Inline hose water filter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

Name: DaveWI
Trailer: 2014 16‘ Scamp Deluxe
Wisconsin
Inline hose water filter

Looking for a little advice. We‘ll be camping up on the Gunflint Trail right in the heart of iron country. Thinking about purchasing a camco in-line hose filter since the water has lots of iron. Does anyone have any experience with one of those. Will the take the iron taste out or am I best going with bottled water? Thanks for any advice.
DaveWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #2

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
In-line filter

You can get the "Camco" filters at Walmart.

That removes a load of stuff, but use a Brita pitcher filter for drinking and cooking. That clears most everything else. Brita has one that is also good for lead.

HTH

BatDude
Old 02-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #3

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
I’ve used the inline hose filter when filling the water tank, and glad I have. Last time I couldn’t find the filter, and definitely noticed the mineral/chlorine flavor. The filter with the flex hose adapter is kinda a ripoff, just get the two pack filters.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:59 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHoffman View Post
Looking for a little advice. We‘ll be camping up on the Gunflint Trail right in the heart of iron country. Thinking about purchasing a camco in-line hose filter since the water has lots of iron. Does anyone have any experience with one of those. Will the take the iron taste out or am I best going with bottled water? Thanks for any advice.
We buy our inline filters on line and they can be much cheaper. Same filter just better price. We never fill up or hook up without one. I also use a Brita pitcher with filter to filter our drinking water. We never buy drinking water hardly. Once in a while we'll grab a case of it. Usually use it at home for when our water used to get shut off all the time because of breaks in the city line. When they get close to out of date we take them camping just to get rid of them and once in a while when the water is just not good even after filtering it. We hook up a hose with filter and use it and if it tastes ok after a few hours we'll fill up the tank. Otherwise we don't. I can't see paying up to $1 a gallon for water when it is available in the campgrounds and sometimes rest areas have it available.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Filter

The Gunflint Trail area is not in the iron range deposits. Water there should be good. If you want "bottled" water, take some jugs from home and fill when you get to Grand Marais. Their municipal water comes from good ol' Lake Superior.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing M. View Post
The Gunflint Trail area is not in the iron range deposits. Water there should be good. If you want "bottled" water, take some jugs from home and fill when you get to Grand Marais. Their municipal water comes from good ol' Lake Superior.
We lived on the Mn Iron Range for a while and camped, fished and hunted along the Gunflint trail for many years .
The water along the trail was fine for drinking , cooking , and cleaning . IMHO
If you want to filter your water go for it but we never saw any need

The water around the Mesabi Range does have a lot of iron in it
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:22 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Do they work yes, but will it work as well as you hope? Only you can answer that because some people are super sensitive to the smell and taste of the water they are drinking.

I figure I am pretty average, there are times when I have had some water that did not taste as good as I would have liked but I drank it anyway if I knew it was safe to do so and it was the only option.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Whether or not it improves the taste, a Camco filter will keep sand and other particulate matter out of your hose and plumbing. It is probably best to make it first in line followed by a pressure reducer, and then the hose. I personally wouldn’t hang a filter or a pressure regulator from the trailer’s plastic inlet fitting.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp