Info for Canadian buying a US camper. - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
Posts: 41
Info for Canadian buying a US camper.

Going to the USA to buy a used Scamp trailer and bring it back to Nova Scotia. Besides a VISA and the courage to go through with the frustration of the wild money exchange, and Gov. regulations, were do I get necessary reliable info, and things to watch for that may not be in that info? Any 25 year clause on US trailers?
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 9,450
Registry
Mel, your link appears to go nowhere, but I've not heard of any changes affecting the purchase or importation of used travel trailers.

I believe you meant to say "passport," not "visa." My recollection is the age at which a trailer is considered "vintage" and doesn't have to be certified as meeting Canadian transportation requirements is 16 years going north into Canada. The 25-year rule applies to trailers coming into the US.

The place to star your research would be your provincial vehicle registration office and the Canadian Border Services Agency.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
Member
 
Jennifer Minogue's Avatar
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Casita
Ontario
Posts: 78
Registry
Importing trailer to canada

We just did this last month with a casita which we brought to ontario from Michigan.

1. Have bill of sale. This determines the taxes.😊

2. Have title signed by the owner.

3. We did not need plates for Michigan. We had 3 days to drive it home. We DID make sure we had insured it by calling our car insurance provider.

4. At the border we supplied the title and bill of sale. We then paid the federal portion of the hst (5%?).

5. We then went to the nearest license office (sarnia) and got a plate. We then paid the provincial portion of the hst (8%).

6. A few weeks later we get a notice from RIV in the mail telling us to go on line, fill in a form with info off the manufacturer's plate, and pay $335. A week or so later we get a form from RIV to take to an approved inspector. There is a link to find the nearest one. Hmmm, they were all Canadian Tire stores

7. We go to Can Tire and get "inspected". The inspector faxes the form to RIV. A couple weeks later we get a sticker to affix to the trailer next to the USA one.

8. As a special added task, we got a notice from the ontario license office that the title was wrong because the clerk forgot to convert pounds to kilograms so they needed to re-issue it.

We did not have to drive over provincial borders to get it home so I speak to how long you can drive it around without plates.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Member
 
Jennifer Minogue's Avatar
 
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Casita
Ontario
Posts: 78
Registry
Cannot speak, that is.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
Member
 
Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
Posts: 41
Info for Canadian buying a US camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Mel, your link appears to go nowhere, but I've not heard of any changes affecting the purchase or importation of used travel trailers.

I believe you meant to say "passport," not "visa." My recollection is the age at which a trailer is considered "vintage" and doesn't have to be certified as meeting Canadian transportation requirements is 16 years going north into Canada. The 25-year rule applies to trailers coming into the US.

The place to star your research would be your provincial vehicle registration office and the Canadian Border Services Agency.



Thank you for reply and info. I did mean passport and not visa. I failed to proofread what I had written. :-(
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Member
 
Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Minogue View Post
We just did this last month with a casita which we brought to ontario from Michigan.

1. Have bill of sale. This determines the taxes.😊

2. Have title signed by the owner.

3. We did not need plates for Michigan. We had 3 days to drive it home. We DID make sure we had insured it by calling our car insurance provider.

4. At the border we supplied the title and bill of sale. We then paid the federal portion of the hst (5%?).

5. We then went to the nearest license office (sarnia) and got a plate. We then paid the provincial portion of the hst (8%).

6. A few weeks later we get a notice from RIV in the mail telling us to go on line, fill in a form with info off the manufacturer's plate, and pay $335. A week or so later we get a form from RIV to take to an approved inspector. There is a link to find the nearest one. Hmmm, they were all Canadian Tire stores

7. We go to Can Tire and get "inspected". The inspector faxes the form to RIV. A couple weeks later we get a sticker to affix to the trailer next to the USA one.

8. As a special added task, we got a notice from the ontario license office that the title was wrong because the clerk forgot to convert pounds to kilograms so they needed to re-issue it.

We did not have to drive over provincial borders to get it home so I speak to how long you can drive it around without plates.



Thank you Jennifer Minogue for your reply and info on your Gov. sponsored marry go round. I will keep your info in mind.
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
Member
 
Name: Mel
Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th wheel
Nova Scotia
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Comeau View Post
Thank you Jennifer Minogue for your reply and info on your Gov. sponsored marry go round. I will keep your info in mind.
Merry go round. :-)
Mel Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Be Careful Out There-Buying a camper online jetalkington Money Matters 5 01-30-2013 10:25 PM
HELP me. I am NEW to RV's & Need info...Buying a tiny Uhaul MichiganGirl Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 33 03-14-2012 03:28 PM
buying camper in Canada? sblattner58 Hi, I am.... 4 04-27-2011 05:06 PM
Need Info about Buying a 15-17ft trailer Margaret C General Chat 14 06-02-2009 07:18 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.