Indoor cooktop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Indoor cooktop

I am considering ordering a new FGRV if I cannot find one close to my needs. If so, I am considering eliminating the indoor cooktop because I have a Camp Chef Stove/Oven I take with me to use. I also have a Camp Chef 2 burner outdoor cook top. And, I use a Dutch Oven to cook outdoors too. I rarely, use the indoor cook top, only to make coffee or turn on to warm up the little Scamp. In a smaller trailer, 15', I could use the counter space more than the cook top. Since my search for a used trailer brings up custom ones that I could not use, I am looking to make mine useful to me, but not affect the resale value or potential alot.

So, my question to everyone is: Would you miss the indoor cook top if it were not there?

Tks,

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Alice, I also cook outdoors. I had a stove and oven combo in my Biggar...never used it, so I took it out last summer to get more counter space. If the Biggar ever gets sold....highly unlikely....the new owners can put a stovetop in. I have left the propane lines there for that purpose also.
Marina
Old 01-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
DW and I looked at ordering a new trailer once and we were not going to order a cooktop like you, but we were going to have other gas appliances. We just made sure the gas connection was available to add a range later if needed. Adding a range with gas available is not that hard or expensive. With a range it is easier to add one than patch a hole after removal.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
We also do most of our cooking out doors. Generally make coffee inside first thing in the morning. Have been camping in inclement weather ( we do live in the great north wet) and have been glad a cook top was available to heat up a can or soup or something simple for supper. I made a removable cover for the cooktop that gives us the counterspace but still allows us to use the stove. Works for us.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We have a stove top and oven combo. After 8 years we've not used the oven and only use the cook top for coffee in the am. Very infrequently we heat up something on the stovetop for a meal, maybe a handful of times a year. We could easily do without as long as we have the Coleman 2 burner and the backpacking single burner for am coffee, but do find it convenient to have. We are dropping the oven on ur next trailer and might go to a 2 burner as opposed to a 3 for the cook top. I would be hesitant to NOT get a couple burners, if nothing else it should make resale easier.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #6

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
WE use our stove and oven on almost every camp out. Hot corn bread is just great coming out of the oven. We have a Bigfoot 21. We also cook some things outside on our Cobb cooker.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
The Snoozy has no cooktop. But it does come with a two burner
hot plate. We haven't even taken it on our trips. It's sitting in
my storage closet. May try using it this summer, but could easily
do with out it.

I think it depends a lot on what your style is.
Every thing I do can be done on a campfire.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #8

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Have never cooked on my 3 burner. Usually cook outdoors over a fire or use the Coleman stove.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I carry a Coleman stove to cook outside. It could be used inside too so I vote no to having a stove top installed. Id rather have the counter top for my New Wave oven. Coffee isn't on my morning hit list. I have a cover over my stove top didn't remove it once last year to cook.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Our range gets used for occasional Jiffy Pop in rainy weather and daily hot tea; two vital and nutritious foods. Little else. We do most important cooking like Wisconsin bratwurst, marshmallows, s'mores, etc. outside. ;-)

Still we wouldn't do without the inside capability since we usually dry camp in Fall and Spring's iffy weather.

Best 2014 to all, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It's there when I want it and gone when I don't...
(Although, I wish they made a one burner at half the size)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0031.JPG   Pic013.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #12

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
This wasn't a scientific statistical analysis, but it looks like generally, most people could do without the cooktop. As for coffee, I could use a drip coffee maker if I have electric or a generator. (Habitat for Humanity had hotel room coffee makers for $6 when a local hotel was torn down.) I would definitely take the suggestion to have the trailer plumbed for gas to the area for a cooktop if needed in the future. Before I got the Camp Chef stove/oven it was a pain to take everything off the cover of the stove top, put it on the bed, cook, clean, then put everything back. In a larger trailer it may not be much of a problem, but in a 13' or 15' space is at a premium.

Thanks for the input everyone.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #13

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
I'd love the option of a single burner cooktop with the ability to have a cover on it that's flush to the counter, thus having flat counterspace unless you need to cook. We cook outside unless weather determines otherwise, but feel the stove is worth having. Not sure if the counter space gained is worth hauling around a Coleman camp stove that needs to be stored, set up, etc.

Closest I've found is the european Smev units:

Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Hard to beat this little guy for compactness, been taking it along for years. Also comes in handy during home power outages and long hikes. Makes coffee or tea too.

padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's all about camping style and I mean NOT what you've done in the past, but what do you plan to do in the future? I can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times I've fired up the propane stove in my trailer after all the years I've owned it. BUT, my future trailer is going to be used in really CRAPPY weather, like major storms over looking the Pacific ocean. No way would I even consider cooking outside. My past is the past, my future is looking forward. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #16

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Not only would I miss the cook top, I wouldn't even consider a camper without one.

I understand your need to maximize counter space and would also suggest the stove cover. Of course it's your trailer so make of it what you will but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that most people don't want or need a stove in their campers. Its standard equipment in most RVs for a reason.

Our current camper allows the stove to be hooked up outside as well and we've found that to be very useful.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #17

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Indoor cooktop

Preferring to cook outside, the Mr. and I have not used our cooktop in the 2 years we've owned our baby. Like Floyd he made a cover for the cooktop and another we can put over the sink area. They are flush to each other and greatly increase our space. We use it for the coffee maker, the water filter pitcher and associated items for the coffee.

Twice we have used our small portable induction cooktop when it was just too rainy, cold and blustery outside. Unfortunately said induction cooktop went belly-up at the fall rally in Cherokee, NC and we've yet to replace it. Reckon we'll be using the Coleman or our traveling George Foreman Tabletop Grill for a while till we sort out the details of replacement or not.

In this way we have more usable space without affecting what resale value might still exist come the day we stop doing this.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We too do the vast majority of our cooking outside, HOWEVER, I would never give up a stove inside either. We have used it in inclement weather, or for a quick one night stop.

We have a a Dometic/Smev unit similar to what Nate posted, and it closes flush to the countertop, allowing it to be used to put stuff on. Ours has a separate lid for the stove and sink, so on the rare occasions we do dishes inside, the stove top can be the drying platform. We just love this unit, but would go for a two burner next time instead.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
How about this fellow for only $22.00?

Amazon.com: GasOne GS-3000 Portable Gas Stove with Color Box, Black: Sports & Outdoors
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 2.28.04 PM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
That would work in the Snoozy and Egg Camper (total electric campers)
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote