towel Sets, Travel Toiletry Kits, Pots & Pans, 2 coffeemakers, travel coffee mugs with lids, dinnerware service for 4, flatware, cooking utensils.

Many of our weekend get-away spots are at National Forest Campgrounds, without hook-ups. For that we have a 5 gallon jerry can for water, so we can fill the fresh tank from a remote spigot. There is also a 5 gallon tote for gray water, so we can keep the gray tank from overflowing into the shower. My Black tank has 13 gallons of capacity, and I have never had a problem staying ahead of it. We love having a full Bathroom available and we use it.

We are on a budget, so our trailer furnishings are not new. The TV/VCR is still serviceable, and we rotate video tapes in & out from our massive home library. We have an 8 tape cabinet that keeps the ones we have onboard organized. I have a second group 27 battery for input to a 300 watt inverter, so I can run the TV/VCR and DVD player without hookups. I keep that separate from the "House" battery so I don't compromise the water pump, furnace blower, or lights.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Patty,
After returning from a trip, the next day's business is cleaning and restocking "Nuestra Casita". Most clothing, canned goods, toiletries, etc. are kept "ready-to-roll" at all times.

We rarely even turn off the refrigerator. Basically all that is necessary is a stop for gas and perishable edibles. The tug is likewise prepared at all times. Whether leaving for a week-end or multiple week trip we are usually able to leave on short order.

That said, our lives are not in "usual mode" currently. We are, in a sense, full timing in our Casita until the remodel of our home is completed. Kitchen and bathroom facilities are usable in the house, but there is no living room, 2nd bath, or even a bedroom. There is a glimmer at the end of the tunnel and half of the insulation went up today, the electrical is nearly finished and drywall will be next. Then interior painting, flooring, and trim.

February '06 seems ages ago when we started this, now we would like to get it completed within a one year's time. But only The Lord knows, because there always appears to be another delay around the corner.

Spontaneity is a lot of fun, provided one can count on a location to camp.

Enjoy the process, even unexpected situations are what you make of them.... & lemonade can be a delicious treat!

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I also take off spur of the moment.

Like others, just about everything but perishables are in there. There is always a gallon or two of drinking water, some sodas, canned good, dry goods and coffee with the stuff that I put in it.

My trailers MAIN reason for being is as an escape pod and temporary shelter from wildfire that is so frequent here. This is the height of our fire season, and right now, I could hitch and be gone in 10 mins. or so. There is always dedicated linens and camping clothes in there.

When packing to leave my site, it's always done in the same fashion.. I have my system... so that all that need be done when I get home is to remove the perishables, the linens that needs cleaning, all the while already having clean replacements IN the trailer.

Ready to go, any time.

My record to hitch and run is 15 minutes last year when they threatened to close a hiway here due to rain and mud.

I got out in time and lived down the hill for 4 days until the hiwayy was re opened. I missed no work and it only cost me park fees.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Re: Staple food and supply checklist for stocking the trailer.

This brings up a good point. Does anyone have a checklist they would care to share for trailer staples? I can make my own, but I'm thinking that someone has a better more complete list than I can come up with through trial and error.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:54 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
So, I would love to hear about your experiences and also how "ready" your egg is for travel. Thanks in advance - love the forum!

As alot of the people my Boler is mostly packed and ready to go and at the most it needs is just the food and some cloths and battery charger unhooked and trailer hitched and off I can go but...... Where is the wife....
I have been an avid trail hiker for the past 30 years so as far as food extra cloths and the more plesentries of life I can do without, but the wife will be packing extra this and extra that and just incase items.
Although our first 2 outings last spring I really could have used a rain coat the wool sweater got me through ok.
Now the rain slicker is hanging by the door ...INSIDE the camper.
My attitude if you forgot it, do without it and if you can't go buy it.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How quickly I can get and go depends on several factors. If I'm going by myself...throw in the food/clothes..hitch up and go...half hour tops. Taking my daughter....probably an hour or more...she packs more stuff than I do. Now, if I'm getting ready to go to a gathering of eggs...that takes about three days!

Like most, my trailer has everything I need to camp. I outfitted it by using duplicates out of the house, shopping yard sales and second hand stores. I want for nothing. I prefer the trailer to have it's own stuff, rather than dragging things back and forth from the house.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:06 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:

This brings up a good point. Does anyone have a checklist they would care to share for trailer staples? I can make my own, but I'm thinking that someone has a better more complete list than I can come up with through trial and error.
A Survivor Story on the check list & trial & error.

The short of it is a weeks camping at St. George Island State Park. Arrived, set up, and put the "smart key" in the NEW Ford Escape to go get fresh meats, veggies and stuff from the unique oiled-wooden floor market on the Island. The key broke in half and all the calls and re-sets did nothing to make the #*###@@ vehicle start. We were stranded.

I had quick rice, canned chicken, some potatoes, canned stews, coffe and you get the idea. We fished, caught fish, cleaned, cooked and ate. Day 4 or so, we got a ranger to take husband to the island store with a list.

Did I mention this was a holiday week? When we finally got a tow truck to take the dead Escape to get it fixed, our week was over. We were true suvivors.

A list..... pretend you have to stay where you are and have no way to go get anything. That should do it.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:

We don't keep much in the trailer all the time, food-wise. The cook (not Me) prefers to plan meals to fit the trip we are on.

The "foodstuff" that stays in the trailer are:
airtight containers of ground coffee, sugar, and non-dairy creamer
airtight small containers of spices, in the spice bin next to the microwave
a 6-pack of Boost/Ensure
a can of Pam or other cooking spray

Everything else is loaded upon departure.
We cannot store the trailer at home. This is a big factor in how it is stocked.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:50 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
It takes me about an hour to load, get hitched up and get the dogs in the car.

I leave a supply of food in the Camper (dry & canned goods). I have a plastic container in my fridge with all the refrigerated staples. So, for food I just grab that plastic container, whatever I happen to have in my fridge that's fresh (vegies, fruit). The most time consuming thing is packing meals for the dogs.

Then I fill a duffel with clothes (I have a set of warm things, extra sandals, etc in the camper at all times - so just what I think I'll wear, not all the contingencies). I always have a packed ditty bag with extra travel sized shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Towels are already in the camper.

I have a pretty extensive checklist but it's divided up into 2 categories - load into camper before each trip (that's the stuff I don't have duplicates - like my camera) and the staples (which I check and refill after each trip). It's on my other computer - I'll try to remember to post it.

MOST important preparation: Write up a note with my planned itinerary and leave it on the dining room table. Call a friend or relative and tell them where I'm going, when I plan to be back. Remember to call them when I get back.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
I kinda did things in reverse. I kept a dry erase board for camping only and kept adding to it each time we camped and I forgot something I'd like. Worked very well when we eventually took our month long trip. I don't keep bedding/cushions/towels etc in the trailer, but they're all together in the same place, so easy to grab. Out time is under an hour too.
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
we can be on the road in less than 30 min and at the camper we leave at the lake in 2 hours after we start driveing
Dan Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Dan Cheats!

I have found good "dry" goods to keep in the trailer always include rice, Liptons chicken noodle soup and other dried soup mixes, mostly vegitable based, pasta, powdered milk, misc sauce mixes and Bullion Cubes if different flavors, saltines, instant shmashed taters and hangaburger helpless mixes.

With these items, you can make very flavorful soups, pasta dishes and side dishes, sans fresh meat. Sometimes, if it's a quick trip, I skip the store altogether.

One of my favorite dishes is simply spaghetti in the Liptons soup mix. Simple, lots of flavor, and easy to make.

Saltines make your soups a bit stouter, even when they have staled, Adding rice works great too.

I just use some of the same recipes I HAD to use during my young adult starving student days.

These items got me thru a couple days at Heartbar when we were all to lazy to drive the 20 miles to Big Bear. (That changed quickly when the Dr Pepper ran out tho)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I kinda did things in reverse. I kept a dry erase board for camping only and kept adding to it each time we camped and I forgot something I'd like. Worked very well when we eventually took our month long trip. I don't keep bedding/cushions/towels etc in the trailer, but they're all together in the same place, so easy to grab. Out time is under an hour too.
Christine
Thank you for all the ideas. I like the Dry Erase Board idea.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Small RVs are notoriously short of space for stuff like dry erase boards. We changed the front trim panel in the door of our refrigerator to a blackboard, made by just painting a suitably-sized panel of 1/8" hardboard with special blackboard paint; I think that a dry erase board could be used as a door panel in the same way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blackboard_300x400_80.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	5522
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I have an advantage in this matter. My Scamp stays packed for the road, because there's really no place to unpack it to. I have no garage, and little storage in the converted barn we call home. The cellar is my best storage, but that requires me carrying the gear in the front door, through two narrow doorways, out the kitchen door and down several stairs- after I open the tornado-shelter-style cellar door. So the Scamp has become my handy utility shed to store camping and sports gear. In fact, next time I take it out, I might need an extra 15 minutes to unpack it a bit.

What slows me down is assembling the toiletries, cameras and personal items. And food, you say? You can buy that on the way, and help out the local economy of some little town you pass through.

If I faced Gina's wildfire danger, no doubt I'd be more organized!
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote