Info on mid-90s 6'11" Bigfoot Truck Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 02:12 PM   #1

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Info on mid-90s 6'11" Bigfoot Truck Camper M-15-C-6.11

A few months ago, a member of one of the Bigfoot groups on Facebook posted about a Bigfoot camper he had recently acquired with plans to slide it into a new Ford Ranger! He said that it was a "Bigfoot 1500-611" with a dry weight of 1,025 lbs. He also said that his is a 1995, and that they were only built for 2 years.

I've played around with different variations of the model name, but continue to come up empty handed. Has anyone seen one of these unicorns?

What's the actual model name? (Received a PM. Some searching turned up M-15-C-6.11 on NADAguides, which lists this is a 7' long camper produced 1994-1996.)
How many were built?
Is the claimed weight accurate?
What does the interior layout look like? East-West bed, dinette, and kitchenette?
What are the tank sizes (if any)?
Did any other molded FG manufacturer make a truck camper this small?

I'm comparing to Hallmark pop-up campers, and their lightest outfitted model, the 6.5' La Veta, is 1,212 lbs. So the weight claim here just seems way low.
Attached Thumbnails
69812447_10216054485260553_6929850666043047936_o.jpg  
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Claimed dry weights are typically much lower than actual weight in use. To be fair, dry weight is NOT actual in service weight. So it really shouldn't match.

In addition, many owners never get a real weight on their trailers, so its not unusual for people to report these figures as fact. And of course, in this age of the internet, you will always find examples of people doing stuff that should not be copied.

The only two molded FG trailer manufacturers I know of that make pick up campers are Northern Lite and Bigfoot. All of their current stuff is much bigger/heavier.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #3

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Claimed dry weights are typically much lower than actual weight in use. To be fair, dry weight is NOT actual in service weight. So it really shouldn't match.

In addition, many owners never get a real weight on their trailers, so its not unusual for people to report these figures as fact. And of course, in this age of the internet, you will always find examples of people doing stuff that should not be copied.

The only two molded FG trailer manufacturers I know of that make pick up campers are Northern Lite and Bigfoot. All of their current stuff is much bigger/heavier.
That's why I'm seeking clarification from the collective knowledge base here. I suspect this is a "guy I bought it from told me so" kind of situation. He also states his Ranger payload capacity as 1,900 lbs, yet Ford gives the max payload as 1,860 lbs on the 4x2 SuperCab. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and say he rounded up, but his photos clearly show a 4x4 SuperCab, which Ford rates at 1,650 lbs.

So to sum it up, I don't trust what little info he has provided and don't care to pick a fight.

As a family, we'll always be trailer people, but I could have fun with a lightweight camper that I could drop into a 1/2 ton and take off with. This isn't something I will actively look for, but if I ever stumble across one I'd like to know whether or not it's worth buying.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #4

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
For what it's worth: according to Wikipedia, the Ford Ranger is a quarter-ton pickup.

The owner's manual for my 2007 Ford Ranger says: Your Ranger Pickup is not recommended for slide–in camper bodies.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Merry Christmas!

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #5

Name: Craig
Trailer: Bigfoot
Erie
I own a 1995 Bigfoot 6.11

You were asking about weight. The data plate says 535.3kg = 1180lbs empty.
I have taken my truck over a set of scales empty and with the camper and can confirm that number is accurate.

This is the camper on my 1991 Ford Ranger.
https://share.getcloudapp.com/yAuvo875
That year of Ranger has a solid front axle so the GVWR was higher than the new models that have independent front suspension.

This is the camper on my current truck which is a 2005 Toyota Tundra
https://share.getcloudapp.com/KouWLzG4

What else would you like to know?

Craig
Craig.Elder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot