Inquiry RE Classified - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
May I ask why people are marking their classified ads as SOLD, rather than deleting them entirely. Who cares to look at the listing of Sold items when looking for a rig that is For Sale. If people want to view what's SOLD, is it possible to make a link for those who wish to advertise that they've already sold their unit?

Myself, when looking at the Classified, I want to see what is ON the Market, not what WAS on the Market. All those SOLD markings just dilute the importance of those who are trying to sell their units.

Just my feelings, since I'm seeking an inexpensive late model 19' 5th wheel deluxe, preferably with the tow truck.
Thanks for considering my input. FrancesM

FrancesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Well, I think it may be because the Blue book values for FG trailers are completely wrong and some people can get insurance using the current going prices. So it's not a bad resource.
But I could be wrong......
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Frances..
I think only the moderators can delete a posting.. I am not sure...... if we post we cant delete it that I know of.. so they just put SOLD....
I do see your input on it tho.... I am not looking so it doesnt matter either way with me..
Good luck on your search!! I am sure something is out there for you..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I wish when I check 'View New Posts' that the Buy/Sell thread could be omitted. Sometimes these ads are the most of the new posts. If one is really looking for a new trailer it is just the one forum to check. I know this was asked about before, but I either missed, or forgot (quite likely) the answer.

Most of the threads in the Buy/Sell forum are just links to something you could find in a Google search, and not ads by members here anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I (like other members) have used the for sale and referral section to cross check for prices of other used trailers. There is no where else on the web where you will find as many past and present listings for a single year/type of trailer then on FGRV.

Jim, a google search does not always find listings as quickly as needed. It takes a few days for a a page to be crawled - by that time most trailers that are a decent price are long gone. The last trailer I bought had 2 other people waiting in the wings and the ad was on the web for 1 day.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I am really glad that the sold are listed, it gave me a good idea when I was looking at what a reasonable price was for different years and models...just my .02 cents.
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
May I ask why people are marking their classified ads as SOLD, rather than deleting them entirely. Who cares to look at the listing of Sold items when looking for a rig that is For Sale. If people want to view what's SOLD, is it possible to make a link for those who wish to advertise that they've already sold their unit?

Myself, when looking at the Classified, I want to see what is ON the Market, not what WAS on the Market. All those SOLD markings just dilute the importance of those who are trying to sell their units.
Several reasons Frances.
  1. We are unable to delete the postings as mentioned earlier, only moderators can do that
  2. I personally, being one of the referral ad posters, don't want you wasting your time calling on sold trailers or harassing a seller who has already sold their trailer. I think it would be a greater disservice to your search if the one's we know are sold aren't marked
  3. One day if you sell a trailer or need to file an insurance claim, it will be an invaluable resource to go back and get a good idea of the market price for your trailer
It has been relayed to me that some of the members here have been upset about the frequency of posts in the referrals section. I'm probably the catalyst for that grumbling and for that I do apologize as I only intended to try and build up the resource of an already phenomenal website and group of people that I'm proud to be a part of.

I have taken that passion for seeking out fiberglass trailers for sale and now launched a website that is for Buying and Selling Molded Fiberglass Trailers

Perhaps they can arrive at some solutions here that will make the for sale sections less obtrusive, but the number of my referral postings will go down with the new Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com site launched and that should help in the interim.

I hope you are able to locate the trailer you are searching for.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #8

Registry
I do think the service you are doing is a great thing for folks Greg. I really do not want it gone, that's for sure. I just was wishing for there to be a way of listing new posts without the 'For Sale' ones showing up. I like your ideas for the moulded fiberglass for sale site. Best of luck with that.

Booker, I know what you mean by Googling not always being the answer. Conversely, when I was looking I found just a ton for sale that weren't listed here. I think it all depends on the search parameters you use. Some would turn up some ads, while minor changes would turn up different ones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
excellent site Greg !!! i like it
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
May I ask why people are marking their classified ads as SOLD, rather than deleting them entirely.

Thanks for considering my input. FrancesM
Thank you for asking, Frances.

I think people need to consider that whatever is posted on FiberglassRV.com [b]STAYS on FiberglassRV.com

The Moderators are usually the people who are marking SOLD- in the title of a classified ad. Individual members only have a limited time opportunity to <edit> a post that they have written.

pjanits got it right. The market for Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers does not follow conventional rules. Published NADA guides are worthless when trying to figure out values. These trailers do not depreciate as fast or as much as a conventionally built trailer does. We are maintaining a historical record, as well as discussing immediate issues. The record is of great value to anyone who has suffered a loss and needs to file a claim with their insurance company.

We do not discriminate on saving posts. Moderators delete ONLY the ones that do not follow these rules.
FiberglassRV.com sprang to life on-or-about September 14, 2002.
We were hacked, and the website (as we knew it) was destroyed on November 11, 2005.
But, because of the dedication of the founder, moderators, and membership, it did not die.

Over the past 7-1/2 years there have been 175,208 (and counting) individual posts made here. We still have them, available for anyone to search and read. Well, not ALL of the posts from between 09-14-02 and 11-11-05, but most of them, and ALL of the posts since.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Greg... Good site and you could add (www.escapeforum.org) to your owners groups listings.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We had a topic a while ago, that speaks to the needs to keep ads:
So you crashed your trailer... and now you need a value!, Or Dealing with Insurance Companies 101
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I just was wishing for there to be a way of listing new posts without the 'For Sale' ones showing up.
Here is a work around for you Jim,

log on
Go to the for sale section and mark forum as read using forum options
go to the referals section and mark forum as read

then get your new posts.

If it matters, I like that Greg has been posting the listings. And I like that Kevin has been taking the time to post the pictures. A few of us have been able to start tracking the differences between model years etc. much easier than we have been able to do so before. It is nice to have this info along with the price in the archives.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
After chewing on FrancesM's concerns and looking at some of the responses about researching for sales prices and insurance claims I made it happen.

I added a "Fiberglass RVs Sold" archive on fiberglass-rv-4sale broken down by brand. This will now allow a buyer to see only active fiberglass rvs for sale under the listings and the researchers and sellers to see the Sold trailers separately in their own archive.

Alf the escape forum is up now, thanks.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
I sometimes get that 'Two-foot-itis' feeling and this is a good resource for those seeking that bigger and better trailer. I often search through the listings just to look at something other than what I already have. At this stage it really doesn't matter whether there's a sold sign on it or not. Who knows, maybe one of these days I'll be enticed into making that life changing phone call and then someone else will add "SOLD" to theirs.
It's better to mark it sold than not, and have people constantly asking if it's still for sale long after it's been removed.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
I added a "Fiberglass RVs Sold" archive on fiberglass-rv-4sale broken down by brand. This will now allow a buyer to see only active fiberglass rvs for sale under the listings and the researchers and sellers to see the Sold trailers separately in their own archive.
Great idea for keeping thing organized Greg. Too bad the actual final sale price is often not revealed, as lots of things end up selling well under their asking price, and we never see that value.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I will chime in as well as to what a wonderful help all the ads no matter if For Sale or Sold. When I first made the decision to buy I knew nothing about them, Other than they were cute! By being able to read all the ad's and other posters comments about the particular trailer for sale, I was able to get a idea of what to look for and what to watch out for. Of course until I became active in my own search, jumping in and spending hours looking at eggs, did I really understand all that it takes for the wealth of information compiled in the referrals section. The first one I bought, I found, immediately come the the referral section and there it was, (Gregs Fast!) he had posted it 20 minutes before I found it in my daily searching. I was desperate to find one so bought it. Well a week later found the one I really wanted, and Thankfully was able to buy it before it was posted here. Thankfully it happened to be a few days before Greg posted it, cause he was out of town. But for me the referral section was the reason I was able to find our first and second egg. Of course the other sections of the forum have wonderful people posting useful tips, hints, etc and may not be as active at getting the info that the referral section does because it's ever changeing, fresh, current, info. But that is just my opinion. and wonder if there is an issue for others, could the SOLD Sign be posted in a bright color/or bold, so that way we who love the information would still have access but for those who don't want to take the time to look at a sold ad could just scroll on by?

Greg, Don't appoligize! The time you take to search is sooooooooooo un-understood. I know! I was getting carpile tunnel just searching for myself. But I was determined to find one. But had you not built up that section, I know myself and others would be very mis-informed consummers. Thank You for all you have done! Wonderful to see your new web site! Your comitment to helping other enjoy the journey of fiberglass is priceless. Best of Luck with it! Robin

What I think is sad, is so many people check out the refferal section during their search for a egg, yet they don't come back and post that they bought it! How sad. If they only knew what it takes to search thru all the crap posted everyday (craigslist, local for sale ads, newspaper, ebay,) to be able to post the few possibilities for sale they would be thankful for all the possibilities posted for them and at least come back and say hey it was me who bought it! And maybe Thank the person who posted the ad so that they could buy it. Now that being said, when I was in my search I always posted ad's I found that I wanted to pass along to others because it wasn't right for me or even now when I am bored I will post a few and there were a couple of people who did say hey I bought it, and I did get a Pm Thanking me for one he bought. But that was it. I can't imagine how many ads Greg and others who post on a regular basis yet, I have rarely seen a Thank You and even fewer Hey I bought it! It truely is very time consumming search and I for one will be sad to see less new for sale referrals from the master at referrals "Greg"
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Myself, when looking at the Classified, [b]I want to see what is ON the Market, not what WAS on the Market. All those SOLD markings just dilute the importance of those who are trying to sell their units.

We have created a new procedure. I have volunteered to maintain it.
It will be my daily task to read all of the "For Sale" postings.
Once we get notification that a unit has sold (by the originator adding a post to the end saying it is sold) I will move that post to the "Sold Archive".

Please be patient, It will take me a day or two(or 3) to get it current.

Then, the only posts in the "for sale" forum SHOULD be active posts. This will include "referrals".
If I do [b]not get notified that a unit is sold, it will stay actively For Sale.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #19

Registry
Sounds like a good plan Frederick.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Great idea Fredrick, kinda like the Archived rally topics. Thanks for not getting rid of the Sold's.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote